New- Castrol GTX Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of a motor oil that reduces start up wear appeals to me. After all, most wear is supposed to take place at start up, right? As long as the oil actually works. And as long as the oil is not too expensive. I don't worry too much about extended oil changes because with all of the dust you can encounter where I live I think it is probably wise to change oil more often.

But when will this Castrol oil be available? I went to an Advance Auto Store today and bought some Redline fuel system cleaner. Just added the Redline stuff today so I can't really say too much right now. And I checked to see if Purolator makes an oil filter element for my car (they do, the cheapest I have found so far). But I sure did not see any of this Castrol GTX Start Up oil.

We won't have to search for this stuff like we did with the German Castrol, will we?

Interesting, im starting to like castrol more and more now that they are getting their euro oils here in na
smile.gif
slx, now magnatec.... cool!

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
The idea of a motor oil that reduces start up wear appeals to me. After all, most wear is supposed to take place at start up, right?

I honestly don't believe that though, especially in the summer. I think more wear occurs during acceleration than on startup.

The former Castrol dude reckoned that the most wear occured after the thick, cold oil started to thin out with heat, and before the anti wear additives kicked in.

Not just the fact that the engine was started cold.

I haven't seen a dry part of any engine that I've pulled to bits.

quote:

He stated that with the residual of the Magnatec, both the M1 and the flushing oils performed better after the magnatec had been run.

But how did the Magnatec perform against the M1 ?

Rick.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
The former Castrol dude reckoned that the most wear occured after the thick, cold oil started to thin out with heat, and before the anti wear additives kicked in.

Not just the fact that the engine was started cold.

That's true, I should clarify that I do believe that during an engine's warm up phase a lot of wear can occur, but only if you put too much strain on an engine. If you're running an oil which flows very well on startup (such as a 0w oil) and you drive it gentle during the first 5min of operation, you shouldn't get too much wear taking place.

this could be a really great oil for delivery guys and other people who start and stop their engine alot during the working day.
every time you start an engine, is has zero oil pressure.

I gotta admit this is an interesting oil, i'd like to see some VOAs and UOAs on it... but if you really want the most protection, why not spend a little more and get a full synthetic... like gc, or if you want all the esters your money can buy just go with Redline and do slightly longer intervals... I dunno, im not big on synth blends (unless its blending one full synthetic with another full synthetic!
wink.gif

One quick thought... last time I checked, esters were not polar. Perhaps this oil has some higher alcohols it it, like octanol or C10, or even some higher glycols.

Like I said, just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by Vuarra:
One quick thought... last time I checked, esters were not polar. Perhaps this oil has some higher alcohols it it, like octanol or C10, or even some higher glycols.

Like I said, just a thought.

Ester Chemistry

In many ways esters are very similar to the more commonly known and used synthetic hydrocarbons or PAOs. Like PAOs, esters are synthesized from relatively pure and simple starting materials to produce predetermined molecular structures designed specifically for high performance lubrication. Both types of synthetic basestocks are primarily branched hydrocarbons which are thermally and oxidatively stable, have high viscosity indices, and lack the undesirable and unstable impurities found in conventional petroleum based oils. The primary structural difference between esters and PAOs is the presence of multiple ester linkages (COOR) in esters which impart polarity to the molecules. This polarity affects the way esters behave as lubricants in the following ways:

1. Volatility: The polarity of the ester molecules causes them to be attracted to one another and this intermolecular attraction requires more energy (heat) for the esters to transfer from a liquid to a gaseous state. Therefore, at a given molecular weight or viscosity, the esters will exhibit a lower vapor pressure which translates into a higher flash point and a lower rate of evaporation for the lubricant. Generally speaking, the more ester linkages in a specific ester, the higher its flash point and the lower its volatility.

2. Lubricity: Polarity also causes the ester molecules to be attracted to positively charged metal surfaces. As a result, the molecules tend to line up on the metal surface creating a film which requires additional energy (load) to penetrate. The result is a stronger film which translates into higher lubricity and lower energy consumption in lubricant applications.

3. Detergency/Dispersency: The polar nature of esters also makes them good solvents and dispersants. This allows the esters to solubilize or disperse oil degradation by-products which might otherwise be deposited as varnish or sludge, and translates into cleaner operation and improved additive solubility in the final lubricant.

4. Biodegradability: While stable against oxidative and thermal breakdown, the ester linkage provides a vulnerable site for microbes to begin their work of biodegrading the ester molecule. This translates into very high biodegradability rates for ester lubricants and allows more environmentally friendly products to be formulated.

http://www.hatcocorporation.com/pages/about_esters.html

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:

quote:

Originally posted by Audioquest:
This sounds very similar to Canadian Tire's Motomaster Formula 1 with "Wearguard".

Do you know what "wearguard" is made from ?

I would be willing to bet that "Wearguard" is simply Canadian Tire's name for moly.

I have to wonder one thing... Esters are excellent cleaners, right? And they cling well to metal, right? Overall GTX has a rather low volatility (according to an amsoil pamphlet I saw the other day, it was better than M1 in the grade used to compare).

So, if you want a dino oil, because you get better wear numbers, dont want to spend the $$$ or whatever, but you worry about varnish and sludge contamination of your engine, I would assume that this oil is about as good as it can get.

The esters would keep the metal surfaces clean of varnish, and would most likely suspend sludge well too. The low NOACKvolatility of GTX would keep the oil from breaking down very much, and the overall oil would be pretty good formostapps then, right?

In theory at least?

JMH

I think the funniest thing is the commercial for the stuff....It has a Ford Focus in it which uses the wonderful 5w20 spec.....They dont even make this stuff in 5w20
grin.gif

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back