new cars, no hood light, plastic tipped oil dipsti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some fords have them prewired, you just got to provide the bulb, like my dad's F250. I wish the thing had a more solid dipstick, and probably shorter too.

My '99 Jeep Cherokee has one, but I burned it out power washing the engine last year and haven't bothered to replace it. Perhaps this spring after the engine gets its post-winter cleaning.

My dad has an '02 Grand Cherokee and it does not have the light.

heres one better.i was looking at a new sonata thinking of trading my older one and noticed that there was no key hole to open the trunk.when i asked the sales man about it he said the release was on the driverside door the same as my older one i said thats great how do you open it if the battery is dead and you need to get your jummper cables.his reply carry them under the seat.

My car has also forgone the trunk key hole and passenger door key hole.

Since they were so infrequently used on my last car, in fact I don't think the trunk keyhole even worked, I don't really miss them.

Last edited:
My car doesn't have a trunk keyhole either (button on the key remote) but at least it's got a mechanical cable release on the driver side door sill.

Yikes...I don't think I have a keyhole either. My trunk's locking mechanism basically disables the trunk handle so if the car's locked and the battery's dead, I won't be getting into the trunk. The seats don't fold down either. Great idea, Mazda.

Doesn't JC Whitney still sell the underhood light and wiring? I bought one for my Oldsmobile about 12 years ago, but never got around to installing it. If you know how, you could wire it in yourself, right?

I agree, they keep decontenting cars. No oil pressure gauge (and they keep spelling it "gage"! Gah!), no keyholes on the passenger door.

ETA: I just had a look at JCW. There doesn't seem to be anything like the old mercury-switch light; search for "underhood light" and you get those work lights in a cage and on a cable for use in your garage. Grrrr . . .

Some GM cars in the '50's and '60's came with these huge underhood lights. Sometimes they were mounted in the trunk. They were removable and held in place with a clip. There was a cord winder on them (explains the large size) and IIRC, there was a magnet on the back so you could stick it to the fender when you change a flat.

The glass lens was kind of conical shaped; the upper half was red colored, the bottom half was clear, IIRC.

My friend had a '70 Toyota Corona that had a miniature drop light that you plugged into a recepticle in the glove box.

My IROC has an underhood light. In an attempt to get brighter light, I replaced the #93 bulb with a #1156. Yes, it was much brighter, but the bulb burned so hot that the inside of the bulb became cloudy and quickly burned out after an hour or so.

The 09' chevy trailblazer LT1 doesn't come with a spare tire,only a bottle of tire sealant and a small inflator.

gary

The 07 civic has a horrible orange plastic dipstick, I find it very hard to read (3-4 pulls to get a good reading). The Escape a traditional metal dipstip nice crosshatch, very easy to read.

Originally Posted By: lt2000
The 09' chevy trailblazer LT1 doesn't come with a spare tire,only a bottle of tire sealant and a small inflator.

gary

Why would GM change this on the final year of production? Is this for the SS model?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Think of the money a company bleeding red ink would save by not putting these items in a ton of production units...
Think of how much you pay for the car cinsidering all the quality has been taken out.

I once climbed into a car through the trunk because an idiot had boxed it in with the other side being close to a wall. I parked close to the wall to make sure there was lots of room on the driver's side of the parking space in case some idiot parked badly, but I got out-idioted.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Doesn't JC Whitney still sell the underhood light and wiring? I bought one for my Oldsmobile about 12 years ago, but never got around to installing it. If you know how, you could wire it in yourself, right?

Sure you could...if you want to go re-content your $55,700.00 GMC Yukon DenaliXL from the JC Whitney catalog.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Think of the money a company bleeding red ink would save by not putting these items in a ton of production units...

A practice called "decontenting" which was almost never employed by GM until recent years. Ford has been doing it for several decades. It works like this: You launch a new vehicle platform with all the extra switches, latches, interior trim extras etc etc built into a "sport package" or other similar terms which gives the vehicle a real luxury look & feel. This generates rave reviews in the Automotive media and from people like Motortrend & Edmunds. After year 2 of the platform you begin eliminating all the "extras" and live off of all the good press you got from the media at launch. Then the consumer who sees his neighbors new XXX SUV that looks great comes running in and buys one without all the extra content.

This is really a disgusting, dishonest and misleading practice on the part of the automakers IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back