New Car Oil Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I wanted to say this site is a great resource. Here is my question. I have recently purchased a brand new 2003 Mazdaspeed Protégé. Until I found your site I had planned on the following. To change the oil after the 600 mile break in period and use Mobil 1 0w-40 oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter. I liked the idea of having a 0w oil for cold start purposes and the higher 40 rating because I live in South Texas were it gets very hot in the summer. This is my first turbocharged car and I wanted to use a synthetic oil because I know that a car with a turbo is tough on oil. After searching on the site I have found mixed reviews for the Mobil 1 0w-40. I would be using a 5000 mile oil and filter change interval as this car is my daily driver. What do you guys think? I am open to both oil and oil filter suggestions. By the way the owners manual recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

M1 0w-40 is a 30w grade oil and over rated based on testing we see in actual operation. for 5000 mile intervals.

When Terry speaks, I listen.

Terry can you expand on this statement.
Mobil 1 0w-40 has passed more certification than any other oil I know of in USA.
It comes as factory fill in many cars costing well over $75,000 and although we all know it thins a bit, your statement as "over rated" peaked my interest.

Your analysis of a batch of this oil from my wife's Jetta showed " no problems " .

In your climate, Amsoil 10W-40 will be the ticket. I like this oil. I wouldn't go 15-20K with it, but for under 10K intervals, it will work great and is about 60% the cost of Redline.

Nosmo, most of the high quality oils that are made by some of the smaller blenders exceed the battery of testing too. They just can't afford to submit to each and every one.

My issue with the M1 0w-40 is exactly what we see in analysis a 30w motor oil. Why not call it 0w-30 ? Maybe then I wouldn't be picky about it.

Did the oil in the wifes Jetta thin out of advertised grade ? Did you ask me for a another oil choice or tell me what you wanted to use ?

I have to be careful because many folks know what they want to use and if I suggest another they blow me off or accuse me of pushing a particular product. Your ambient operating temps may have been a issue too.
South Texas is a bit hotter than your neck of the woods ! So you need the colder wx consideration taken.
Nosmo, I almost forgot....Thanks for your business !!

Terry

[ October 03, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

If you really want to protect that turbo, you should install a post lubrication system. This lubricates the turbo bearings after engine shutdown to prevent oil from coking onto the turbos bearings. There's several manufacturers of these systems. One that looks pretty impressive is the Turbosafe made by Industrial Diesel Products Inc. This device does prelubrication as well as post lubrication. Do a search on turbosafe on Yahoo and you'll see it.

Forget that last post. I just found the Wix filters website and did a dealer search and found a retailer. Thanks again.

As stated before, you can also find Wix filters at Napa as 'Napa Gold" filters and at Carquest as "Carquest Premium" filters. Just find the place thats the closest or cheapest!

IMO, anything from Amsoil, M1 10w-30 and German Castrol would be my choices.
smile.gif

By the way the owners manual recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30. Thanks.

Whatever you use..make sure that you don't violate any warrenty provision!!!

Most Racing proteges are running racing Redline in various weights.

The 5w-30 or 10w-30 RL would be a good choice.

For a 5000 drain I would use Schaeffers 7000 Blend with about 1 oz of LC per qt and verify dosage by analysis. This would be the most cost effective route.

M1 0w-40 is a 30w grade oil and over rated based on testing we see in actual operation. The 10w-30 Super syn is satisfactory if you desire M1.You do not need a PP depressed oil for South Texas.

Another oil that may be an option is VP racing fuels all ester based 10w-40 , possibly the 5w-30. They are blended in San Antonio and I'm seeing preliminary results that would be perfect for 5000 mile intervals.

Wix would be my choice at this time for oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back