New car oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2012 Ford Fiesta has consumed about a third of a litte of oil in its first 6000 km. ( 3600 miles ). Is it normal for a new motor to burn a bit of oil during break in?

Btw I love the car!!

Some engines use some oil during break in, some don't. How much did you use? 1/3 liter in 3600 miles? If so no worries.

It can be normal but most important question is how did you break it in? Easy? Hard? One long drive? What kind of typical use profile do you have?

Thanks for replying , I broke it in with varied revs and 50/50 city hiway. I took it easy for the first 200 miles and gradually used harder acceleration.

ALL engines HAVE to USE oil.. (some more than others)

1/3 a liter in 3600 miles? Forget about it!
grin2.gif

Nothing at all to worry about.

Enjoy the new ride, Bill

You've got nothing to worry about. My 3.5 uses a quart every 1-1.5k and is pretty typical for the engine.

Pretty normal. The rings are still seating to the cylinder walls. Consumption usually doesn't bottom out until after 10,000 miles, in my experience.

Hopfully it settles out.

I am astounded in 8000 miles my 3.7L Acura V6 does not burn/consume a drop.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Hopfully it settles out.

I am astounded in 8000 miles my 3.7L Acura V6 does not burn/consume a drop.

I have a 2012 Acura TL 3.7. Used 1/2 Qt during the first 5600 miles. Changed the oil to Pennzoil Ultra (motor minder at 15%). Hopefully consumption will decrease during this oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
You've got nothing to worry about. My 3.5 uses a quart every 1-1.5k and is pretty typical for the engine.
On the 3.5 - There's a problem - that's out of the realm of NORMAL.

The only car I have ever had that didn't use oil were a couple Toyota's and a BMW. The rest have always needed oil every so often. If I did 3k OCI's it wouldn't be an issue usually, but I don't.

The BMW might use oil, but the electronic gauge never goes down, so...

The only vehicles we own that use oil both have over 250k miles on them.

I own a 6.1 Hemi, and many will tell you it uses oil. Not mine. Never a drop, even at track days spent lapping at Homestead.

Too easy of a break in does a new engine no favors. Oil consumption is not normal in a new motor, just 'acceptable'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back