New Bridgestone Potenza 970AS - Balance issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza 970AS in 225/50/18 for my brand new Infiniti G37xS with stock alloys. Put them on the same day that I got the car as I did not want the Dunlops that came on it.

Local shop installed them, went off on a 3500 mile road trip. Anything over 60-65mph makes the steering wheel vibrate and shake a noticeable amount. Pressures are ok.

Got tired of it and stopped at an infiniti dealer and they rebalanced all 4 for free - at first seemed better but on the way back it got worse than ever, now that we are home and the car isn't loaded with 2 people and all our stuff.

Where do I start? I'm even getting the empty passenger seat shaking above 60-65mph.

These tires are made in Mexico, which Ill bet has something to do with it.

Good for you to burn an extra $1000 on tires when you have a brand new set. Did you get anything for the others?

Id start with getting the road force checked on all 4. Anything 19+ will be felt with the lower profile tires for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

My Mexico made 960s are just fine. His 970s must have been made by a different group of Mexicans.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Good for you to burn an extra $1000 on tires when you have a brand new set. Did you get anything for the others?

They cost a little under $700 shipped to me. The dunlops were sold for $500.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Agree with bourne. Did you have them roadforce balanced?

Not quite sure but I think they just used the normal spin up and apply weights. I just read up and it does sound like the way to go. I dont see them listed so I'll have to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Do it. If nothing else, a well trained Hunter RoadForce Balancer operator (emphasis on "well trained") should be able to determine if there are any structural issues with the tires that prevent them from being balanced properly and you should be able to use this evidence to get them exchanged.

What did you get for weights? Go take a careful look at them. If they're tape weights are they on the inside and outside or are they just one clump? If you got crimp on ones does the shape of the weight match the curve of the rim flange? There are half a dozen styles and if the wrong one is used the weights won't stick around.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe

Not quite sure but I think they just used the normal spin up and apply weights. I just read up and it does sound like the way to go. I dont see them listed so I'll have to go elsewhere.

DirtyApe,

We put a set of these on our R a couple months ago. RF balance is strongly recommended. That weeded out one bad one on ours, which was replaced on the spot. They've been TERRIFIC tires thereafter, and we were coming from Pilot Sports. Don't regret the purchase.

Don't let the Mexican origin spook you. It's a first-rate facility and the tires are solid.

We had a marginal Continental on our SL a month later, and that one was US-made. Also replaced on the spot.

Unless you pony up for a Michelin, this tends to happen with the UHP and lower profile models on all of them.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

DirtyApe,

We put a set of these on our R a couple months ago. RF balance is strongly recommended. That weeded out one bad one on ours, which was replaced on the spot. They've been TERRIFIC tires thereafter, and we were coming from Pilot Sports. Don't regret the purchase.

Don't let the Mexican origin spook you. It's a first-rate facility and the tires are solid.

We had a marginal Continental on our SL a month later, and that one was US-made. Also replaced on the spot.

Unless you pony up for a Michelin, this tends to happen with the UHP and lower profile models on all of them.

I'm checking to see if the rebalance while on our trip was using a RF machine. According to the 'locate a gsp9700', the Infiniti dealer where it was done has one, but I'm waiting on a callback.

Believe me I'd rather had Michelin, but all I really see in my size that is a 'high performance' tire is a summer-only and a grand touring model.
frown.gif

I'm checking to see if the rebalance while on our trip was using a RF machine. According to the 'locate a gsp9700', the Infiniti dealer where it was done has one, but I'm waiting on a callback.

Just 'cuz they have it, doesn't mean they use it. Demand it in writing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Just 'cuz they have it, doesn't mean they use it. Demand it in writing.

Can't get a callback from the dealer out in Denver. Looks like Firestone has a $69 lifetime roadforce balance deal, anything good or bad about them?

Firestone is hit or miss, depending on the shop. They'll try to sell you other services. Years ago, a business partner got a lifetime alignment from them, and made good use of it with no problems. Bridgestones are their home turf, however. So if you have any further problems with the tires, they may be best positioned to help.

I think you probably have a bad tire. In addition to whatever the vendor offers, B-Stone has a 30 day B&T return guarantee on them.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Firestone is hit or miss, depending on the shop. They'll try to sell you other services. Years ago, a business partner got a lifetime alignment from them, and made good use of it with no problems. Bridgestones are their home turf, however. So if you have any further problems with the tires, they may be best positioned to help.

I think you probably have a bad tire. In addition to whatever the vendor offers, B-Stone has a 30 day B&T return guarantee on them.

It seems like the price is all over the place for a 1-time balance, from 44.95 to 99.95 and this place is a lifetime. I know the tech doing it makes all the difference, but also know the machine is pretty advanced - the tech has to know how to run it too. I think I'll see more about the balance tomorrow.

Last edited:
99.95 per tire or per car?

Be sure to let them know you're chasing a specific problem, they can work with you and put any prospective duds on the rear where you'll feel them less, etc.

If you watch a tire on the balancer you can see if it's egg shaped (which you can miss if it's 1/4" runout) but of course not if its variably forgiving (which the road force should find.)

And yeah I'd try and get a new one under warranty. A road force balance of a crummy tire is kind of two wrongs making a right.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
99.95 per tire or per car?

Be sure to let them know you're chasing a specific problem, they can work with you and put any prospective duds on the rear where you'll feel them less, etc.

If you watch a tire on the balancer you can see if it's egg shaped (which you can miss if it's 1/4" runout) but of course not if its variably forgiving (which the road force should find.)

And yeah I'd try and get a new one under warranty. A road force balance of a crummy tire is kind of two wrongs making a right.

All those prices were for all 4. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back