New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire

Originally Posted by hp9000
Originally Posted by edyvw
They are both the exact same price. Both tires have the same load index (102) which translates to around 1800 lb per tire from what I read somewhere. That's almost the weight of the vehicle, and I don't know much about these things but I feel like the weight is distributed among the 4 tires, so there should be plenty of strength per tire. Anyway, that's beside the point. Bottom line, would you recommend the WS90 over the DM-V2 given that they cost the same? I guess what I'm asking is, what makes the DM-V2 different from the WSxx and better suited for a SUV like mine?

WS90 is tire that is introduced as response to some issues WS80 and DM-V2 generation had around ice performance.
So it is not design per se, as completely new compound, which is most important factor.

But can the WS90 be used on an SUV (Nissan Rogue) or is it only intended for cars? There's no DM-V3 available that I'm aware. And I know that people have used the WS80 on SUVs.

Nissan Rogue is technically a car. It sits on car platform. If load index is appropriate than use it. It is more appropriate for Rogue than DM-V2 which is made for large SUV's etc.

They are both the exact same price. Both tires have the same load index (102) which translates to around 1800 lb per tire from what I read somewhere. That's almost the weight of the vehicle, and I don't know much about these things but I feel like the weight is distributed among the 4 tires, so there should be plenty of strength per tire. Anyway, that's beside the point. Bottom line, would you recommend the WS90 over the DM-V2 given that they cost the same? I guess what I'm asking is, what makes the DM-V2 different from the WSxx and better suited for a SUV like mine?

WS90 is tire that is introduced as response to some issues WS80 and DM-V2 generation had around ice performance.
So it is not design per se, as completely new compound, which is most important factor.

But can the WS90 be used on an SUV (Nissan Rogue) or is it only intended for cars? There's no DM-V3 available that I'm aware. And I know that people have used the WS80 on SUVs.

Nissan Rogue is technically a car. It sits on car platform. If load index is appropriate than use it. It is more appropriate for Rogue than DM-V2 which is made for large SUV's etc.

Both WS90 and DM-V2 have the same load index (102). If it was different, that would have made my decision pretty simple from the start.

Use WS90, it is more advanced tire. DM-V2 in lateral handling in ice has poor performance and it is very uncomfortable when it happens.

I think I'll do that, I was starting to lean in that direction. Thanks!

It's been 3 years since Blizzak DM-V3 was introduced, and it still has not made its way into the USA market. Based on Scandinavian testing in 2022 by ViBilagare/Motor/NAF it is a midpack performer.

2022 ViBilagare Nordic SUV Winter Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

DM-V3 is the name of the SUV version of Bridgestone's classic studless Blizzak. But in terms of results, the DM-V3 ends up in no man's land.

It achieves few top results in the individual rounds, but also does not fall completely through in any of the disciplines.

Among the strengths are good sound comfort, short braking distance on dry roads, in addition to well-balanced driving characteristics with good cornering grip on snow.

Unfortunately, for a studless tire in the Norwegian market, it has the biggest problems in the ice rounds where it ends up well behind the other premium names.

Despite its four longitudinal drainage channels, it does not impress in the aquaplaning test either. Without being able to show off top skills in some sub-exercises, there will be few points - and only sixth place overall.

PLUS:

Braking distance on dry roads, cornering grip on snow, road noise.

MINUS:

Cornering grip on wet roads, aquaplaning, rolling resistance.

Back