New bike break-in & highway riding

Thanks for the follow-up! Good to heard you've been enjoying your Tracer.

I saw one this past Friday but they wouldn't budge on the price. Instead, I found a slightly used FJ-09 (same bike basically) listed for considerably less, I'll be seeing that one this week.

That CP3 motor is a jewel, I must say, even with the stock exhaust. Compared to my previous FZ6 with the inline 600cc 4-pot, it has just a bit of snarl and more grunt. I loved it.

If I can make the deal work, I'll post a pic when she's brought home.

Thanks for the follow-up! Good to heard you've been enjoying your Tracer.

I saw one this past Friday but they wouldn't budge on the price. Instead, I found a slightly used FJ-09 (same bike basically) listed for considerably less, I'll be seeing that one this week.

That CP3 motor is a jewel, I must say, even with the stock exhaust. Compared to my previous FZ6 with the inline 600cc 4-pot, it has just a bit of snarl and more grunt. I loved it.

If I can make the deal work, I'll post a pic when she's brought home.
Thanks! Yes, the engine is awesome. I still find it overkill for the street, but definitely fun! :)

If you are 100% sure that you'll pull the trigger, call all the dealers in 200 mile radius (dealers that have the bike you want in stock) and tell them your price. For instance, dealers around Greater Toronto Area said it's impossible even if they had the bike in stock. GTA dealers could not go below $15000 (Canadian) OTD. Ottawa dealer took my offer ($14000 all-in - which was equal to $10.500 USD at that time) and I went there few days ago to pick it up. If you buy it at MSRP, it comes up to $17000 CAD including taxes and fees etc.

New Tracer 9 is even more expensive, they jacked up the price by quite a bit. MSRP is $17000CAD, and with taxes and everything you are looking almost $20k. Not to mention you won't find any leftover bike/deals for the next few years.

So I'd recommend searching around even if it's far away, especially dealers that have last year model in stock (if it's sitting in the showroom for at least a season) would be more eager to accept it.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, the engine is awesome. I still find it overkill for the street, but definitely fun! :)

If you are 100% sure that you'll pull the trigger, call all the dealers in 200 mile radius (dealers that have the bike you want in stock) and tell them your price. For instance, dealers around Greater Toronto Area said it's impossible even if they had the bike in stock. GTA dealers could not go below $15000 (Canadian) OTD. Ottawa dealer took my offer ($14000 all-in - which was equal to $10.500 USD at that time) and I went there few days ago to pick it up. If you buy it at MSRP, it comes up to $17000 CAD including taxes and fees etc.

New Tracer 9 is even more expensive, they jacked up the price by quite a bit. MSRP is $17000CAD, and with taxes and everything you are looking almost $20k. Not to mention you won't find any leftover bike/deals for the next few years.

So I'd recommend searching around even if it's far away, especially dealers that have last year model in stock (if it's sitting in the showroom for at least a season) would be more eager to accept it.
Thanks, I actually found it at a very reasonable price and did pull the trigger. OTD it was $7500 :) The Tracer 900 I saw was priced on the high side and they wouldn't budge at all.

Now, the Fj-09 isn't new obviously, but it is well-maintained with only 3800 miles by 1 previous owner. It comes with ABS, heated grips, SW Motech engine guards, carbon fiber frame covers and the saddle bags rails. The shop is doing all the necessary service to it (oil change, chain adjustment and lube, etc.) today and I'll go by and pick it up afterwards. Pics to come.

As I understand it, the price hike for the new 9 GT is mainly due to the electronic semi-active suspension which the outgoing model doesn't have. I'm surprised they didn't bring the base model Tracer 9 over to NA, at least not yet.

Thanks, I actually found it at a very reasonable price and did pull the trigger. OTD it was $7500 :) The Tracer 900 I saw was priced on the high side and they wouldn't budge at all.

Now, the Fj-09 isn't new obviously, but it is well-maintained with only 3800 miles by 1 previous owner. It comes with ABS, heated grips, SW Motech engine guards, carbon fiber frame covers and the saddle bags rails. The shop is doing all the necessary service to it (oil change, chain adjustment and lube, etc.) today and I'll go by and pick it up afterwards. Pics to come.
Congrats on the new bike, 3800 miles is nothing, much better deal than brand new

Double check the chain tension before you ride it away. Shops tend to err on the side of too tight.

Roger that, and the tire pressures.
You'll be suprised what Yamaha calls out in the OM for chain slack on the FZ/XSR biles ... it's like 15 mm which IMO (and many other owners) is too tight. I run my XSR900 at 20-25 mm.

Yes, I was just reading the manual. I prefer a little more slack myself, especially riding 2-up.

The weather has been crap here in WI the last few days, hoping today will be the day to bring the FJ home.

Requisite pics to come.

Brought FJ home finally. Such an enjoyable ride, even in 42*F weather. The heated grips are a necessity AND a luxury.

FJ1.jpg

FJ2.jpg

You'll be suprised what Yamaha calls out in the OM for chain slack on the FZ/XSR biles ... it's like 15 mm which IMO (and many other owners) is too tight. I run my XSR900 at 20-25 mm.
Kawasaki calls out a very tight chain spec for my 20 year old ZRX1200 as well @15-25mm (25mm is just under an inch) I run it around 1.25-1.5” (40 mm is just over 1.5”). The ZRX just feels better with the chain on the looser side. Chains last over 30,000 miles with regular attention every 250-350 miles so no heartburn there. As has been known for ages, a slightly slack chain lasts longer than one that is slightly tight.

Hey fellas,

I purchased a brand new 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT and will pick it up on September 16. I sold my '18 Z650 a month ago, after 2 years and 10k miles of riding I thought it was time to upgrade with a bike that is more suitable for my body type and highway riding. I was actually planning to buy at the end of the year, but I got a great deal so couldn't resist.

I have a quick question for break in period.

The dealer is approximately 250 miles away (Ottawa) and I am not sure about break-in procedure. I know I shouldn't keep the rev at certain rpm for a long period of time but I have to take it to highway at some point.

Should I take it to highway or just ride around the city for the first 50-100 miles then the highway? Am I overthinking about this?

Also, do you guys have any recommendation for the first oil change? I have Rotella T6 5w40 leftover from the previous bike, and just curious if I use this after the first oil change? I don't have to use at the very first oil change, but I'd like to know if anybody uses Rotella with his CP2/CP3 engines. Owner's manual recommends 10w40 or thicker w/ MA certification.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Follow the break in proceedure in the owners manual if there is one. If there isnt justkeep it below the redline, and let the motor warm up. Modern manufacturing processes and new materials have virtually eliminated a break in. Take it easy on the brakes too, let them bed in. After that let 'er rip taterchip.

Back