new beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 Taurus with 137k miles, got it for $375...

taurus001.jpg

Yes the plastic headlights really are that yellow...

taurus002.jpg

Someone took both front doors apart. IDK why. Power windows work great. The "christmas trees" aren't holding so the plastic was rattling and seperating from the window channel. So I drilled down to metal and popped a drywall screw in each.
banana2.gif

taurus003.jpg

The hood struts hold open for a minute then the hood comes crashing down. I call this the "widow-maker". This tube came free with a roll of "Transformers" wrapping paper I got from big lots at 90% off.

taurus005.jpg

Once we look under the hood we see a new starter, a fram filter, and a stripped solenoid wire. Previous owner says he had some starting problems but they got resolved.

taurus007.jpg

Nevertheless his mechanic wired in this now-disconnected pushbutton to get her going... probably to the previously shown stripped wire.

taurus008.jpg

Well I'm off to do a wheel bearing and muffler and she's road ready!

Hey, a Fram! Like finding a piece of metal in your cereal?

Fix for the hood struts-- large black plastic zip-tie on the metal shaft, snugged up TIGHT, and clip the tag end off. Make sure it's clean and free of oil. When you open the hood up, just slide up the zip-tie until it stops on both sides-- it'll keep the hood up. Done it on 8 different cars, saves about $75 in struts (20% of your purchase price?), works great on the wife's Saab right now hehe.

Oh, and a $3 tub of Clorox Wipes does wonders to those questionable brown and gray spots on the steering wheels, shifter, turn signal, any touchable area of the interior....*gags*

One downside to a "new" used car, you never know...but that may be the germophobe in me (caught it from my wife, probably).

Auto-Rx in the trans, Johnny's link to fresh-looking headlamps, some hood struts so no one else finds you unconscious, then you can cruise for a long time!

Congrats on the cheap find!

Man thanks for the awesome detail and laugh value...the drywall screw is outstanding (I liked the matching color too), and I haven't seen a push button start like that since the bat mobile!! It looks great for the price though...GOOD SCORE!!
thumbsup2.gif

eljefino,

You seem to have a line on beaters in your area. Nice one!!
Maybe the previous owner tore up the doors for a botched speaker install, or the electrical hacking made the windows not work properly.

Either way its a full cruise for that money!!! What engine is it?? I think the 3.8 engine had head gasket problems, so be careful.

This one is the VIN "U" 3 Liter pushrod good for 140 hp. Ford stopped the 3.8s in Taurii sometime before 96. The speakers (or at least some tweeters) are in little mesh doohickies in the triangle behind the side mirrors. I remember a friend of my dad's back in 1986 gushing over the factory sound system in his Sable; apparantly computer designed around the rest of the interior, a first for the era.

I may be the Tony Robbins of beaterville... "you can do it too"... just keep a few hundred in cash around all the time... when people put a car up on Saturday afternoon when the banks are closed cash talks. My brother-in-law lowballed a guy on a lincoln town car and he whipped out the cash. He gushed, "I thought of [eljefino] when I did it and I was suprised he took it but he did." Don't keep more than your budget around or you'll blow it.

So I changed 3/4 of the side marker lights, a license plate light, 1/2 the high mounted stop light and a front blinker. I didn't have the amber bulb so I stuck a white one in. So now it's one white, one amber. But either color is legal! PS those front blinkers are a pain under that aero bumper skirt!

On to cleaning out the trunk. Found this boat pic that went on the garage wall:

taurus009.jpg

2.5 jugs of winter windshield juice. I don't think I'll like that rain-x goop but might give it a shot, or give it away.

taurus010.jpg

I found the murder weapon!!!

taurus011.jpg

Lots of other fun stuff, a stretchy siphon hose or maybe a slingshot part, a phillips screwdriver, drill bit, some WD40. In the cupholders are a couple bucks in change and the car came with 1/4 tank of gas!

I use that rain-x stuff, it's not goop by any means, it works excellent. It beads the water off your windshield when you're going at highway speeds so you don't even need to use your wipers! Love it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Heck, the picture is worth more than you paid for the car. Wish I could find something like that for a winter beater.

+1 Johnny.

What does the plate on the picture say, SS Minow?

taurus013.jpg

Two minutes with this Bon Ami type stuff, a wet paper towel, and a water rinse and most of the clarity is back to the lens. I will concede it is not possibly the best in the world, but it was the best in my bathroom.

The state inspection mechanic actually ordered me to clear them up. (And he has no real legal standard to do so)

Wife's cousin was coming to town and could have used an automatic car for a week. Under 25 so renting would have been more expensive than just buying this taurus outright!

But missed the deadline on that slightly. Will flip for $$$.

Our state fees for titles/registrations go up 9/1, so I did just barely beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back