"New" battery from 6/21

Because the battery was 3 months old ?
Yes, why not? It cost me nothing to ask. I paid 100% of the price they charged for the battery. 100% even with discounts, sale prices, rebates, etc. They still got 100% of what they wanted for the battery. I wanted to be sure I get 100% of the warranty, hopefully I don't need to use it.

Yes, why not? It cost me nothing to ask. I paid 100% of the price they charged for the battery. 100% even with discounts, sale prices, rebates, etc. They still got 100% of what they wanted for the battery. I wanted to be sure I get 100% of the warranty, hopefully I don't need to use it.
Your receipt trumps the sticker. Warranty starts when you buy it, not when the sticker says.

Your receipt trumps the sticker. Warranty starts when you buy it, not when the sticker says.
Yes, I know that. I asked to make sure, if for some reason they told me something I didn't like they lost a sale. Many times I ask in the form of a statement, EG: The invoice date is the day the battery warranty starts. They reply with an answer. Yes.......... ;)

Self discharge can vary greatly, even Among batteries off thesame line, on same day.

Self discharge increases with temperature, and battery age/decliming health.

An older but retailed as new unused battery, if put on a charger which takes it to mid 14's for an hour or three, then floats for 24 hours, could easily test as well as a fresh battery.

It really depends on if the self discharge allowed battery below 80% state of charge, and for how long.

Watching a voltmeter and ammeter when charging, and discharging that first cycle, i find that every new battery behaves less well than expected, until it is discharged below 80%, then immediately recharged to true full.

Several high $ agms ive had refused to maintain the manufacturer specd full charge rested voltage, until it was cycled then recharged with no less than 25 initial amps.

I almost returned group 27 Northstar, as it seemed weak and cranked the engine slowly, until I cycle it deeper, then recharged with 25 amps initial current.

Tha voltage held that first deep discharge cycle was abymsal, i was so angry. As it was such a high$ agm which no doubt would not qualify for warranty replacement, Just because.it did not meet my performance expectations

After recharging it from a rested 12.2 volts, about 50% state of charge, then put on a 25 amp charger, the next day, 12 hours off the charger and restes, it still read 13.27v.

Obvious surface charge voltage,
but it was not showing this before, even after 12 hours on a charger when it was not cycled.

But it then it cranked my engine.to life faster than any battery, ever before.
The voltage held its second discharge cycle was nearly 0.25v higher than that first discharge, all factors being nearly equal.

That battery lasted 6 years which is no great feat, but it was deep cycled about 1200 times over that 6 year span, which is.

Best battery I ever had. And it performed so badly.on cycle number 1. I wanted to go throw it through door of the retailer and be the ugly entitled ignorant modern day consumer.

I contend all off the shelf batteries, whether factory fresh, or dusty, perform better after a discharge cycle below 80%, and a recharged to full with no less than 10 amps per 100ah of capacity, for flooded, and double that initial rate for agm.

Its kind of like breathimg exercises, to increase lung capacity.

Just slapping it in a vehicle and letting the vehicle treat it as it will, could very well have the battery underperform, until its potentially premature replacement.

My second Northstar agm, behaved the same way when new. Disappointing performance until.it was cycled deeply then hit immediately with 25 plus amps.

Id view a dusty 'new' battery, especially a flooded one that one could use a hydrometer to determine true full charge, as an opportunity, and acceptable, perhaps desirable, if it were discounted for its age. But no discount, and i demand as fresh as possiible.

I know i could get it performing as well as possible, with my charging sources , and vast experience deeply cycling lead acid batteries while watching voltmeters, ammeters and amp hour counters during discharge and charge cycles.

That's the most important thing that is getting overlooked here. The warranty doesn't start until the battery is purchased.

As long as you have your receipt or your purchase can be looked up you're fine, otherwise then it defaults to the sticker on the battery.

If OP has a battery that has seen a year of shelf life, then its that much more likely to need replaced under warranty.
I rolled the dice and this worked. I really wanted an agm for my wife’s car a few years back and there was exactly one in town mfr’d by JCI. It was 9 months old. It failed somewhere around 2.5 years suddenly, and they did a full replacement on it, no questions asked.

now that I’ve found batteries+ and their relabeled East Penn, I go there instead, and they are date conscious.

Like wrxsixeight made quite clear...

Self discharge is a very real problem especially for a flooded battery.

AGMs are better and TPPL AGMs are much, much, much better yet at holding power if stored at the right temperature. And if the battery was truly 100 percent when left to sit.

Off the top of my memory flooded batteries have 5-12 percent self discharge per month... Regular AGMs is somewhere around 1-5 percent per month. And TPPL AGMs are less than 1 percent per month... Like 0.1 percent even.

Do you want them to throw away batteries they don't sell? They can't control what sells well or not.

They could just send them back to the manufacturer... And be recycled.

Which was what some battery distribution stores would do regularly.

They could just send them back to the manufacturer... And be recycled.

Which was what some battery distribution stores would do regularly.
That raises costs. You even point out that this used to be done.... Take a guess why it's not done any more.

That raises costs. You even point out that this used to be done.... Take a guess why it's not done any more.

I said "would do" done to be more specific...

And again good bad or indifferent... They can and still likely can send them to recycle.

The pallets in AZ and AAP have batteries to be sent back to be recycled....

And they could get a write off too.... I have worked retail and I can guarantee that practice has.... Not changed... 18 wheelers delivering stock are used to back haul recycling and damaged aka "reclaim" items.

Back