New Apple BEV? !

I had to laugh when I saw it. But at least it has a more gentle shape than the hideous cyber truck.

It’s still speculative what Apple will present. For example, that vehicle pictured has tires. I’ve heard they won’t be needed.

Do you need to line up outside the dealer for 5 days before hand to buy one? Lol. You'll probably need to connect an iPhone to it before you can charge it.

Do you need to line up outside the dealer for 5 days before hand to buy one? Lol. You'll probably need to connect an iPhone to it before you can charge it.

Smart people order Apple stuff through their online store. I ordered my iPhone in the morning and got it about 6 hours later.

Reminds me in the spirit of the old vw bus, with DRLs from an f250. I could see honda building the chassis.

it probably downloads the pics off my iPhone better than the windows pc.

That’s the 2016 model. This is the 2021.
1608604832982.jpeg

What’s interesting to me with concepts like this is the logistics and support.

We apparently cant have MT cars because it costs too much to epa certify them for the number they sell.

Yet these wacky evs are somehow going to go through EPA, crash, IIHS, DOT testing, have a full set of drawings, service library documents, parts lists and infrastructure down to the last screw, and parts availability for the long run, and be a one off from a computer company?

I mean, Tesla pulled it off, sort of, and still has service and parts challenges.

I get it that these tech companies have huge money to drop wherever, but the undertaking is a pretty big thing to implement on a broad scale. If more and more companies want to get into these things, I’d assume it would be more of a niche, like supplying taxis and ubers and local use vehicles. I just can’t see how they can all build the infrastructure to support, even if leveraging other infrastructure (eg Amazon car). I think that is the Amazon model... I’ll be curious what the anticipated Apple model will be...

One plan that I read was that Apple would start with employee service from their residence to Apple Park or their other buildings. Apple Park has 14,000 employees. Imagine a totally autonomous vehicle that would pick you up and take you to work and back home? They have been working with local communities on this idea. Once perfected it could be opened up to the public.

The high roof box design is right in line with what I have seen with Toyota. Easy to build, good passenger capacity, etc

Apple has continued to introduce new products; to reinvent itself. And change the world.
Computers (for home, business servers) both desktop and notebook, iPods, iPhone, iPad, Watch, Apple TV.
Back in 2017, I started looking for a Lexus RX450h. Apple had bought up all of 'em in the South Bay to work on their new car.
By the time more came in from the factory, we eneded up with a 2018 moel year.

While expensive, their products are of the highest quality and are in many ways best of breed.

This was in early 2018. The automation in the Fremont mfg lines kept breaking down halting the lines. They couldn't keep the robots running...
Musk was nearly broke, as he had put so much of his PayPal fortune into Tesla.
In an act of deperation, Fremont erected 2 gigantic tents in the parking lot, built mdg lines inside and started assembling the cars far more by hand.
The rest is history. We bought ours in Dec 2018 fresh outta the tent.

This was actually documented in a 60 Minutes episode, with Elon Musk and Leslie Stahl.
Musk explained his demand for extreme automation in the assembly lines, a mistake that nearly bankrupted Tesla. And him.
He took 100% of the blame for his mistake.
Of course things are different now. Musk often talks about his lessons learned.

Interestingly, some advisors have suggested Tesla buy Ford to aquire their world wide manufacturing and distribution capacity.
I believe the Ford family owns too much of the company to make this happen.

Last edited:
This was in early 2018. The automation in the Fremont mfg lines kept breaking down halting the lines. They couldn't keep the robots running...
Musk was nearly broke, as he had put so much of his PayPal fortune into Tesla.
In an act of deperation, Fremont erected 2 gigantic tents in the parking lot, built mdg lines inside and started assembling the cars far more by hand.
The rest is history. We bought ours in Dec 2018 fresh outta the tent.

This was actually documented in a 60 Minutes episode, with Elon Musk and Leslie Stahl.
Musk explained his demand for extreme automation in the assembly lines, a mistake that nearly bankrupted Tesla. And him.
He took 100% of the blame for his mistake.
Of course things are different now. Musk often talks about his lessons learned.

Interestingly, some advisors have suggested Tesla buy Ford to aquire their world wide manufacturing and distribution capacity.
I believe the Ford family owns too much of the company to make this happen.

Buying Ford along with their legacy costs would be the biggest blunder in market history.

Back