New specs for the Amsoil 10w-30:

vis @ 100C, 11.7 cst
vis @ 40C, 66 Cst
VI, 176
CCS @ -25C, 3097 Cp
Noack, 5.5%
TBN > 12.2
HT/HS > 3.5 Cp

TS posted this in another thread. Where are these number obtained? The website seems to lag behind a bit. Also, what chemistry changes, if any, have taken place? There was a recent VOA of Amsoil 10w-30 that showed lower P amounts. I'm wondering if they are adding anything new to this oil. Nice specs on this oil. I just ran it and it did well. Not a long drain oil in my car though. Toyos are just to hard on oil it seems.
dunno.gif

[ August 10, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think the NOAK is down a bit from 6% and I think the TBN is higher. It used to be 11. TS could clarify a bit. The VOA though showed lower Phosphorus amounts.....API?

I just dug out the printout I had on the 10w30, you're right, the specs look different. Definitely better specs, ever so slightly. Old viscosity was 11.9 at 100c, 69.8 at 40c too.

Yeah the VI is higher too. Amsoil's web page has it at 167. Look how low the NOAK is now at 5.5% Very good numbers. I'd rather see changes in chemistry like more calcium and boron though, but who am I?
grin.gif

Buster,

New 10w-30 specs are from the dealer only portion of their website. There is also a new spec sheet for the 0w-30, but it's very close to the old one.

Of interest here is that the CCS viscosity @ -25C has been lowered from 3440 Cp and the volatility has also been reduced. In other words, both the low and high temp properties have been slightly improved.

The 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 are now all "ACEA A3/B3/B4" rated ....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Buster,
Of interest here is that the CCS viscosity @ -25C has been lowered from 3440 Cp and the volatility has also been reduced.

The old CCS was at -20C not -25C, so it looks like it brought the 10w30 down to almost the same performance as the 5w30 at -25C which was about 2500Cp.

This is now better than the S3000 5w30 which is 6600Cps at -25C.

I have been using the 10w30 for many years now and see less reason to change.

I just received a case of 10w30 last week but I don't think it is the new formula as the case and bottles didn't have the new PAO logo.

Wulimaster,

The Series 3000, 5w-30 is 6600 Cp @ -30C ...the old formulation was 3150 Cp @ -25C. The spec sheet is misprinted. They use a heavier basestock in the S3000 so it's more shear stable in commercial diesel engines.
Delvac 1 uses the same general approach ....

The main trend I have seen with Amsoil over the past 3-4 years is that the Noack #;s have continued to drop with each new formulation.

TS

quote:

Wulimaster,

The Series 3000, 5w-30 is 6600 Cp @ -30C ...the old formulation was 3150 Cp @ -25C. The spec sheet is misprinted. The main trend I have seen with Amsoil over the past 3-4 years is that the Noack #;s have continued to drop with each new formulation.

TS

I think they should correct their misprints online. How is a guy to know?

I am all for better new formulations. Now I just have to drive another 18k miles before I can try the newer formulation. I don't want to waste what I have in there now by draining it out to early. Looks like it is time for a road trip to Tierra del Fuego.
tongue.gif

quote:

Of interest here is that the CCS viscosity @ -25C has been lowered from 3440 Cp and the volatility has also been reduced. In other words, both the low and high temp properties have been slightly improved.

This can only be accomplished by changing the basestock formulation, right? More esters maybe?
Are these oils PAO & ester based or do they also contain something else?

I have been told that the boron level has been increased ( all my previous UOA results on the 10W30 (probably 15-25 UOA on this oil) indicated less then 10 ppm of boron) but recent sample had close to 30. I was told it was increased but how much remains a mystery because, as I posted on this site, when I inquired of Amsoil as to new level they told me to get a VOA done and find out. Years ago they increase potassium but after several months and complaints that people were getting concerned about coolant they went back to old formula.

If someone can find out please post it.

>>>I just received a case of 10w30 last week but I don't think it is the new formula as the case and bottles didn't have the new PAO logo.

The new boxes have the PAO logo. The bottles, at least those I've seen, have the same label without the PAO logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back