New 2022 VW Jetta, pics released.

Im sure that Yaris with the 1.5L intimidates many drivers on the highway when your ready to pass or riding someones arse!!!
these two cars are apples and oranges. the vw jetta 1.4tsi is fast off the mark, so it gave me the impression that it has more on tap at highway passing speeds. in my test drive it disappointingly flattened out, so i am simply wondering if the added horsepower of the 1.5tsi makes up the defecit.

the toyota yaris 1.5 is surprisingly peppy around town, perhaps because it is lightweight. i keep it “in its lane,” highways included, and it is nice for what it is, a suburban go-getter. if the yaris had a 5 or 6sp auto trans would certainly be a better highway driver.

i am not looking to intimidate anyone when i drive and i don’t ride anyone’s arse.

The Jetta's 14 cu ft of trunk space is more usable compared to what equivalent SUV?

Is that 14 cu ft with the trunk lid up or closed (where the arms of the hinge will crush whatever is in its path?

203378b9cccd39940b84d3fb426a4dd8.jpeg

Taos?

AANTXwE.img

Granted the Jetta is 185 inches long compared to the Taos being 175 inches long.

Fair comparison? Maybe not.

Maybe if you compare it to the Tiguan, which basically the same length as the Jetta at 185.1 inches long...

which I'm confident the Tiguan has more useable cargo space than the Jetta, unless you're going to argue that the Tiguan has less space with the 3rd row up

From that image the Taos appears to have more storage than others in the segment. I have experienced a few small SUV's and even a minivan that had less trunk space than our sedans, without question. I couldn't even fit our stroller in the trunk of a recent Mitsubishi Outlander rental. Typically trunks in sedans are deeper (distant from trunk opening to back seat) than their SUV counterparts. Sure, sedans don't offer the vertical storage SUV's do, but for us and many others that space is not needed.

these two cars are apples and oranges. the vw jetta 1.4tsi is fast off the mark, so it gave me the impression that it has more on tap at highway passing speeds. in my test drive it disappointingly flattened out, so i am simply wondering if the added horsepower of the 1.5tsi makes up the defecit.

the toyota yaris 1.5 is surprisingly peppy around town, perhaps because it is lightweight. i keep it “in its lane,” highways included, and it is nice for what it is, a suburban go-getter. if the yaris had a 5 or 6sp auto trans would certainly be a better highway driver.

i am not looking to intimidate anyone when i drive and i don’t ride anyone’s arse.
I'm pressure sure the new 1.5 TSI adds around 10 HP. Not a significant number.

My old 2 door hatch Yaris with a stick was peppy indeed - even on the highway it wasn't disappointing.
More power than the Rabbit GTI when it came out. the Rabbit had better bottom end grunt, though.
I got mine on sale for $9995 before gas prices went WAY up.

From that image the Taos appears to have more storage than others in the segment. I have experienced a few small SUV's and even a minivan that had less trunk space than our sedans, without question. I couldn't even fit our stroller in the trunk of a recent Mitsubishi Outlander rental. Typically trunks in sedans are deeper (distant from trunk opening to back seat) than their SUV counterparts. Sure, sedans don't offer the vertical storage SUV's do, but for us and many others that space is not needed.

I think it's not fair to compare trunk space of Jetta vs Taos.

Taos is here to replace the regular Golf, not the Jetta, and I think it's the right move. It has tons of space compared to base Golf.

Taos is here to replace the regular Golf, not the Jetta, and I think it's the right move. It has tons of space compared to base Golf.
I think this is VW's plan as well. They'll sell tons more TAOS than they did Golfs

Then you compare it to the Tiguan, which is the same length as the Jetta, which the Tiguan will trounce the Jetta in useable capacity and the ease of using its useable capacity.

Then you compare it to the Tiguan, which is the same length as the Jetta, which the Tiguan will trounce the Jetta in useable capacity and the ease of using its useable capacity.
I've never said sedans are more practical than SUVs. In fact, I meant Taos is better than a Jetta in terms of practicality, that's why I said it's not fair, let alone Tiguan. Sedans can still be more useful than hatchbacks when it comes to overall rear legroom/headroom and trunk depth but that's pretty much all.

Personally, I would only buy a sedan as a second car if I already have an SUV/Minivan.

I've never said sedans are more practical than SUVs. In fact, I meant Taos is better than a Jetta in terms of practicality, that's why I said it's not fair, let alone Tiguan. Sedans can still be more useful than hatchbacks when it comes to overall rear legroom/headroom and trunk depth but that's pretty much all. I think that's the reason why VW replaced Golf with Taos.

Personally, I would only buy a sedan as a second car if I already have an SUV/Minivan.
As long as the sedans don't try to pretend it's a coupe, then the headroom will be fine.

But people have noted already, with the new Corolla Cross, the rear seat is more comfortable due to the squarer profile, as the roofline doesn't have to blend into the rear window, like the Corolla sedan.

I’ve been waiting for VW to officially release pics and info on the mid cycle refreshed Jetta. The rumors are true, it does get the new 1.5 TSI (ea211 evo). Also standard now is the digital dash.

My thoughts on the new design…I’m not a fan of the new front and rear bumpers. They are too curvaceous and don’t follow the design of the rest of the car IMO. I don’t care for the wheels on the SEL model also (only model pictured so far, besides GLI).

The new engine gains around 10 HP but has same torque. I’m sure it gets better MPG as well. The use of a variable vane turbo, plasma coated cylinder liners and high bar fuel pressure aid there. Not sure how reliable this will be long term.

It now has digital dash standard. VW Audi do this well, but this will be very expensive to replace after warranty. If it breaks it will be necessary to replace as it shows speed and fuel level among other important info. Nice to have as an option, but I’m glad we have a 2021 with analog gauges.

Overall I think the package will appeal to the masses, it’s just less premium looking as far as exterior design goes. Just my opinion.

Side note, my brother and his wife are in need of a second car and are looking to purchase a new 2021 S model as soon as more arrive at the dealer. We will now be a 3 Jetta family. My MIL started the VW trend in our family. Not even 7 years ago our family had never owned a VW. Since then our family has owned 8 VW’s, with a 9th on the way. We love them. Are you listening VW? 😂

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/2022-volkswagen-jetta/
Looks like a Newer Honda model

Good looking ride would look best in my garage. I would say that can easily replace my corolla however I'm in the market for a used small pickup, van or wagon.

I don't know much about this technology but I do know Ford uses it and has had issues. I won't be signing up anytime soon.
Bit late, but the 1.5T is not actually a new engine, it was introduced in 2016 in Europe along with the 1.0T 3 cylinder as the EA211 Evo. It's been just as reliable if not more so than the 1.4T EA211. To my knowledge there hasn't been any reports of issues with the APS coated cylinder liners on any of these engines.

I can also confirm that the Taos feels plenty powerful most of the time with the 8 speed. The DSG programming on the AWD model I test drove was much worse. Which is weird, because I was in Germany a couple months ago and had a T-Cross rental with the 1.0T and same DSG, and the programming on that one was impeccable and completely indistinguishable from a normal automatic. As an aside, the 1.0T in the T-Cross felt more than powerful enough around town, and was tolerable on the Autobahn, and gave it a top speed of around 185km/h. Also the 1.0 has a better sound than the 1.5.

Bit late, but the 1.5T is not actually a new engine, it was introduced in 2016 in Europe along with the 1.0T 3 cylinder as the EA211 Evo. It's been just as reliable if not more so than the 1.4T EA211. To my knowledge there hasn't been any reports of issues with the APS coated cylinder liners on any of these engines.

I can also confirm that the Taos feels plenty powerful most of the time with the 8 speed. The DSG programming on the AWD model I test drove was much worse. Which is weird, because I was in Germany a couple months ago and had a T-Cross rental with the 1.0T and same DSG, and the programming on that one was impeccable and completely indistinguishable from a normal automatic. As an aside, the 1.0T in the T-Cross felt more than powerful enough around town, and was tolerable on the Autobahn, and gave it a top speed of around 185km/h. Also the 1.0 has a better sound than the 1.5.
I'm aware the 1.5 has been in Europe for a few years. We don't know what internally has changed for the U.S. market though. Only time will tell. VW generally does well with their turbo engines, but variable vane turbos and coated cylinder liners just doesn't sound like a recipe for success long term. It may end up being a great engine for VW and consumers. I'm not hating, just skeptical.

Honestly, seeing a close up of the grill looks like some of the "largeness" of the facia is due to black around it. I think id have to at the very least paint that black strip at the top of the grill (which is chrome on 2019 - 2021) body color.

Not a fan of the red brake ducts either those might actually be a legitimate use for plastidip ;)

I'm aware the 1.5 has been in Europe for a few years. We don't know what internally has changed for the U.S. market though. Only time will tell. VW generally does well with their turbo engines, but variable vane turbos and coated cylinder liners just doesn't sound like a recipe for success long term. It may end up being a great engine for VW and consumers. I'm not hating, just skeptical.

Possibly, pretty sure its mostly the same engine with a bit more boost (about 10 additional HP compared to the EU variant). It's not like variable vane turbos are new technology, they just historically haven't been used in gasoline engines because of high EGTs. VW is among manufacturers which use a water cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the head which means much lower EGTs, and new materials mean that variable geometry turbos in gas engines can exist. Do you have a particular reason for being suspicious of the APS coated cylinder walls? That's not new technology either really. If there was catastrophic failures of those, we'd have heard about it from Europe by now- especially from Germany given how hard these engines can be run on the autobahn.

Last edited:
Possibly, pretty sure its mostly the same engine with a bit more boost (about 10 additional HP compared to the EU variant). It's not like variable vane turbos are new technology, they just historically haven't been used in gasoline engines because of high EGTs. VW is among manufacturers which use a water cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the head which means much lower EGTs, and new materials mean that variable geometry turbos in gas engines can exist. Do you have a particular reason for being suspicious of the APS coated cylinder walls? That's not new technology either really. If there was catastrophic failures of those, we'd have heard about it from Europe by now- especially from Germany given how hard these engines can be run on the autobahn.

I know I sound like an old man shaking my fist at the sky, but variable vane turbos just have more parts to fail. Maybe coated cylinder walls are tougher than I think. I just recall reading of problems with Ford when they implemented them in the 5.0.

Admittedly I have no PERSONAL experience with either technology, so I guess I'll just have to sit back and see how they hold up long term. Time will tell.

Back