New 2022 VW Jetta, pics released.

I was kind of worried to purchase 2021 GLI before seeing 2022.

After seeing the updates, I'm glad that I picked the 2021.

IMO, 2022 front bumper looks uglier, though I like the rear bumper and exhaust tip design more than 2021.

I'd prefer 2021 steering wheel, not a fan of touch sensitive buttons.

I'm glad it didn't get any power bump, I though it would get the mk8 GTI engine. That will most likely happen with the new gen in 2023/2024.

Overall, it's a very mild update especially for the GLI.

I was kind of worried to purchase 2021 GLI before seeing 2022.

After seeing the updates, I'm glad that I picked the 2021.

IMO, 2022 front bumper looks uglier, though I like the rear bumper and exhaust tip design more than 2021.

I'd prefer 2021 steering wheel, not a fan of touch sensitive buttons.

I'm glad it didn't get any power bump, I though it would get the mk8 GTI engine. That will most likely happen with the new gen in 2023/2024.

Overall, it's a very mild update especially for the GLI.
I agree, both models look less "edgy" and sharp. 2021 for the win.

it’s time for the sedan to go

the jetta will not make it to another generation

Sales numbers are not bad for Jetta, at least in Canada.

VW designed latest gen Jetta for North American market only, as a result it is almost as big as Passat. Passat has never been competitive in NA because they've always sold vanilla version here. EU version is much better (drove them both), it is almost as good as A4.

VW decided to keep the regular Golf for EU market, and Jetta for NA. Different products for different markets.

If VW stops pushing vanilla models in North America which they've been doing this for years, they would be more successful.

Last edited:
Jetta is only outsold by the Tiguan in the US I think, Atlas is third Passat waaaayyyy behind which is why its leaving soon. Surprisingly they refreshed the Arteon for 2022 so I'm not sure it's going away after all, odd since it sells less than 4k units a year.

We love the 1.4 TSI. We owned the 1.8 TSI for 6 years and it was a suite engine, but we don't find the 1.4 lacking. It has plenty of torque down low and plenty of passing power on the highway as well, at least when paired with the 8 speed auto. Love the drivetrain!
I will agree the 1.4 is a going engine, and when I boosted the sump of 0W20 with some 0W40 the engine would rev out to 6K with power where it would fall flat with too thin an oil. A 40 grade is not a solution either - it just needs a bit more goo than a thin 20 which the VAG508/509 is. Too thin at least in the MOTUL flavour.
I had a 6 speed manual. First and second gear was neck snapping exciting. The torque of a healthy 2.8 litre V6 from 1700-4500 rpm. That's plenty. The Car is pig heavy though - but aren't they all.
Horrendous wheel hop problems in the rain and snow though. Enough to hurt itself. Then the rear window is a bunker slit. Not good.
The car does have some serious flaws. You just decide which ones bother you and pick your poison.

Sales numbers are not bad for Jetta, at least in Canada.

VW designed latest gen Jetta for North American market only, as a result it is almost as big as Passat. Passat has never been competitive in NA because they've always sold vanilla version here. EU version is much better (drove them both), it is almost as good as A4.

VW decided to keep the regular Golf for EU market, and Jetta for NA. Different products for different markets.

If VW stops pushing vanilla models in North America which they've been doing this for years, they would be more successful.
The Passat was never competitive against the CamCords because it was too small and too expensive.

So, in 2012 VW gave us the Passat designed against the CamCords, but VW is slow to keep it competitive with the CamCords. The 2020 "Redesign" was just sheetmetal and interior changes. It stayed on the PQ46 chassis, unlike the Jetta going to the MQB chassis, so it didn't have things like the Digital Cockpit and a true MIB-II infotainment system.

“ plasma coated cylinder liners ” ? Hmmmmmm
Yeah i dunno why they would need that unless they are moving away from the cute little iron blocks they’ve been using in most of their mills. I love the on paper design of the 1.8, being iron and a destroked 2.0. Hopefully it holds up as well as it appears to be engineered.

As far as versatility goes, most sedans offer more trunk space than the equivalent SUV. More usable space anyway.
In what world is this true?

I'd like to see you get an RG-380 with box into and out of your trunk. Or a toolbox. Or anything, really.

Even getting groceries out if the front of a trunk is annoying.

Greg24 How is this specific new Jetta working out? I was just curious about initial build quality say vs. a FORD or Chevy or Dodge that typically have 6-10 annoying niggles to get fixed in the first few months, requiring a few trips to the selling dealer.

I remember my lease 2018 had a couple recalls, but nothing I noticed. just the DS power window seemed to get weak and slow after a couple years. then that design/engineering issue of wheel hop on slick surfaces with the manual transmission - Ken

btw, I made a few trips to the lumber yard whilst doing a home project. With the pass through, I was able to fit a good stack of 8 ft.
length pine board of various widths INSIDE the car; somthing you cant do in many a cuv due to the curtailed length. I was just frustrated I couldn't fold the front seats near flat or remove the headrests.
I'm sure now that I think about it, this is intentional - a "safety" Nanny. But, I would surely appreciate more versatility in a sedan something that VW used to offer . Innovation. I Don't want to go to Honda FIT** for this - blecch !

**I forgot, the FIT is gone - to make room to produce the more profitable "fake" CUV the HR-V

Last edited:
We always had a soft spot for the Golf and I wish VW hadn't discontinued it, however rear seat leg room was nonexistent, it had little trunk space and it got worse MPG than the Jetta. As far as versatility goes, most sedans offer more trunk space than the equivalent SUV. More usable space anyway. That coupled with better MPG, lower up front price, and better driving dynamics make them a win. Americans just don't get it.
The Jetta's 14 cu ft of trunk space is more usable compared to what equivalent SUV?

Is that 14 cu ft with the trunk lid up or closed (where the arms of the hinge will crush whatever is in its path?

203378b9cccd39940b84d3fb426a4dd8.jpeg

Taos?

AANTXwE.img

Granted the Jetta is 185 inches long compared to the Taos being 175 inches long.

Fair comparison? Maybe not.

Maybe if you compare it to the Tiguan, which basically the same length as the Jetta at 185.1 inches long...

which I'm confident the Tiguan has more useable cargo space than the Jetta, unless you're going to argue that the Tiguan has less space with the 3rd row up

Back