New 2012 Infiniti EX35 - engine break-in and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Anyone ever have the dealer do the scheduled oil change simply for documentation, then go out and change that oil/filter out for some quality stuff?

I did just that for 3 years... My 2000 Audi S4 got free oil changes at the dealer but they used Bulk Dino oil back then.

So..I let them change the oil. Went home and drained the oil into a clean pan. Put 0W-40 Mobil 1 or GC 0W-30 Syntec in the car and then used the "free" dealer oil in my Pickup. Got free oil and a "flush" on the Audi each time.

I could have given them my oil... but would they remember or even bother with it. How would I ever know?

VQ engines do well with Castrol. My Xterra runs extermely well with Edge now. I used PP once and car felt a lot heavier and lost the pep. New M1 0W-30 and 5W might be a good choice. I just bought a couple SM to try in my cars.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I did just that for 3 years... My 2000 Audi S4 got free oil changes at the dealer but they used Bulk Dino oil back then.

That's funny. A buddy of mine is a mechanic at a VW dealer. I asked him if he's ever heard of GC or M1 0W-40 "euro spec" oils. He said he hadn't, and didn't know what I was talking about. I asked what they used at the VW dealer. He said Castrol Syntec 5W-30 if the cars are spec'ed for synthetic...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Pennzoil Plat and Ultra generally return fantastic UOAs, especially in those Nissan engines. Synpower is a great anti-wear oil, but it doesn't have the TBN for longer OCIs. Seems to run out of puff around 6,500-7,000 miles from what I've seen.

Alright, you've convinced me to take a serious look at PU or maybe that Synpower. If I go with PU it will be 5W-30 as spec'ed by Infiniti. Synpower comes in a 0W-20, but that's probably too thin for this engine, even if it is brand new. I'll look into the specs of PU and the Synpower and try to decide between them. Which was a higher VI?

What are you doing in regard to changing out the 4 wheel drive fluids? You seem to be very conscientious about getting break-in wear metals out of the engine and I totally agree with you as to the need to do that. I have been unable to find any consensus about when would be best to first change the differentials, transfer case and transmission fluid. However, I cannot accept the factory recommendation to wait until 60,000 to do it. That just seems crazy. We just got a 2011 Infiniti EX Journey with 10,000 miles on it and now have almost 13,000. Haven't yet changed any of the 4 wheel drive fluids although I'm almost ready to put Amsoil in the 2 differentials. Would like to go synthetic on the trans fluid and transfer case but am reluctant to go with non-factory fluid so early in the warranty period. Any thoughts? I am presently running Eneos 5W-30 oil with the OEM filter but plan to change to Amsoil and the Amsoil filter at the 15k maintenance.

Amsoil has produced a pamphlet analyzing and rating various synthetic 5W-30's and Pennzoil Ultra came in second place to Amsoil in the ratings. Based on that, it seems like Pennzoil Ultra would be a great choice if you don't want to use a boutique oil. However, if you're concerned about the cold start aspect (that the 3.5 engine does start at a very fast idle), I think the Mobil 1 OW-30 might be your best choice in the winter. For the summer, the PU I think would be better. Am considering going with a 0W-30 myself this winter here in Kansas.

Originally Posted By: Garak
With my Infiniti, I've been sticking to PYB 5w-30 SN/GF-5. If one goes by the Schedule 1 service while under warranty, that's 3750 mile OCIs. That could get a little expensive with synthetic. For filters, I went with Bosch Premium, since they are almost 50% cheaper than anything else comparable out there.

+1^

Our infiniti loves GTX Synblend 5w30

I could very well have chosen GTX 5w-30 as my fill for the first while; it just wasn't the best special I found then.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back