New 2011 Ford F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new 2011 Ford F-150 regular cab 4 wheel drive company truck, it had 8 miles on it when I picked it up and I wanted to make some comments. Ive had the truck for about 3 weeks and it has about 1500 miles on it now. It has the 3.7 engine in it and although I think that would make a great car engine, it is a bit sluggish in a truck, especially if you are off road, moving in sand or in 4 wheel. I understand the truck isnt broke in yet. On the highways, it runs like a scalded dog, it just doesnt have any low end torque, I miss the 4.6. Truck rides great. Handles great , the interior is layed out nice. I love the size and deepness of the bed. Ford has really lightened the frame and everything looks small underneath compared to my Dodge. Another interesting note, there is no voltmeter on the dash, but a transmission temp guage instead. I was reading the owners manual and it calls for 5000 mile oil changes in severe and 10,000 mile oil changes in normal operation, 5w20 of course, unless you have a 3.5 ecoboost then its 5w30 (reiforces my opinion, heavier oil is more robust then lightweight oil) if you have a 6.2L your oil changes are 7500 severe and still 10,000 normal. Spark plugs need to be changed every 50,000, this sorta surprised me. Ive noticed alot of manufactures are calling for less than the 100,000 mark now. I probably would not buy this truck for my own personal self, I think I am spoiled by Hemi power and although I am sure this truck is heavy duty enough for what any person will use it for, its awful light weight. I do love the deep bed though. I hate the turn signals, they dont click anymore, anybody with a new Ford, knows what I mean. Sticker on it was $28,000 with the added 36 gallon gas tank upgrade. Just my input.

100K plug changes have become very unrealistic as its very dependent on driving conditions. I can't believe ford would put that engine in a 4wd truck. One would expect it to be underpowered. Now the ecoboost, it will more then satisfy ones power needs. 28k?? my FIL recently got his CC Ecoboost 2wd for 29,500. our 5.4L I got for 28,500.

Im thinking of trading in our 07 for a CC 4WD ecoboost in the next couple of weeks. All I got to do is get the wife onboard......She LOVES her truck now so it might be a hard sell.

Cool.
thumbsup2.gif

If Ford is at all successful with the 3.7, we may finally see an end to the venerable Chevrolet 4.3. (which I think is only availiable in the W/T)

It wouldn't suprise me to see a Silverado/Sierra with a D/I 3.6. Don't know how well it will go over in a truck.

The Ram has planned to put the Pentastar in for awhile now. They had at one point planned on a larger 4.0 variant but everything I read now points to a 3.6

Its funny how all the manufactures keep switching displacement and all seem to settle on one size(for awhile) then switch for no apparent reason. Example is the 4.6, I thought this was a effeciate engine with good power and economy milelage, seemed to be bullet proof. Cadillac had the 4.6 too, and Dodge had the 4.7(which wasnt all that swift) 3.5 was popular, then they all went to 4.2 and 4.3 and now they are back to 3.7 and 3.5. I have to think its more of a gimmick to sell new cars. I will say alot of the trucks in our fleet have well over 150,000 on the 4.6s though and have no mechanical problems engine wise, no oil burning, run like new, seems like a reliable engine they would have stuck with.

Innovation Sells. The entire modular line has remarkable longevity.

There was a time when the term " no replacement for displacement " meant something. Now with the use of turbos and advanced head designs more power can be made in a smaller package

The 4.6 wasn't killed in the trucks for unreliability, that's for sure. It was nothing flashy but it was reliable. In the end, changes in emissions and fuel mileage expectations are what did it in that lineup. Get used to it - more changes to smaller dispalcement are coming, that's for sure...

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
The $28k was sticker price, not selling price.
Iam sure it was not. We just got bought out by a national company(we were only statewide) The new company purchased 367 trucks in one clip, so Iam very curious to how much a company pays per truck at that rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back