F-450 pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving on the I-5 today, I was passed by a Ford pickup. The sound of the turbo was fairly loud in the exhaust. I looked over, and saw an F-450 medallion on the fender. I've seen F-450 and -550 utility trucks, but I've never seen an F-450 with a normal pickup bed. What would someone need such a heavy-duty pickup for?

I didn't see any indication of a fifth-wheel setup. There was a cross-bed toolbox, and not much else. No company name visible.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Driving on the I-5 today, I was passed by a Ford pickup. The sound of the turbo was fairly loud in the exhaust. I looked over, and saw an F-450 medallion on the fender. I've seen F-450 and -550 utility trucks, but I've never seen an F-450 with a normal pickup bed. What would someone need such a heavy-duty pickup for?

I didn't see any indication of a fifth-wheel setup. There was a cross-bed toolbox, and not much else. No company name visible.

Actually quite common. I have a friend with one. He pulls a 5th wheel with it. Used to have an F350 but was over the GCWR towing. There are only four small flush buttons left in the bed when the 5th wheel hitch is removed.

Ford did sell a factory F-450 pickup for a period of time in the mid 2000s. Some aftermarket upfitters/conversion companies were selling them before Ford offered it from the factory.

OK. If they're common, I'd expect to see plenty of them out here in the land of excess. Oh well, live and learn.

The f-350's are more common. It's actually hard to tell the difference. Really the only difference between the two are the rim size and rear differential. The rear diff is huge on the 450.

I never see them here, they are all over Texas.

I think some years they sold a package on the 350 that had the suspension and wheels of a 450 too...

There's 450 in the parking lot where I work. The owner said it's a 2010. He bought it at an auction. He said the 250's and 350's went right away and the 450 was left over. He said he got it as the only bidder for less that the 250's and 350's. He said a 350 would have been more enough for his horse trailer but he just could not pass up the deal. It has leather and everything inside you could ever imagine. When he tows his horses he just sets the cruise control, turns on the music and enjoys the trip. His father calls it a sissy truck because it's a truck on the outside and a fancy bedroom on the inside.

Many heavy horse, travel trailers and toy haulers will be overweight on a standard 1-ton truck which is why Ford made the F-450. The most recent ones are not much different than the F-350s. How did you see he didn't have a hitch, were you up in a semi looking down in the bed?

I once saw an F-450 at the post office. It was a 4x4 lifted 10-feet up in the air. The driver's door opens up and out steps this little midget dude about 3-feet tall.

You will find a bunch of them with the horse, farm and camper crowd. regular bed version might be a bit more user friendly than a duelie set up. I see a few around here, hauling stock trailers... regular cab and bed... Farmer heading to an auction... with 6 amish guys jammed in the cab!!
If you patrol dealer lots sticker shopping, you will find a few sitting in the back. At times these will go cheap after they sit around for awhile. 2008?? Ford had a F450 Harley edition... Duelie... saw one once... WOW!

I was nearly clocked by one in my parking lot earlier this morning, by someone who couldn't be bothered with a red light.

Didn't really get a chance to see if it was a dual or single axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back