"new" 2008 Vette, with 4 year old Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not copy the report so I will type the info.
4 year old oil but vette is still in the break in period, so high wear and silicon is expected. Your numbers at higher then expected on a 680 mile sample but expected with 4 year old oil that has been sitting in the engine for 4 years. The TBN was still good at 8.1 (1.0 is low). But still a good idea to change the oil.
Aluminum - 13 - avg. 5
Chromium - 1 - avg. 1
Iron - 117- avg. 29
lead - 14 - avg. 14
copper -604 - avg. 47
tin - 0 - avg. 2

more-
Molyboenum- 89 - avg. 87
Nickel - 3 - avg. 1
Manganese - 30 - avg. 2
titanium - 1 - avg. 3
potassium - 13 - avg. 5
Boron - 67 - avg. 59
Silcon - 156- avg. 12
sodium - 17 - avg. 35
calcium - 2377-avg. 2210
Magnesium - 23 - avg. 122
phosphorus- 703- avg. 689
zinc - 802- avg. 834
barium - 2 - avg. 0
SUS viscosity @ 210F - 59.9 - avg. 55-62
cST V

cST Viscosity @ 100 C - 10.20 - avg. 8.8-11.1
Flashpoint in F - 440 - avg. >365
Fuel % Antifreez % - 0.0 - avg. 0.0
water % - 0.0 - avg. 0.0
insolubles % - 0.2 - avg. TBN - 8.1

Vette had 370 miles on it when I picked it up, demo and jocked around the lot for 4 years. I drove it for a few days and then had the dealer change the oil at 680 miles. What do you guys think??? I will only be driving about 6-8K miles a year so I thought I would have the oil changed once a year? or should I change it again in a few thousand miles? Thanks for your advise in advance.

Sorry for not being good at this the Oil was Mobil 1 5w30 in the engine from the factory and also at time of change. Man it would be nice if I could of just posted the report or if Blackstone would work with Bobistheoilguy on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you can certainly see the higher wear on engines during these first few thousand miles.

I'm glad you got the oil changed out! Enjoy that Corvette!

In a Corvette I would change it evey 6 months reguardless of mileage. With a car like that the cost of an oil change is nothing and cheap insurance. Awesome car and enjoy it!!!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
In a Corvette I would change it evey 6 months reguardless of mileage. With a car like that the cost of an oil change is nothing and cheap insurance. Awesome car and enjoy it!!!

I agree I will do about 4K miles in 6 months and I will do another oil/filter change with Mobil 1 5w30. Cheap insurance, plus this baby deserves fresh oil after having the FF in her for 4+ years
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pitbull
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

I agree I will do about 4K miles in 6 months and I will do another oil/filter change with Mobil 1 5w30. Cheap insurance, plus this baby deserves fresh oil after having the FF in her for 4+ years
smile.gif

+1

Treat her nice & take it out for some long drives to burn out some of that carbon from being a lot jockey! Poor thing.
frown.gif

He's on Maui. How is he going to go on long drives?
lol.gif

Your idea to make the next change in a couple of thousand miles has merit. No telling what has been deposited in the crankcase with all the short trips (some at wide open throttle, if you have lot boys like the ones I'm familiar with). I also agree with the every six month cycle suggested above. Even though the weather never gets cold, the short driving cycles and the moisture content in the air would indicate more frequent changes than normal.

Nothing wrong with M1, but LSX users have also had great luck with German Castrol (GC) 0W-30, and Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra. I'm a GC fan in my LS1 simply because the engine sounds better over M1.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
He's on Maui. How is he going to go on long drives?
lol.gif

Your idea to make the next change in a couple of thousand miles has merit. No telling what has been deposited in the crankcase with all the short trips (some at wide open throttle, if you have lot boys like the ones I'm familiar with). I also agree with the every six month cycle suggested above. Even though the weather never gets cold, the short driving cycles and the moisture content in the air would indicate more frequent changes than normal.

Nothing wrong with M1, but LSX users have also had great luck with German Castrol (GC) 0W-30, and Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra. I'm a GC fan in my LS1 simply because the engine sounds better over M1.

A good drive is to the top of the volcano. smooth winding roads from sea level to about 10K feet. Air here on Maui is not very moist compared to the midwest where I came from, but not as dry as Naveda or Colorado. Will do the 3K change and then 2 times a year so they will run between 3-4K mile changes is does not cost that much. Thanks

I would suggest doing the next oil change in six months, then see how the next UOA looks and after that you could most likely do it just once a year.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I would suggest doing the next oil change in six months, then see how the next UOA looks and after that you could most likely do it just once a year.

I agree. You really can trust the OLM on these Vettes. Heck, I don't even change once a year anymore. I have UOAs to back up my changes. Plus, my 1998 Corvette's OLM is pessimistic, changing oil at 66% of the OCI (they later extended the OLM by 50% due to in-service experiences).

So based on what I have read about GM V8's and high iron and coppper when breaking in. Based on this test, and your recommendations. Everything looks OK and I should do another oil change in 3-4K miles or 6 months and run another test and the numbers should look alot better? Again thanks for the information, Even though I will trade this baby before the 5 year 100K mile engine warranty runs out, I can't stand to abuse an engine, so I want to do it right.

GC is not dexos approved; no way I'd run something that wasn't GM approved while still under warranty.

It's surprising that there have been no comments on how well the M1 ff held up for 4 years.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

I agree. You really can trust the OLM on these Vettes. Heck, I don't even change once a year anymore. I have UOAs to back up my changes. Plus, my 1998 Corvette's OLM is pessimistic, changing oil at 66% of the OCI (they later extended the OLM by 50% due to in-service experiences).

With my Corvette not being my daily driver anymore I know I could probably go longer than one year between changes but I'm just too impatient to wait that long between UOAs!
smile.gif
Plus it gives me the incentive to try to drive it more often during the nice weather so that I can get the oil life monitor down to zero before the end of the season
smile.gif

Agree that the volcano drive would flush the moisture. Took a rental car up that road once and the engine was very warm when we arrived. Then we disovered all the Port-A-Potties locked.

Necessity being the mother if invention, we were able to become lock pickers in short order.....

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
GC is not dexos approved; no way I'd run something that wasn't GM approved while still under warranty.

It's surprising that there have been no comments on how well the M1 ff held up for 4 years.

What does "dexos approved" have to do with a 2008 vehicle?

Did GM "back-spec" to dexos?

Cheers!

I have owned vettes and once a year OCI's under 7K-8K miles is fine... Just use a good syn oil like Mobil 1 Super, etc... If you track it, then that all changes. LOL. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Pitbull
Quick question to you experts. Based on the life left in this oil sample is their any chance I got any sludge in my new engine?

Virtually nil! The oil is still in great shape. I would do as others say and change every 6 months with an oil that meets spec. I think you will be good to go.

SLUDGE = HEAT & TIME / BAD DESIGN X INATTENTION

None of which apply to a 2008 Corvette with less than 10K miles.

Cheers!

p.s. Did you see the recent article in R&T about Corvettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back