"New" 2001 Honda Civic LX -- Replace Timing Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few fairly poor pictures taken with my cell phone:
4bcx.jpg

esff.jpg

I got a similar kind of deal. Last year I picked up a 2005 civic from a retired couple with 26500 kilometers. Sure, I paid a little more, but the car is just broken in!
It is my understanding that the 2001 to 2003 civic had numerous tranny problems that were corrected in 2004. You may want to do a single drain and fill each year. Great looking car you have.

Yeah, I'd definitely change the TB, drive belts, water pump and tensioner.

One item to watch out for are the compliance bushings (aka lower control arm bushings). The big bushing has a tendency to tear and cause clunking noises. It's a fairly easy fix - just replace the lower control arms with new ones.

It depends on the engine type they may be 60k or 105k (90k usually) interval. From what i remember the SOHC engine has a shorter belt and 1 cam pulley and a 180 deg turn so it wears out faster, and the DOHC with 2 cam pulleys has longer belt and not as tight turn on top so they last longer.

Changing the WP at 10+ years make sense if the coolant hasn't been changed too. The labor is free anyways and the pump is probably around $40-60.

Usually around here they charge $200 labor (or about 1.5-2 hours) if you bring parts to independent mechanic. I found 3rd party parts to be good enough for this purposes.

That generation of Civic is probably the most bullet proof and still good looking ones around.

We just got it back from the Honda dealership yesterday, and they changed the timing belt, coolant, water pump, spark plugs, ran techron in the gas, changed the accessory belts (they were starting to crack and fray), and they also notified us that the LF ball joint was torn and needed to be replaced, so we replaced both the LF and RF ball joints and had an alignment done. They also changed the oil even though we just had it done a few days ago.
33.gif
They said everything else looked "immaculate." I'll be doing a drain/refill of the ATF when the fluid I ordered comes in the mail. I'll be sticking to Amsoil for the Civic like I do in my Integra's transmission. I was going to do 1 year or 15,000 miles for the ATF. Hopefully it'll last us as long as we want that way.

One thing I noticed about this car is that the steering is much more responsive and touchy than it is in my car, as is the gas pedal. I suppose that could be a good thing or a bad thing...
55.gif

Char Baby -- We paid right around $6700 from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back