"New" 2001 Honda Civic LX -- Replace Timing Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a little while. Hope everyone is doing well.

I just picked out a "new" car for my girlfriend to replace her ailing Grand Am. We got a 2-door 2001 Honda Civic LX (non-VTEC) with only 55,000 original miles on it. It is in great condition, and appears to be well taken care of. Everything works, no sludge/varnish under the valve cover, etc. However, being that the car is 12 years old, should we replace the timing belt even with the very low mileage? I believe they recommend every 100,000-110,000 miles (not positive, as it didn't come with the owner's manual)... but I do not know how serious of a problem age is with these belts. Any help/advice/anecdotal evidence would be greatly appreciated!

I plan on changing the ATF and spark plugs when we pick it up today. Any other things I should be changing or looking for? The valvetrain sounds perfect (no ticking/knocking/etc.), so I'm not sure that they need to be adjusted as of yet. The tires are brand new, so those should be good to go. They are changing the oil today before we pick it up as well.

Thanks so much!
Derek

I would change it. Probably still good, but why risk it. When I buy a used car with a timing belt like my 01 crv, first thing I have done is the timing belt/water pump.(Had done at 84k miles)

The 2000's era of hondas had terrible transmissions, especially civic and accord, good luck.

In our 2005 Acura MDX's owner's manual, it recommends a timing belt change at 105,000 miles or at seven years, whichever comes first. I did ours at about 95,000 miles, which eight years of age on it. Everything looked like new; looks like it could have gone another 100,000 miles that way.

I'd change it when you have the opportunity, on your '01 Civic. Sounds like it's a creampuff. Post pictures when you can.

Some guys on the Accord forum have 200k on their original timing belts. So their pretty durable. I'd pull a carfax to make sure it hasn't been done yet. Call some Honda dealers for service records also to see if it was done yet or not. Never heard of one snapping with low mileage and I'm on an Accord forum daily.

Hopefully, the atf is fresh and a red/pink color versus black/brown. I'd do some drain/fills with some Honda atf and probably a bottle of Lubeguard.

Stick to Denso/NGK for plugs. Autozone/AA have them at a decent price.

We pulled a Carfax, and it didn't show any maintenance records on it. Just registration renewals. I was thinking of going with Amsoil ATF as I've had great luck with it in my Acura. I've heard of a few isolated instances of people having transmission failures, which makes me want to use the better stuff even more. It felt fine when we drove it. No slippage/grinding/clunking/etc. I've always used NGK spark plugs in my car, so I'll likely use those on the Civic as well. Pep Boys has 'em for around $2 a piece, if I remember right. I know when I first got my car, I did 2 or 3 drain/refills of the transmission in a row just to make sure it was as fresh as possible. I know Honda had quite a few issues with the V6 Accords and the V6 Acuras, but I haven't seen it quite as common in the Civics. It kind of makes me wonder if the failures in the Civic are from not changing the fluid regularly enough...

I think we will go ahead and replace the timing belt now, just to make sure that it's good to go for the next 7+ years. I'd hate for something to happen to such a low mileage engine, as finding a low mileage replacement wouldn't be as easy as finding one with over 100k on it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Some guys on the Accord forum have 200k on their original timing belts. So their pretty durable. I'd pull a carfax to make sure it hasn't been done yet. Call some Honda dealers for service records also to see if it was done yet or not. Never heard of one snapping with low mileage and I'm on an Accord forum daily.

Heres a accord timing belt with 225k, magic must be holding this together lol!
d3T3JjH.jpg

stolen from /r/justrolledintotheshop

Originally Posted By: surfstar
If you do change it, I'd do belt only. No WP, no tensioner, or idler. Save those for the next go-round.

Without being too rude, I would disagree with this advice. I'm referencing the Audi community, but all of the examples of timing belt failures that I've read and seen on the forums have not been from the belt being the primary failure point, but it was one of the tensioner bearings siezing or the hydraulic tensioner losing its fluid that led to the timing being thrown out of spec or the belt being shredded.

I'd say that if you don't hear any evidence of noisy bearings on the front of the engine, or the sound a belt would make if it was not fully tensioned, you can drive it as is for a little while if need be. You'll get misfire codes if the tensioner is losing its ability to hold the belt before you ever get to the point of catastrophic damage. If you have no problem paying for the serivce right away or the parts if you'll do the work yourself, then just do it now with all of the associated parts.

I was planning on having the tensioner and water pump done, as it's usually done at the same time. Better safe than sorry.

I listened under the hood and the engine sounds perfect. Much more quiet than my old Acura. No noises/knocks/squeaks/etc., just sounds like a quiet sewing machine. You can barely hear the car running.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Heres a accord timing belt with 225k, magic must be holding this together lol!
d3T3JjH.jpg

stolen from /r/justrolledintotheshop

Wow! I can't believe that. Someone must've been watching over that driver...

We got some quotes from nearby dealerships, and we are taking it in monday to get the belt/water pump done. The best deal we found was around $640 for the timing belt and water pump service. The car is in such good shape, and we want to do our best to keep it that way.
thumbsup2.gif
thanks for everyone's replies! I took a picture of it, so I'll post it later today when I get reception on my phone. I'm also taking to heart the potential issues with the transmission, so we intend to change the transmission fluid at least once a year using Amsoil ATF to help prolong the life of it. I've had great results with it in my Acura for the past 80,000 miles, so it should serve the Civic well and hold up to the heat from the torque converter. On the first service, I plan to do two back-to-back drain/refills to get more of the old fluid out.

Yes, it's better safe that sorry!
It's not often we run into these deals(10/12 yr 'ol car w/50k-60k mi)You're doing the right thing at $640.

Do you know if the dealer is going to use a Genuine Honda Belt/water pump? How about the other belts?

Make this car what you want it to be by replacing anything that you don't like...as you mentioned such as, ATF spark plugs. And how about the brake fluid/P/S fluid, brakes/tires. Stay with good stuff!

I did this with my daughters car(father-ized it)
smile.gif

An 01 Civic with only 55k, now that's the story here. Tough to find.

Got an 01 Civic EX purchased new closing on 200k. Belt and water pump done ~105k. It was done by an indy high school auto tech teacher for about half what dealers want.

That said, there is a dealer not too far from me that advertises a long running TB/WP special, $400 4 cylinder, $500 6 cylinder. When time comes time if the indy doesn't want to do it, will use that ad for a local dealer price match or just go to the dealer with the special.

Congrats on finding a low miles Civic. Rare I'd say.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It's not often we run into these deals(10/12 yr 'ol car w/50k-60k mi)You're doing the right thing at $640.

Do you know if the dealer is going to use a Genuine Honda Belt/water pump? How about the other belts?

Make this car what you want it to be by replacing anything that you don't like...as you mentioned such as, ATF spark plugs. And how about the brake fluid/P/S fluid, brakes/tires. Stay with good stuff!

smile.gif

It is a Honda dealership, so I am assuming they are using OEM parts. I checked the brake fluid and the power steering fluid, and it looks great, but I may end up changing them anyways. I have some Honda PSF in the garage, and I may consider siphoning it out and putting fresh in after I look at it more closely. The tires are brand new Goodyears, so they should be alright to go. The brakes felt fine, but I will have them check them when we take it to the dealership for the timing belt service. The accessory belts currently on the car look good as new. No fraying/cracks/noises/etc.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
An 01 Civic with only 55k, now that's the story here. Tough to find.

Got an 01 Civic EX purchased new closing on 200k. Belt and water pump done ~105k. It was done by an indy high school auto tech teacher for about half what dealers want.

That said, there is a dealer not too far from me that advertises a long running TB/WP special, $400 4 cylinder, $500 6 cylinder. When time comes time if the indy doesn't want to do it, will use that ad for a local dealer price match or just go to the dealer with the special.

Congrats on finding a low miles Civic. Rare I'd say.

Thanks! It's like a time capsule, really. It almost makes us afraid to drive it, but we will enjoy it. :) Is your Civic an automatic or a manual?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
... Is your Civic an automatic or a manual?

AT. Had seen single d&f's at 25-30k intervals using Z-1 till ~165k when Z-1 was discontinued. Now it's MaxLife on second d&f with over 25k miles on that ATF, nothing unusual to report.

55k is barely broken in for an 01.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
... Is your Civic an automatic or a manual?

AT. Had seen single d&f's at 25-30k intervals using Z-1 till ~165k when Z-1 was discontinued. Now it's MaxLife on second d&f with over 25k miles on that ATF, nothing unusual to report.

55k is barely broken in for an 01.

Thanks! I've been curious to know what owners do to maintain their high mileage ATs in their '01 Civics, so I can know what works and what doesn't work. I really do think a lot of the failures are from not changing the fluid enough (if at all). Of course, I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

smile.gif

It is a Honda dealership, so I am assuming they are using OEM parts. I checked the brake fluid and the power steering fluid, and it looks great, but I may end up changing them anyways. I have some Honda PSF in the garage, and I may consider siphoning it out and putting fresh in after I look at it more closely. The tires are brand new Goodyears, so they should be alright to go. The brakes felt fine, but I will have them check them when we take it to the dealership for the timing belt service. The accessory belts currently on the car look good as new. No fraying/cracks/noises/etc.

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and included in that price is the cost of replacing the spark plugs, and also flushing the coolant. Saves me from having to do two more tasks I already planned on.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back