New 2 Stroke Equipment - Oil Sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would never run it that thin. But , amsoil obviously gets away with that claim. A local stihl tech told me he runs it 80:1 in his personal equipment. Idk if he has done a tear down so see what kind of lubrication he is getting that lean. But, I'll ask him next time.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by MolaKule

I determine the preferred ratio by listening to the engine and watching its exhaust.

If I hear the engine making a high-pitched popping noise (short explosive sounds), the mix is too lean (too much fuel). If after the engine is hot and it still smokes, the mix is too rich with oil.

I would say that if it runs lean...there is too little fuel in mixture?
smile.gif
Typo?

I would rather describe that sound as sound you can hear when you turn on a electric coffe grinder...and that sound is sound of death
smile.gif

Depends.

If referring solely to stoichiometric ratios (air-fuel), yes.

If referring to 2-cycle mixes, too lean means popping noises with too much fuel and not enough oil. Rich means too much oil and not enough fuel with visible smoke from the exhaust.

Another way to describe the "high-pitched popping noise (short explosive sounds)" is the sounds a Kurig coffee maker sounds when the last drops come out.

Bubbatime, I run an oily 32;1 mix in evrything. From the old Stihl and LBs to my 2 yr old Husqavarna weedwacker Mix oil is Valvoline universal. Never,ever had any carbon issues. Your advice runs counter to guys who race 2 strokes with much lower ratios.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Bubbatime, I run an oily 32;1 mix in evrything. From the old Stihl and LBs to my 2 yr old Husqavarna weedwacker Mix oil is Valvoline universal. Never,ever had any carbon issues. Your advice runs counter to guys who race 2 strokes with much lower ratios.
grin2.gif

I agree. Carbon build up is an over used excuse on this forum.

Use synthetic, I switched all my 2 cycle stuff to synthetic a few years ago, starts up better, idles better, little smoke. Even works great in older equipment.

No one races a Ryobi chainsaw or weed trimmer. Dirt bike does not equal lawn and garden tools. Carbon builds up in the cylinder tops which breaks off and scores the cylinders, lowering compression, and ruining power equipment.

Don't believe me, I don't care. I've seen it with my own eyes hundreds of times. Tommy the lawn guru dumps extra oil in because "more is better yo" and his junk last half as long as the next guy that used 50:1.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
No one races a Ryobi chainsaw or weed trimmer. Dirt bike does not equal lawn and garden tools. Carbon builds up in the cylinder tops which breaks off and scores the cylinders, lowering compression, and ruining power equipment.

Don't believe me, I don't care. I've seen it with my own eyes hundreds of times. Tommy the lawn guru dumps extra oil in because "more is better yo" and his junk last half as long as the next guy that used 50:1.

I completely agree with this and your first post. I've also seen it for myself when too much oil is used in lawn and garden equipment two strokes. Carbon scoring has been the ruin of more home use two strokes than any other issue. Needle bearings are used in these engines, and they require only a tiny amount of oil for proper lubrication. Using a 50:1 ratio is more than enough oil for the needle bearings and the piston and rings. Extra oil is only going to add extra carbon to the piston top and sides causing scoring ,ring jacking and eventual ring seizure. All this because someone believes 50:1 is not enough oil. Give me a break.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

As a small engine mechanic on the side who has also seen this, I second Bubba's comment.

Why use more oil if you don't have to? Will 40:1 in something that requires 50:1 really hurt anything? Probably not, but it won't really help either. I service chainsaws, weed wackers, and other 2 stroke equipment that is used commercially by local landscape companies. These guys use the cheapest oil and fuel they can find, and their equipment lasts thousands of hours. Most of them get replaced because of other non-engine related problems and wear. Not to mention if anything the only difference will be more oil in the exhaust, which why breathe that if you don't have to?

So 1.4oz more oil in 128oz of gas is going to cause cylinder scoring, excessive carbon on piston tops, ring jacking and ring seizure???

mmmmmmk.

"Small engine mechanics"....

Originally Posted by Srt20
So 1.4oz more oil in 128oz of gas is going to cause cylinder scoring, excessive carbon on piston tops, ring jacking and ring seizure???

mmmmmmk.

"Small engine mechanics"....

I'm talking about the people who use 20:1 mix because they think more is better. Like I said, will 40:1 mix in a 50:1 machine hurt anything? Not likely, but why deviate from manufacturer spec when there is no need to? This is like those who choose to run special boutique synthetic (like Amsoil) and change it every 3,000 miles haha.

Pointless over maintenance when the machine will ultimately meet it's demise from something non-engine related.

Originally Posted by Linctex
In modern 2-strokes, there's nothing wrong with 50:1

If it's a very seldom used tool, buy the canned fuel for $5 and save a lot of headaches later.

That's what I do for the snowblower. Has 92 OCT 0% ethanol and 50:1 mix of synthetic. Plus my tank only holds 33oz so the quart bottle is perfect.

Wow, what have I started here...
27.gif

I have been using the Klotz Benol since probably 2003-04 as I had an abundance (couple gallons) from when I used to be into Nitro RC cars and we'd add a little bit of extra oil to the fuel. I typically mixed it 40:1 most times and never had an issue in my Stihl equipment. Yes it would smoke a good bit and it did clog the spark arrestor a while back, but it would always run great. Not gonna get into the cylinder/piston scoring. Guess I'll just go back to going by the local Stihl dealer and get their 50:1 syn mix or Amsoil Saber.

Originally Posted by Delta
Wow, what have I started here...
27.gif

I have been using the Klotz Benol since probably 2003-04 as I had an abundance (couple gallons) from when I used to be into Nitro RC cars and we'd add a little bit of extra oil to the fuel. I typically mixed it 40:1 most times and never had an issue in my Stihl equipment. Yes it would smoke a good bit and it did clog the spark arrestor a while back, but it would always run great. Not gonna get into the cylinder/piston scoring. Guess I'll just go back to going by the local Stihl dealer and get their 50:1 syn mix or Amsoil Saber.

My stihl dealer recommended saber over the stihl oils and he tears down equipment everyday. Stihl Ultra gets a bad rap on the chainsaw forums.

Why is it on most every engine, either 2 or 4 cycle, that people do not follow the manufacturer's directives on recommended oils? All this 32:1 stuff?? If you are looking to foul your plug, carbon up the cylinder, clog the muffler screen then over indulge the oil specs. I don't get it......

slomo

http://www.hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1740

Scroll & read also trough that topic ^^^...and you will see why 32:1 is optimal for 2stroke engine...

I am still searching for one article from 70's where they were experimenting with (slightly) radioactive 2stroke oil to observe oil migration in an engine @ different rpms...

Topic contains one PDF doccument from Maxima that adresses oil migration but not with radioactive isotops but with "trail&error" approach...

Originally Posted by slomo
Why is it on most every engine, either 2 or 4 cycle, that people do not follow the manufacturer's directives on recommended oils? All this 32:1 stuff?? If you are looking to foul your plug, carbon up the cylinder, clog the muffler screen then over indulge the oil specs. I don't get it......

slomo

Because most people think 50:1 is EPA driven.

every time i mix a new tank of 2 cycle i need to tune my carb a little to get it to run perfect. i have found even a small variation in the oil will mess with the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back