New '09 Legacy 2.5i SE - I'm thinking 5w-40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny

As for as when to change the oil: Like I said, I have not seen a manual for a new 2009 model, but they use to say change at 3,750 miles, period. Then I think they started saying 3,750 for server service and 7,500 miles for normal service. If you drive 75% of the time running around town, stop and go, red light to red light, short trips to work or the store, Subaru NA considers that severe service.

That is for all turbo models...the NA follows the standard schedule, and should really be fine at 7.5K OCI. YMMV, but I would sleep well at night with that interval in a non-turbo Subie. You can always do it at 5K if you'd like.

Just checked & compared the Viscosity at 40 C (Mobil 1 5w30 & 5w40)and see that the 40 weight is much heaver for the start & warmup phase. Just another reason to no try to out guess the engineering/manufactures recomendations.

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Outback with the same engine. PP 5w-40 European is what mine get's. I have put that in since she had 2000 miles on her. This oil is spec'd in Europe. I do ALOT of highway driving and I know this will protect my engine. She is 4 months old with 12,012+- miles already. 5w-40 worked great in my Audi with the 1.8T. It is working fine in my Subaru.

Where are you finding the PP 5w-40? I've never seen that on the shelf anywhere. I did see PP 5W-50 on the shelf today at AutoZone.

GC could be the best option given its thicker nature ability to stay in grade and good cold flow characteristics. The GC might be the best formulation available to general public for general use. Still thicker oils just seem to have that rally charm to them, for me at least

I'm currently trying GC in my '05 Pathfinder. I'm concerned about GC though as I notice a trend of high values for lead in many of the analyses for it. The pathfinder runs silky smooth with it.

There is no reason to use a thick oil like 5w40. If you want to be good friends with your engine, feed it 5w30, and if you want to be really good friends, use SuperTech synthetic. I've been using it for 15 years, my engines love it, they start instantly, and I pull away immediately without any warm up; none of my engines use oil, and the only additive I use is Promoly, in small amounts (1/3 or 1/2 bottle per oil change). 5w40 is far too thick when cold, and this is the time that 90% of engine wear is occuring.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
5w40 is far too thick when cold, and this is the time that 90% of engine wear is occuring.
That increased engine wear is NOT soley or mostly because the oil is too thick. Other temperature related affects are simulaneously going on...like anti-wear additive effectiveness, which has a reaction rate that depends partly on local temperatures.

5W-40 would not hurt your vehicle and offer plenty cold start protection...How many European car companies spec 5W-40 in Europe where there are indeed many cold places in the winter? LOL

My son has a '07 Impreza w/ 5W-30. He drives many miles each week going to and from law school In Southern California. IMO 5W-30 will do everything you want without the possible sacrifice in MPG.

I live in Florida, and most Subaru engines I see get 10w30 or 5w30, and they last for ages. I have a hard time seeing how Xw40 can be helpful.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just checked & compared the Viscosity at 40 C (Mobil 1 5w30 & 5w40)and see that the 40 weight is much heaver for the start & warmup phase. Just another reason to no try to out guess the engineering/manufactures recomendations.

My three Subaru owner's manuals say 5W30 is preferred for fuel economy and thicker viscosities are required in hot temps. It also says 10W30 and 10W40 are ok from 0F and up. I presume the the OP's manual says the same thing.

Running Amsoil DEO 5W40 in my wife's 99 OB with 120k and it's smooooooth.
cool.gif

-Dennis

07 manual says 5W-30 is "preferred"...Proper quality, viscosity as well as one that will add to fuel economy. Not just for fuel economy...

Come on...

Also 5W-30 is shown to be recommended in temps below -20 to over 100 degrees. That takes care of 99.9999% of US users.

In desert areas and very high temperatures (how high is high?) and heavy duty such as trailer towing.....the following is recommended you can use 10W-50, 20W-40 and 20W-50

I think they're talking about a turbo. turbo spins at 10,000 rpm and oil is subjected to crazy stresses. current discussion is about an NA engine, which is like night and day. NA engine means you can run a thin oil, and your engine will love it. mine loves a 5w25 frankenmix.

a subaru 2.5 turbo will shear down a 5w30 to 5w20 within 1000 miles. meanwhile in the NA engine, the 5w25 is still a 5w25. turbo oil change mandatory at 3750, but that is still pushing it, really should change at 3000 max. easily safe to use a 5w20 in an NA engine because modern 5w20 is highly shear stable. it's probably even better, but subaru doesn't want people to mix it up, and then grenade their expensive high tech blown engines

scoobie

If you are responding to me, those are what the 07 manual states for NA or turbo.

Subaru lists 5W-30 as recommended for -20 to over 100 degrees. 10W-30,10W-40 and 10W-50 for 0 to over 100 degrees.

Also states ILSAC starburst or API SM with ENERGY CONSERVATION.

No mention of 5W-25 Frankenmix.... LOL

BTW Subaru changed their turbo OCI in 2008 to 3,750 miles...which is severe service for both turbo and NA in '07.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back