New '09 Legacy 2.5i SE - I'm thinking 5w-40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I bought an '09 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE with the N/A engine. Owner's manual states 5w-30 preferred, 10w-30, 10w40 should be used for hot climates, towing, etc. I'm thinking a 5w-40 should be perfect for this car. So which one?

Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 SM/CF
Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 SM/CJ
Rotella T Syn 5w-40 SM/CJ

I'd prefer something off the shelf and I'll be running 7,500 mile OCIs. The Rotella seems to be the best value when purchased at Wally World..

Opinions?

Are you going to do this now or after it is out of warranty? If now, I would sure get something in writing from either Subaru NA or your dealer that this will be okay. I might be wrong as I have not seen a 2009 owners manual for a Subaru, but I kind of doubt it says anything about using a 5W-40 or 7,500 mile oil changes.

I would stick with the manufactures recommendation of 5w30. My Forester manual suggest the heavier oil in desert tempetures and or trailer towing. If you don't do towing or drive in 125 degree desert then use Pennzoil 5w30 or Mi 5w30.

7500 mile oil changes are spec'd for non-turbo Subarus. SM oil is required. 5w-40 SM rated oil will not void the warranty. Also, 5w-40 seems to be what Subaru specs for this engine in Europe.

1. 7500 OCI might be spec'd for normal but not severe service.
2. Yes, SM oil is required, but it does not say anything about 5W-40.
3. Virginia is not part of Europe.

But hey, you asked and we gave our recommendations or opinions. Final decision is yours. It your car.

No, you haven't read Dr. Haas's lectures: check under science and technology forum
the venerable Dr. Haas uses 5w20 in his Ferrari/Masserati

I just bought a nice 08 Scoobie Impreza 2.5NA, used rental with 7000 miles on it. I've already put on another 8000 miles.
I run the frankenmix MC 5w20 : ST synth 5w30 to give a 5w25.
Your engine doesn't want a thicker oil. 90%of wear occurs during start up and warm up, when the oil is already TOO THICK.

Definitely not 5w40. If you wish to run a thick oil, then use ST5w30. It has excellent cold pour properties. If you wish to run an alternative, the use a frankenmix 5w25. My engine loves it, runs super quiet. this is a passenger vehicle, and i don't drive it continuously flat out on a track, i drive it on public roads, and the thinner oil gives more flow, which means more lubrication, better cooling by the oil, and my engine will last longer.

What does a 5W-25 oil do over a 5w-30? What oil temps does Doc Hass' car get to when he drives the car around? A Lambo is different than a Scobbie doo.

You would want to use the thinnest oil that will still protect your engine, yet not too thick as to cost your engine horsepower.The 5w-30 will give you all the protection your engine needs.

In the new EJ25, I would run the 30-wt while it is new. 7500mi OCI should be fine for street-driven, non-towing/non-autocross cars. Those motors are insanely tough, and they usually only like a 40-wt if they are beat on heavily, autocrossed/track-day, exhibit the "Subaru Piston Slap", or have really high miles.

The only reason I am running a 15w-40 in my car (we have the same engine, other than the variable timing and intake manifolds) is that I have 188K miles and had a jug of it laying around to do my Auto-RX cleaning in. After that, it's back to a 30-wt. My autocross-only Impreza with the 2.2L really liked the 5w-40 oils, but it had 200K miles and was run at full throttle most of its life.

Just like the Saab turbos, the Subarus (turbo and NA) really tend to need a heavier oil due to their larger clearances, BUT if the car is brand-new, I would stick to an Xw-30.

Thanks. I appreciate your well-thought out and thoughtful response. Useful info based on experience...as opposed to trying to give me a geography lesson.

She's only got 250 miles on her, so I've got some time to think it over. I'm still leaning towards the 5w-40 though.

I think you'd be fine using a 30-grade right off the bat, but since your owners manual says you can use a 40-grade and you're in a climate that favors it (although I do know that Virginia does get a little snow sometimes), I don't think it will matter either way.

From a 2007 Subaru communication;

"Currently the FHI/SIA factory fill oil is 0W-20 mineral oil for the H4 SOHC(w/o VVL) and 5W-30 mineral oil for all others. The oil is designated as SM and GF-4 and is manufactured by Shin-Nihon Petroleum (FHI) and Shell (SIA)."

A lot of 5W-40 lovers here ha! Well thin is in not only on the catwalk and ain't much we can do about it. Since your manual allows ..W-40 grade then 5W-40 should be absolutely fine, winter excluded.
I used 5W-40 (VI @100 14.1 cSt so kinda thin 40)in my 2002 Acura CL-S which specs 5W-30 and 5W-20 the engine did not make any strange sounds no molases effect and it did not sieze-up either
And yes my stash includes 5w50 and 20W-50 although only 16 litres combined

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
Thanks. I appreciate your well-thought out and thoughtful response. Useful info based on experience...as opposed to trying to give me a geography lesson.

She's only got 250 miles on her, so I've got some time to think it over. I'm still leaning towards the 5w-40 though.

Sorry, I was not trying to give you a geography lesson. You were the one that brought up Europe. I agree that a 5W-40 will not harm your new Subaru, but my advise was to get it in writing from either Subaru NA or the dealer you purchased the car from. The only reason I suggested that was from experience I had with Subaru NA on a Forester I owned and I liked to have never got a warranty claim paid, just because I did not follow the directions in my owners manual to a T.

As for as when to change the oil: Like I said, I have not seen a manual for a new 2009 model, but they use to say change at 3,750 miles, period. Then I think they started saying 3,750 for server service and 7,500 miles for normal service. If you drive 75% of the time running around town, stop and go, red light to red light, short trips to work or the store, Subaru NA considers that severe service.

This is all just an FYI from past experience. Enjoy your new car. They are very nice.

Having worked for Pennzoil, having over 4700 posts, and being here on the forum since 2002, I think Johnny has the most "experience" out of everyone posting a reply to your question.

He has good info.
cheers3.gif

7500 mile oil changes are spec'd for non-turbo Subarus. SM oil is required. 5w-40 SM rated oil will not void the warranty. Also, 5w-40 seems to be what Subaru specs for this engine in Europe.

We're changing to thinner oils here too :)
Subaru recommends 0W-30, 5W-30 and 5W-40 for the 2.5 NA EJ 25 Engine. OCI is 15000 km / 12 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back