Never used mobil 1 syn before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use sopus or Castrol products but today I picked up the mobil 1 5w30. Wallyworld didn't have qsud in the 5w30 flavor. It was 22 dollars for a 5qt jug so it was only one dollar more then qsud so why not. Now ive heard that using m1 can show more iron in the uoas but im not sure about that. Anyone hear use m1.

I will be using it in both the Uplander, and Accord next OCI. M1 is certainly one of the flagship synthetics, and if I am correct the high iron readings were from the SM versions. The current API SN versions should be fine in that regard.

Lots of people use it on this site. I heard much of the same about higher iron readings in UOAs, but this was likely SM or earlier versions. Speaking for myself, M1 AFE 0W-20 had the lowest iron readings of any oil I have used to date. It is good oil and will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt

Anyone here use m1?

Only a few ... google M1 UOA on google and you'll find many examples here on BITOG...
Kevin

I haven't had any issues running Mobil 1 in any of my previous vehicles and now just picked it back up for use in my car. I will say though and maybe this is just a fluke, but having done my oil change yesterday I am getting a little bit of a rough idle in park. Which is something new for this car, I have previously been running QS defy and decided to go M1 since it has worked so well in the past on previous DC vehicles and fords I've owned.

Been using it for several years, M1 High Mileage that is, with no problems. Any oil is good if it's recommended by your owner's manual (grade and API Service).

Excellent oil! You'll know if your engine likes it or not after you do your OCI. Some folks including myself have complained about extra valve train noise from certain grades of M-1 but, that may have been from the SL of SM oils. The new SN may not give engines such an audiable sound. Try it and keep us posted
smile.gif

I run M1 5w30 in my Tacoma, SN version, and the only noise I have is the famous Taco Tick. It's a great oil IMO as well as Mobil Super 5k. I just got my UOA kit from blackstone labs so expect to see a UOA report on it around August!

Ya i am using mobil 1 ep right now and having seen lot of uoa with less then stellar aluminium & iron count i think i ll switch to valvoline premium conventional 5w30 .wear wise it did better then a lot of other synthetic on the 48 brand test and my car call for 5w30 so its perfect .even then 5w20 was in the 90000 .yep still in awsome territory.and lot of uoa of valvoline (non moly )show very good uoa result.but like some say ,it is a 3000 mile oil .(i can live with that!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Ya i am using mobil 1 ep right now and having seen lot of uoa with less then stellar aluminium & iron count i think i ll switch to valvoline premium conventional 5w30 .wear wise it did better then a lot of other synthetic on the 48 brand test and my car call for 5w30 so its perfect .even then 5w20 was in the 90000 .yep still in awsome territory.and lot of uoa of valvoline (non moly )show very good uoa result.but like some say ,it is a 3000 mile oil .(i can live with that!

I am struggling to understand your point...if your point is: Mobil 1 leads to high iron and aluminum...I don't accept that. I've had great UOAs with M1.

M1 is a great oil. A few ppm in an UOA is near worthless info and should absolutely not be used to compare two different oils!

I disagree ,if blackstone detect say 25 ppm in iron and 10 ppm f aluminium how much is still in the engine top wherever .iron rust .go in a truckstop. And if there is 25 pppm sitting in my engine without oil and aluminium also in the 10 ppm (its probably more)it will create a rust that can chew part.on a short trip car ?outch.true oil have anti oxidant.only when its present.polarity of oil and all that.true !no oil is perfect but oil in metal need to be insanelly low i believe

Do you know how much 10-25 parts per million is, especially when it is a dissolved metal? I don't think you understand the physics here. Or the chemistry.

I disagree ,if blackstone detect say 25 ppm in iron and 10 ppm f aluminium how much is still in the engine top wherever .iron rust .go in a truckstop. And if there is 25 pppm sitting in my engine without oil and aluminium also in the 10 ppm (its probably more)it will create a rust that can chew part.on a short trip car ?outch.true oil have anti oxidant.only when its present.polarity of oil and all that.true !no oil is perfect but oil in metal need to be insanelly low i believe

If insanely low is the goal...then 25 Parts per MILLION would satisfy that goal...but the PPM are not relevant except when taken in the context of how many miles are driven and what the experience with that engine shows. E.G. 25 PPM on a 1,000 mile sample would be high, but 25 PPM on a 15,000 mile run would be very, very low.

I would recommend that you read through Dave Newton's excellent explanation here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back