Never thought I'd find myself on an oil forum, but here goes....

As the OP, I really appreciate all the continuing dialogue on this forum I just stumbled across for my first post.

Agree, at this point for the purpose of good information for all..... the question now is how common is it for the oil service notification to incorporate an Intelligent or "Smart" analysis feature on recently manufactured vehicles. And how smart are they? Would not surprise me if more common than we would expect. Think about how intelligent charging systems have become on BMWs these days. Gone are the days of simply changing the battery yourself (without resetting/programming/coding)? Spent too much time educating the local auto parts retail franchises that they need to do more when offering free physical battery installation when replacing the battery on new battery sales. This from a casual walk-in customer/home garage mechanic.

On branding, again I lean on experience in the replacement battery space, as well as the manu. spec. for both the vehicle and battery manufacturer. If you visit the local auto parts retailers in European, you will find the common battery is branded Varta. This brand was most likely installed in many of the Euro imports to the US. Try to buy the same brand in the US and you will find it priced accordingly high as an imported product, even though the dealer may insist you install one.

I am still trying to find the article i read some time ago on oil service life monitors but cant find it right now.

Depending on how ''intelligent'' it is it takes a lot of factors into consideration:

Operating hours
Idle time (for example if somebody lets their vehicle idle every morning for 10 minutes to heat it up)
Amount of start/stops
Full throttle time (richer air/fuel ratio)
Climate temperatures
Coolant temperatures
Oil temperatures
If the car spends a lot of time on average low oil temps or if it sees a lot of average high oil temps.
Long highway usage vs short trips.
And like bmw where it measures the conductivity in the oil.

Probably some stuff i am still missing.

For example i used to do a lot of long trips with my bmw which where 1300 miles in about 20 hours nonstop driving hauling a trailer through germany to poland and back to the netherlands. This was 99% highway with average speeds of around 80 miles an hour.

Even though this was 1300 miles the OLM did not decrease with 1300 miles but actually decreased only around half of that.
This is because consistent highway speeds eventhough the load was pretty high are considered being the easiest on the oil.
Conistent temp, no dilution, no idling, no starts, and vapourizing the dilution that might be in there.

My brother has a peugeot (EU only car) and eventough it has very long ocis (22k miles) this decreased to 14k miles because the car only saw short trips. That car has no oil sensor whatsover and just bases it only on temps and its algorithem.

This however is based on the prescribed oil with x viscosity and x additves etc.. It will not take other things in to considoration and behave the same.
If your mercedes is not known for having specific problems like oil dilution, timing chain wear etc... than i would stick to the olm or maybe change it out a couple thousend miles before if that makes you feel better. I do not see a benefit in switching to other oils especially with the warranty etc...

Mercedes just uses numbers for any approval, but yes it is confusing. 236.x is ATF, 228.x & 229.x are engine oil, etc.
Yes exactly, the first 3 numbers make a little sense but then you have for example 236.10, 236.11, 236.12 and those are then all 5 speed approved but 236.13 is then 5 and 7 speed approved. 236.14 is only 7 speed. 236.15 is only second gen 7 speed approved etc...

I am just making the numbers up but that is what it looked like to me when i was searching for atf for a friends 5 speed.

ZF lifeguard 6= 6 speed
ZF lifeguard 8= 8 speed
ZF lifeguard 9= 9 speed

ZF warns you to not mix any of them.
Me stupid understand🤓

Back