Never heard before ping while rpms are high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came home from OCMD today in the Ram in my signature. Truck has 69,542 orginal miles. Since I have purchased this truck I have done all routine maintenance with plug/wire changes, rotor & cap & PCV valve. Ran acouple doses of Techron Fuel System Cleaner with instruction with bottle. I always run 87 octane and used my superchips programmer on gas save on the way down & back which was 132 miles each way. On the way down I averaged 19.2 mpg doing the speed limit with windows open. On the way home I refilled using a Exxon gas Station and my typical 87 octane. Was 93 degrees out & hot and humid soo the AC went on the whole way home. Acouple times getting on the expressway I had it WOT and right before it was gonna shift the motor started to ping. Did this 3 different occasions which this truck "NEVER" made that noise before? Opinions please on what might have caused the ping would be greatly appreciated. Just changed the oil & filter before leaving to Pennzoil Ultra 5-30 with a Bosh D+ and added a can of MOS2. My as mileage with AC on the whole way and doing the speedlimit also was 17.1 which still blows my mind.

I'm wondering if the stock program dials the timing back when it gets hot. The superchip may not have dialed it back and with warm incoming air, and 87 oct at wot, it pinged.

Try using 91-93 octane and see if it helps. Why would you run regular on a chipped engine?

Its a plug in OBD programmer--not a chip. It has different mode settings and one of the modes is Mileage XS Save. That mode is for better gas mileage & I would have thought that was the best mode to be in with a road trip? I have had it in that mode and had it WOT many times before and it never pinged but never with the AC on and with this heat & humidity like today for such long periods of time? I was just wondering if maybe it was the Maryland Gas or "something". Since I have came home & washed the truck I immediately put it back to stock mode for the time being. Still would like to get some help with hints/feedback from my BITOG associates if possible please to any suggestions. Thanks Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
If the intake manifold plenum pan gasket is blown , that's known for causing pinging due to built up oil in the intake being sucked in at WOT. If the gasket hasn't been changed, it's almost guaranteed to be blown.

Just go up a grade or two. No promises though, our Uplander has pinged for 2 years now. As soon as the coolant temp hits the middle its starts to ping upon acceleration at any speed in between 2500-4000 rpm. Replaced plugs, wires, coolant, coolant temp sensor, always faithful changing oil, MANY MANY Techron doses, new knock sensor. But alas she still pings on a daily basis. Just living with it at this point.

Do you use mmo or tcw3 in the fuel? Reason I ask is that my truck pings at high rpm
with even the smallest dose of any UCL. Its mildly tuned. I rock straight gasoline now and forever.

I get pinging on a hot engine when I`m shifting and REALLY putting my foot into it. I`m just thinking that it`s because of the [censored] ethanol gas we`re forced to use.

The problem is your programer or chip or whatever it is changed the timing so now you need to run more octane to prevent predetination. It also is overriding the stock ECM which would detect it and retard timing.

In short you either need to run more octane or take the chip out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The problem is your programer or chip or whatever it is changed the timing so now you need to run more octane to prevent predetination. It also is overriding the stock ECM which would detect it and retard timing.

If it was me, I couldn't get rid of that chip fast enough.

Yup, that. Do you think Dodge wouldn't want the last 1/10 mile per gallon? They'd have put that in their programming if they could do it and have it run right.

If you want to save gas, put an imaginary 1/2" block of wood under the gas pedal, and never go WOT.

Remember the 318 is an archaic design from long ago. Modern band aids like FI and knock sensors cannot compensate for poor cylinder head design.

But it is highly likely that the dreaded gasket failure that is so common has occurred here. Happens a lot, and is more likely with miles or years.

But the tuner throws a wrench in the logic, as many tunes disable or alter the knock sensor programming to allow extra advance. If this truck doesn't use any oil the tune is the likely culprit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the truck has not used a speck of oil since I purchased it in 2011. Was hopeing with the low orginal miles I would not have the dreaded intake gasket failure as I have read many many times on the Dodge Forums. I did run about 12 ounces of MMO in the fill up on the way home for the first time. I know I overdosed it but was hopeing it would not be a problem????
frown.gif

I flushed & changed the coolant & put a new water pump on also when I bought the truck. I have no payments and would luv to have this truck last me along time with some luck & lots of tender luving care!!

Those motors don't have knock sensors, so the computer won't pull timing if it pings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back