Never changed the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in HS a kid I ran around with dad bought a 73 chevy pickup brand new & ran it 57,000 mi with no oil change. Just added when low using the cheapest oil well under 1.00/qt he could find. Carried a case of oil in the back. Took about a qt to run into town & back about a 20mi round trip. Never had anyone tailgate the times I rode in that vehicle
smile.gif
While stationed at Camp Lejeune NC one of the guys in my barracks was always washing & waxing his Monte Carlo, car looked like new. He took off on a 96hr pass for Wisconsin & got about 100 mi before the engine stopped running. Had it towed back to base. When we took the oil drain plug out nothing came out. Poured kerosene in thinking it would loosen it up still nothing. Pulled the oil pan, had what looked like and had the consistancy of cold tar. When asked when he had last changed the oil he said he hadn't changed it since he owned it, at least 5 yrs if memory is correct. Amazing how someone will spend good money to buy a vehicle or like the second guy all the time cleaning it & totally neglect doing something like changing the oil that will make it last.

Somebody mentioned the GM oil level sensors. I have a 98 Grand Prix with oil level sensor. I decided to "spec" it out at the last oil change. The disappointing thing is it only took one quart to put out the oil level light. I was hoping for maybe 3 quarts, but only one.

Spec'd my Yamaha Virago that also worked off an oil level sensor. It took 2.5 out of a 4-quart capacity to turn it off - more useful.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I don't get people like that. If your too ignorant or lazy to get your oil changed whether it'd be yourself or a shop, then I dunno man!

I see it this way. A car gets you from point A to point B. It takes care of you doing that. So in return take care of your car and it will take care of you,,,op

We put a man on the moon?
shocked.gif

anyway,

Thats why service schedule manuals were created. And that's why quick lubes are so popular....

But really,

Most folks are just too busy to think about this type of stuff...

That's why the industry has created lifetime fill lubes, and now oil monitors....LOL

"Ignorant people do ignorant things that is just the way it is. Having the government protect people from themselves is stupid as every one loses."

What you are seeing is the generation of people that have been raised with liability proof products. Darwin would have killed many of these folks in the 50's.

Many today would not survive playgrounds with asphault, wooden swing seats, seesaws without seat belts, sliding boards 15 ft high (fall onto asphault), etc. I saw enough blood and gore on these playgrounds to last a lifetime. The folks that didn't survive on these playgrounds, don't need to change oil.

Al, LOL!

Can't tell you how many times my head hit the pavement due to no bicycle helmet or jammed things into electrical outlets.

Of course, my daughter will wear a helmet and all of our outlets are covered. Go figure.

Well Matt, I'm really not against safety and sayety enhancing things. But we have just gone too far, it seems to me. Litigation and the death of common sense is doing its best to wreck this country.

Here here! The concept that consequences should be expected to follow certain decisions has been lost.

One of my aunt's friends had a car(I don't know the details of the make/model), but she said that her friend hadn't changed the oil but had added oil throughout it's life and it lasted a little over 100,000 miles. I can only assume it consumed a significant amount of oil.

I love these threads.
Penny-wise and dollar-foolish is one way to put it.
After thinking about this subject a while ago, I came to a usefull conclusion.
The problems is that people don't realize that OIL is cooling and lubricating and it cannot do properly so when the level is low. They think of is the same as say, the fuel level...whereas the car runs the same and operates fine on a full tank, 1/2 tank or a 1/4 tank, no difference. See?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back