Never changed the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things work themselves out. The folks who own these vehicles will be paying big bucks for repairs and those of us who do the maintenance generally don't have those type of repair bills.

BMW, funny I once talked to a gal with a BMW that stated "Its a BMW!, I DO NOT need to change the oil"
grin.gif

I remember going to an 'owner's clinic' held at the service dept of the local honda dealer. Basically showing you what to check what the common services were etc. Overall not a bad thing.

Then this metrosexual guy - not the sort of man you could ever picture charging down the ramp of a landing craft - chimes in with "I bought a honda so that I didn't have to WORRY about this kind of stuff". ie checking the oil periodically.

I was a bit younger then, but these days I think I'd let that fellow citizen have a piece of my mind. Like "For the love of all that is holy, pull yourself together. Pick up that rag and follow me before I pour a quart of ATF on you".

gr8gatzby Member # 10309 posted February 01, 2006 03:52 PM i'd bet my bottom dollar that the two aforementioned people are city planner #1 and city planner #2 for my big little city of Charlotte, NC.
freak2.gif

Man, you got that right.
mad.gif
shocked.gif

Incredible! Some people live and learn...and some, well...they just live.

Ever notice that ignorance and stupidity like that seems to run in families? Or is it just passed down from father to son?

quote:

The folks who own these vehicles will be paying big bucks for repairs and those of us who do the maintenance generally don't have those type of repair bills.

Though I wish that was the case, what very often happens is that these folks catch on that something's not quite as they would like somewhat before total failure, and then those who prefer to buy used cars are the ones who get hosed, even if they are good about maintenance.
frown.gif

Years ago a guy came in with a very flat tire on his Ford wagon, parked at the air hose and started pumping air into it. My back was turned as I was taking care of other customers but I thought , and he had exploded it right off the rim. Now I know why these coin-operated compressors only put out 40-50 psi.

heck at least they should have a honda generator "low oil no start" type feature on em'. at least they'd have the safe amount of oil in them, even if it was dirty!
dunno.gif

"Though I wish that was the case, what very often happens is that these folks catch on that something's not quite as they would like somewhat before total failure, and then those who prefer to buy used cars are the ones who get hosed, even if they are good about maintenance."
-----------------------------------------------
Good point, and exactly why I do not buy used cars any more.

TRDUSA2002 said: "The first thing im going to teach my kids when i have them is proper car care."

Even though I don't expect her to ever need or want to change oil herself, my 4-year old daughter already knows what motor oil & oil filters are. She can point them out in the store.

She has this "Little Tikes" car at home that we pretend to change the oil in. She thinks it's neat.

I've got another child on the way, due in August. If it's a boy, he'll definitely be taught all about vehicle maintenance. I might even get him a Mobil 1 bib.
smile.gif

I knew a guy who bought a car that had gone 13 years without an oil change. The previous owner knew he was supposed to change it, just didn't feel like it.

A family member had a '86 Nissan Cherry 1.5. I helped tuning it up a little before it was sold (oil, filters, brakes, etc). When I looked at the service history, brake fluid and oil/filter hadn't been changed in 6 years. Oil was very thick when I changed it. The car had only been driven 15,000 miles over those years and oil was a synthetic blend. The brake fluid was like milk. One stop from 55 mph and the brakes faded..

quote:

Was at my buddies garage this morning and he had a (saturn suv) with a siezed motor. Motor had just over 66,000 mile on and never had an oil change, still had original oil filter on, they just kept adding oil when needed. Over the week end a full size van came in with a siezed engine (new engine 11,000 miles ago) guy had not changed the oil and had run it dry. Oil filter still had installation date written on it,Where doo these people come from? with all the advertising out there on getting your oil changed how in **** can you not do it.

someone call CPS (car protective services)!
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back