Network switch in attic

Yes, DC should work (was one of the options listed by Cisco).

My concern is that you are powering a switch over PoE at a pretty good distance, which is then in turn trying to power multiple AP's over PoE, that's a huge draw when you consider you are doing it over 23 or even 24 gauge wire.

If that switch itself was powered directly (not over PoE) I wouldn't have the same level of concern, but this is a pretty taxing setup.

Startech makes some industrial grade power injectors that are designed to be DC-fed:

View attachment 60306

One of those for each AP fed from a solid DC feed and you'll eliminate the load on that switch.

Can this go in an outdoor enclosure? That is part of the issue.

I understand what people are saying but Unifi make a switch that can be POE powered. So they should assume it might be 100m from the POE injector and that access points might be 100m from the POE powered switch.

So as long as stay within the switch specs I should be OK?

The passive system only uses 4 of the 8 wires in the cable compared to bt that uses all 8. You have to pull out all the stops to get 50 watts over 100 meters.

I understand what people are saying but Unifi make a switch that can be POE powered. So they should assume it might be 100m from the POE injector and that access points might be 100m from the POE powered switch.

So as long as stay within the switch specs I should be OK?

Cisco makes passive switches that can be PoE powered too, that doesn't mean it's wise to hang 4 AP's off of it.

I understand it's a pain the rear, but you really are inviting failure with this configuration, it's a HUGE demand for some very small conductors over a very long distance.

Cisco makes passive switches that can be PoE powered too, that doesn't mean it's wise to hang 4 AP's off of it.

I understand it's a pain the rear, but you really are inviting failure with this configuration, it's a HUGE demand for some very small conductors over a very long distance.
I understand. Unfortunately my hardware budget is about $1000/year. Does not go very far if I have to buy a 1000' spool of CAT6 outdoor cable or several hundred feet of fiber. One or two APs need replacing a year. Outdoor weather and winter not easy on the hardware that is outdoors.

I understand. Unfortunately my hardware budget is about $1000/year. Does not go very far if I have to buy a 1000' spool of CAT6 outdoor cable or several hundred feet of fiber. One or two APs need replacing a year. Outdoor weather and winter not easy on the hardware that is outdoors.

I'd look for the most cost effective way to directly power that switch as a start. If you want to upgrade wiring, that can probably hold off for now after you remove that massive PoE load from it.

Do you only have space for 1 switch? If you can split out into multiple switch you may not need to do that much wiring and in the attic as well.

Do you only have space for 1 switch? If you can split out into multiple switch you may not need to do that much wiring and in the attic as well.
I assume you are talking about a switch on a pole? Not in the attic. I could put more switches outdoors but each one would require another 300' of CAT6 outdoor cable to be strung.

It's really about more outdoor cable runs or outdoor switches.

The main issue is where I can pull power from. That is limited.

I have give all these suggestions thought but have had my hands full dealing with storm damage. I need to get the Unifi surge protectors installed. And a ground rod and some #10 wire back to the Unifi surge protectors.

The success of the WIFI has caused its own problems. People have discontinued their own cable broadband and now rely on the church camps WIFI. Some for entertainment so to work remote. So pressure is on to have it reliable.

So my latest idea is have access point on pole 1&3 on one cable into a switch and similar pole 2&4 on another cable into a different switch. The WIFI reaches far enough that if the closest pole is not working, then the next pole should be.

How did we get from the switch in the attic discussion to the how far can I send power over PoE?

At any rate, some of the TrendNet switches are rated up to 75C - I think that ought to be pretty survivable in an attic in Upstate NY.
Industrial Ethernet Switches - TRENDnet

This one:
6-Port Hardened Industrial Gigabit PoE++ DIN-Rail Switch - TRENDnet TI-UPG62
Is PoE++ with 240W power budget and operating range -40C to +75C (167F)
Should easily power 4 APs.
An switch in attic allows me to not count about 50 feet of indoor wiring going to basement. If for example I have 300 feet of cable outdoors, I will be over the spec with an additional 50 feet of indoor cable going from attic to basement. Switch in basement saves that 50 feet.

The success of the WIFI has caused its own problems. People have discontinued their own cable broadband and now rely on the church camps WIFI. Some for entertainment so to work remote. So pressure is on to have it reliable.

???????

Wow.

Are these parties actually associated with the church camp?

???????

Wow.

Are these parties actually associated with the church camp?
There are about 40 summer cottages in the church camp (I own one) along with a church, dining hall, pool and about 8 cabins for campers. Some people come for a few weeks around meeting week in August and some stay for the summer. People have phones, watches, Roku, laptops. Some work remotely. Church camps were more common 100 years ago but there are still many around.

Getting your own broadband is expensive for only 3 months as there is a $100 install fee each year.

They do rent the cabins and dining hall to some Christian organizations that run a 4 week camp for young campers. And the church camp runs its own one week camp for campers.

Ubiquiti has a little 8 port tough switch, they work fine in high temp environments.

I use one in a NEMA box at a work site I support, on a pole for a point to point network connection in South Texas. It's been alive for about six years now.

Ubiquiti has a little 8 port tough switch, they work fine in high temp environments.

I use one in a NEMA box at a work site I support, on a pole for a point to point network connection in South Texas. It's been alive for about six years now.

This one says it only does passive POE?

I ended up putting a Unifi 8 port 150 watt in the attic. Tired of dealing with the issues in the patch panels that someone before be installed. To prevent any lightning surge cascade beyond this switch, I connected it to the aggregate switch using fiber optic cable.

Back