Neighbours Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the neighbors kid comes over with his computer and asks if I can fix it for him.
smirk2.gif

He says it won't start up. So I told him sure I would have a look after finishing my dinner.
grin2.gif

I have dinner, hook it up and find that it boots to the desktop, but there is only a mouse cursor in the middle of a black screen and it just sits there. I'm thinkin' it probably needs a F&RS.

I reboot in Safe-Mode (XP), and set it to run CHKDSK on the next boot. It does and finds all kinds of problems which it fixes and then reboots.

It then boots fine into window! YAY!
grin2.gif

So I figured while I'm in windows I will check to see the status of the updates, virus scanner etc. as a good neighbour and because I know that if something happens in future I will have to fix it for them again...
smirk2.gif

I find the computer running SP1, the Norton Internet Security with an expired license from 8 months ago. No spyware scanner and every web toolbar from here to Idaho.
shocked2.gif

So I clean it all up, do the SP3 update and security updates, disinfect the drive from the 20+ Trojans, clean up all 108 pieces of spyware and install AVG with a license code for 2 years (don't ask).

Then I defragged the hard drive which took all night!
shocked2.gif

I also set the task scheduler to do a spyware/virus scan, and defrag once a week as well as install windows updates.

I take it back over to their house and set it up. I get no thank you from the kid
mad.gif
, but do from the parents. Nice people who gave my dad their old Ford Windstar
thumbsup2.gif

Then I get a call half-hour later telling me that the microphone doesn't work with his game. So I try walking him through over the phone how to set the volume levels etc. This didn't work so I go over and find that his Microphone is broken and he tells his parents that I somehow broke it!
shocked2.gif
mad.gif

I explain that I only had access to the computer because they brang it over and there is nothing wrong with the computer, it's the headset that is the problem. The kid thinks otherwise and throws a hissy fit and goes upstairs. His parents thank me, don't offer to pay for the service or the whole day I spent on the computer but offer me "a beer". W-T-F?
mad.gif

Last time I fix anything for that kid... Parents no problem, but the kid can go $!@#$@#$!#$!@#$!$
mad.gif

Gratitude eh?
smirk2.gif

The neighbours across the street, the ones to the right of us who have little money always appreciate it and always thank me a thousand times and usually I get some sort of baked goods out of it. (not why I do it, but it sure is nice).

These guys on the left are really nice people who are feeling the pinch of the economy and recent job-layoffs etc. so I can see why I was offered a beer. (again not why I do it).

But the kid was so ungreatful and then accuses me of breaking his headset microphone when I didn't even have it while fixing the computer?
mad.gif

I will be telling him nicely to pound sand in the future, or I will keep his computer for a really long time and make excuses before fixing it. (Parents use it too)

Gotta love this new generation...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Good guy's never win,you've heard of it no?
I have... I was just hoping it wasn't true... Guess it is.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Next time mess with his mind and change his password.
grin2.gif

LOL.gif
That's a fabulous idea!

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I will be telling him nicely to pound sand in the future, or I will keep his computer for a really long time and make excuses before fixing it. (Parents use it too)

Stevie, who are you trying to kid? Those of us on the board as well as your neighbors pretty much have your number, you're not going to do that, you're much too nice for that. I'm betting you'll fix it again for them, especially since the parents use it too. The kid's parents realize that you didn't break their kid's headset, some people just don't know how to handle conflict, and were probably embarrassed by their kid's reaction.

Anyway, I'm betting you'll help them again, you know I'm right
grin2.gif

I will help them again, but I won't make it a priority. Plus if it ever becomes the kids sole computer I will tell 'em to pound sand nicely.

I'm a nice guy and felt bad for their financial situation. The parents have always been great to our family, including giving my dad their old van as my dads current vans body is just about toast.

Then they both loose their jobs and have 2 kids in school.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: sunfire
no good deed goes unpunished

Aint that the truth.

Last time I loaned a friend some money [500 bucks] he got [censored] at me for asking for it back 2 months later...I haven't a clue why he thought it was a gift...We don't talk anymore and I don't loan anybody any money anymore.

I had a roomate for a short time when I first came to Miami who co-signed for a car [10K bucks]for his best friend..Guess who got stuck making the payments...He eventually took him to court and got his money back.

How old is this 'kid'?
If he's teenager he should know better and learn some manners.
The majority of todays 'youth' are spoiled and unappreciative and its the fault of their parents IMO.
Dicipline and character are now foreign concepts. It's no wonder we're in the shape we're in.

Originally Posted By: pbm
How old is this 'kid'?
If he's teenager he should know better and learn some manners.
The majority of todays 'youth' are spoiled and unappreciative and its the fault of their parents IMO.
Dicipline and character are now foreign concepts. It's no wonder we're in the shape we're in.
He is 12 and has an older brother who is 17. (Who has some manners, but forgets to return tools that he borrows from my dad from time to time.)

While the parents are to blame, they work 2 jobs each (or did) just to get by.

I think it has to do with society today... The folks are so busy that they just give in to their kids or they just don't have the time. We need to go back to the 1 parent staying at home and the one working. This day-care 2 parents working stuff doesn't work.

I'm not sayin' the mom needs to stay at home, but I think one parent should... Makes a real difference I think.

My mom stayed home while my dad worked while we were growing up and I see the differences in me/my siblings compared to my most of my friends who had both parents working and they ended up in some kinds of trouble with the law or don't seem to have the same manners/sense I do. (not bragging)

smirk2.gif
So sad...

A 12-year-old is going to reflect the way he was raised in a situation like this, so the parents are absolutely the ones to blame. I would have asked them "What's with your son's lack of manners?"

Nah.. Not one to start fights with anyone... Not worth it, then I have to worry about dings/scratches that mysteriously show up on my vehicles and other "Bad" stuff.

RANT ON>>>>
I'm with you. I don't understand todays kids. I never did anything like that when I was young, and I haven't brought my kids up that way. While they don't always do it at home, when they are dealing with other people, it's "yes ma'am (or sir)", a quiet, yet grateful attitude and a lot of "thank you's". I see where people get some of their wacky ideas. I've been asked a million times "can I borrow XXX". Say it's a couple of Tylenol. I know I'm not getting the Tylenol back, they know it, but the word "borrow" is still used. It has become to mean something else than it's taken definition. How many times have you said "thank you", and the reply back was "no problem" . When did "no problem" become a substitute for "you're welcome"? No starts the sentence with a negative note, and problem... well who the heck needs more problems? I don't get it. It IS rampant in society today and everyone needs to do a better job of showing courtesy and gratitude. I think g-man has a point and it is a fair question. That may be all it takes for the parents to start a change with the child. And you will help again... whatever you put out there comes back. Some say triple fold, I think you get back what you put out, good or bad. Karma is a witch.. RANT OFF>>>

Since I started charging $50/hr to look at people's computers, or $20 up front at a minimum to drive people around, there's been a huge dropoff in the number of times the local deadbea....er cheapsk....er poor people come knocking.

Not to say that one in paticular keeps trying......

Last edited:
All of those things wrong with that computer merely confirms that that PEBKAC is the cause, and nothing will stop the brat from screwing it up again...it's only a matter of time. Your good efforts will not have been wasted, however if-when the time comes-you tell the nogoodnik to pound sand OR make him (not the parents) pay in advance to have you fix it again. I think about $150 sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back