Negative Battery Post Corrosion

Noticed some corrosion on negative post. Can I just disconnect the negative cable and clean the post and cable? Will preset radio stations need to be reset?

Most likely you will need to reset radio stations and some other settings(possibly).
However, vehicles such as certain GM will hold stations. Check both posts really well while your at it and as long as you’re disconnecting one, do the other.
Also apply something on the posts & terminals. Lot of different opinions on what is best to apply.
If you have removal caps, check the acid level.

Some folks use regular grease.
Others use petroleum jelly/Vaseline.
I use dielectric grease.
And others use an actual battery spray or coating.

After you get them clean use some protectant.

That's the stuff I use, though the exact product I have comes from East Penn. Colors the posts/terminals red, always seems to work well. I've never had a corrosion issue on terminals I've sprayed it on.

Most late model vehicles have some non-volatile memory that will hold settings, presets, etc. Anything 5-10 years old is a gamble, older than that and you're probably going to have to set everything back up.

I dont have corrosion issues unless I use exide.
:ROFLMAO:
Truth. Just cleaned my 96' Cherokee's battery. Although it's sat for months on a trickle charger.

I did put some $0.97 terminal acid rings underneath this time though.

11F4BA3C-C478-43E3-8668-AEBC2C165A87.jpeg
B3B84FF9-CF30-4110-BFA0-F288D9FF8115.jpeg

Most likely you will need to reset radio stations and some other settings(possibly).
However, vehicles such as certain GM will hold stations. Check both posts really well while your at it and as long as you’re disconnecting one, do the other.
Also apply something on the posts & terminals. Lot of different opinions on what is best to apply.
If you have removal caps, check the acid level.

Some folks use regular grease.
Others use petroleum jelly/Vaseline.
I use dielectric grease.
And others use an actual battery spray or coating.

I use dielectric grease too.

And a East Penn battery... No problem with corrosion between using those two.

My mom has a 2014 Fusion and I was a bad son and didn't notice this right away. It was right about the 5 year mark of her ownership back in 2019. Luckily the negative post can be replaced so I did that and the battery. The battery wasn't necessarily bad, but it had an occasional slow crank and I didn't want a phone call. Note in the picture I had already removed the nut that held the cable to the terminal. I check it more now and there isn't and science experiment going on.

IMG_2196.jpg

Neg(-) post/terminal corrosion means under charging.
Pos(+) post terminal corrosion means over charging.

Keeping a battery maintainer/tender on the battery will help to reduce or even eliminate sulphate buildup on posts & terminals.

Keeping a battery maintainer/tender on the battery will help to reduce or even eliminate sulphate buildup on posts & terminals.
What's odd is my Jeep's did it on the negative terminal, while on a Noco Genius 1A charger for 4 months...

What's odd is my Jeep's did it on the negative terminal, while on a Noco Genius 1A charger for 4 months...
Unfortunately IDK! 🤷‍♂️

Strangely about Ohhhh 4 yrs ago, the positive terminal on my OE battery was doing this in my 2015 Altima(in signature) prior to keeping the battery on a maintainer. I'm thinking that the battery was asking for more from the alternator regularly? :unsure:

So, I took off both (+/-) and cleaned'em up, coated everything with dielectric grease, topped up the battery w/DI (has removal caps) and have had no corrosion since...This is still the OE battery which was installed in the car in OCT 2014...as is the cars build date.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Different Scenario:
When I bought this current battery for my 1980 Firebird FORMULA back in ~2000ish(wish I could find my receipt), I also bought and put on a Schumacher Maintainer and mounted it right on top of the battery. Prior, I was replacing the battery faithfully, every 5 yrs.
I keep the maintainer plugged in all the time when not driving the car, and keep-up the battery cells/acid. These terminals/posts have no corrosion. EVER! :love:

Last edited:

You want to explain the logic of that statement? ............... I am sorry but my dunce cap is on again and probably too tight making me unable to reason why:unsure:

If it's leaking it's a POS battery or has been abused. Most covers are just shark bite type retention with orings (if lucky) anymore. Use to be the cover and post were welded together.

Johnson Controls batteries have been horrible for leaking over the last few years.

BG has a pad that has worked exceptionally well for me in preventing corrosion issues. Of course being a BG product they come with a bottle of cleaning solution and it costs about $30. These look to be made of the same if not a similar material, they’re also percoated like the BG pads. NOCO NCP2 MC303 Oil-Based Battery Terminal Protectors, Anti-Corrosion Washers, And Battery Corrosion Pads (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKUTR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_DGB56J4DQ52ZYYEZ9BWZ

Noticed some corrosion on negative post. Can I just disconnect the negative cable and clean the post and cable? Will preset radio stations need to be reset?
Plug a memory saver into the 12V lighter socket/power outlet before disconnecting the battery. This works only of the oulet does not run on switched power. Otherwise use a battery saver that plugs into the OBD port.

Back