Need to replace a tire

Get the tread depth and find a used tire of that same make/model with the same tread you measured from the old tire. If all four tires have the same amount of tread left on them, put the new tire where the flat is now. Ebay is a good place to get used tires, and someone on here recently went that route and got the tire the next day.

What kind of tires do you have on it now? How much tread? What is the tire size? :unsure:
I don't buy used tires.

Waste of money and unnecessary. If only one tire is needed, just replace that one. Axles don't need matching tires as long as they are the same size. I'm running 2 of these on one side of the car,

View attachment 84328

and 2 of these on the other,

View attachment 84329

Can't tell anything from behind the wheel.
Then perhaps you shouldn't be behind the wheel. This has got to be one of the most asinine setups I've seen. Why are you doing this? What benefit do you achieve?

That's a valid point except that I intend to take one of the used tires and ultimately use it for a full-size spare, so if it has a little extra tread on it, so much the better.
On an 11 Camry? I tried to fit a full size spare into mine but it did not fit. I like the idea of rotating a good tire to a spare once in a while, but not sure on this one.

Just so everyone understands:

There is no regulation that requires tire manufacturers to produce tires that match the size indicated on the sidewall. In other words, different tire manufacturers can produce tires of different diameters even if the size is the same. Further, even within a given tire manufacturer, tire diameters can be quite different. (Don't ask how I know.)

And as I was quoted above, vehicles tend to rotate around odd tires in emergency situations - and the more odd the tire is, the more this tendency. The problem here is that you won't know until you are in the situation - and then it is too late! You can't test for this unless you destroy that set of tires.

So the question is, how big of a risk are you willing to take?

There is no regulation that requires tire manufacturers to produce tires that match the size indicated on the sidewall. In other words, different tire manufacturers can produce tires of different diameters even if the size is the same. Further, even within a given tire manufacturer, tire diameters can be quite different. (Don't ask how I know.)

And as I was quoted above, vehicles tend to rotate around odd tires in emergency situations - and the more odd the tire is, the more this tendency. The problem here is that you won't know until you are in the situation - and then it is too late! You can't test for this unless you destroy that set of tires.

As my “handle” might indicate - I have bought many AT’s in 265/275/285 range - and there are significant dimensional spreads in these tires.
Also, in my mind - all the advanced electronic safety systems work best with a matched set.
And yes - that means I will carry a matched size spare - fake tires to the curb …

Last edited:
I don't think that tire has enough wear to matter at 7500 miles if suspension and everything is right. It really won' matter where you put it unless you never rotate your tires because it will eventually get moved to all ends of the car anyway? I never understood rotating the spare? If you do rotate the spare then this thread is for nothing because you will always have one tire that has less miles on it?

HAHA. You posted the question but don't like the answers. That's rich.
I'm on the same page as Shel_B and Capriracer. I try if at all possible to keep the same all around. I've experienced the different treads etc but with the snow tires and all season. For my families safety I now keep it matched. I have used take off almost brand new tires.

Your "waste of money" is his and others piece of mind. Great country to spend ones own income on what they like between needs, wants, habits, happiness. Do you ever buy coffee from Starbucks, 7-11, Dunkin'? Why not make it at home and not waste that money. Bottle water/tap water etc. list is endless. Why fill up your tank before storms when you have enough to get to work and back and can stop daily. That extra weight from the 10+ gallons takes away fuel economy.

I have sold my used tires that have plenty of tread (for others) and still a decent date code. I have donated some to used tire places to help those that maybe can't afford to get new all 4 matching. I gave a set of 4 that I was going to sell to a co-worker with sidewall blowout (on 10+ year old tires) that was short of cash.

He didn't ask your thoughts on if he should buy matching 2 if 1 not available. He just said what his plan was and that involved a full size spare which he was planning anyway. You decided it was a waste of his money, he asked what you benefit you get by using mixed treads on different sides, you didn't like the questions/answers....That's rich.

OK That's my rant for now.

I'm on the same page as Shel_B and Capriracer. I try if at all possible to keep the same all around. I've experienced the different treads etc but with the snow tires and all season. For my families safety I now keep it matched.

Your "waste of money" is his and others piece of mind.

OK That's my rant for now.
On that page too.

Here's something that I'm looking at:

I think I'd just go to a craft store and buy foam and add it to your existing panel. Unless the existing panel is damaged, you could likely hot glue the foam to the board to fit.

But that's just me. I couldn't see spending close to $80 with tax for something I could adapt with stuff I likely already have in the house.

The hold down bolt is probably a good call, but $80 for cardboard and taller foam, nope!

Realistically it won't matter on a Camry DD. If you measure the tread depth of tires on most vehicles they are all over the place. Heck, lots of vehicles driving around with different brands of tires with no handling issues.
I knew a guy who always bought used tires. A while back I was looking at his tires and it was amazing. All four were the exact same size, which is good, but every one was a different brand. :oops:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can a tire be marked 275/50-17 and it is actually a tire that fits a 20" wheel?

Perhaps slight variations of sidewall height perhaps, but even then if a tire is 275mm wide with a 50% aspect ratio, the sidewall would be 137.5mm +/- a few mm. Just checked out your web page. You know tires. Great resource. I may hit you up with some questions in the future. Thanks.

Last edited:
I had that happen to my vehicle with AWD. The owners manual basically says that all 4 tires have to have the same exact tread on them. If not the vehicle will explode and the occupants will not survive.

My trusted tire shop guy suggested just putting on a replacement tire when that happened. That was a long time ago, that set of tires has been replaced with a new set. No explosions, though it is nearly a guarantee that a poster will respond that the explosion is sure to come soon.

Then perhaps you shouldn't be behind the wheel. This has got to be one of the most asinine setups I've seen. Why are you doing this? What benefit do you achieve?

It was ridiculous on so many levels.

It was ridiculous on so many levels.
Yet, it worked out perfectly.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can a tire be marked 275/50-17 and it is actually a tire that fits a 20" wheel?

Perhaps slight variations of sidewall height perhaps, but even then if a tire is 275mm wide with a 50% aspect ratio, the sidewall would be 137.5mm +/- a few mm. Just checked out your web page. You know tires. Great resource. I may hit you up with some questions in the future. Thanks.

Ya' see, a tire that is labeled as a 275/50R17 isn't required to be 275mm wide. It could be 278mm wide or 273mm wide or the aspect ratio could be 48 or 52 - or worse! And, yes, it is even possible for a 17" tire to fit a 20" wheel - but it wouldn't be long before someone figured out that it would NOT fit a 17" wheel - and the fallout would be that no one would buy tires from those guys ever again. But there is no regulation requiring this.

It is known that a tire manufacturers will build a tire a little small to fit a particular vehicle. I know Michelin did that for a particular Porsche. Tires built to the nominal dimensions would rub on that vehicle.

I know of one tire manufacturer who builds 4 different sizes out of the same mold - for example 275/50R17, 275/55R17, 265/55R17 265/50R17 (exact sizing just for illustration purposes) - and changes a plate in the mold with the size on it. That way it minimizes the changes needed to produce tires.

But to the point in this thread, it is known that some tire manufacturers tend to build tires a bit small to save material. Others tend to build tires to the nominal dimensions. So tire diameters aren't nearly as exact as one might think - and that could lead to issues with the drivetrain.

Back