Need to filter better than 25 microns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
We have a situation at work that needs help from this forum. We test parts using filtered transmission fluid. The filter we presently use is an inline Magnefine with 3/8-inch inlet and outlet hose connections. The filter is good for 25 microns. These particles are too big for our test. We need to find some way to filter better, like around 5 to 10 microns. The flow is low pressure. Is there something off-the-shelf that we can use? We're exploring the possibility of using a hydraulic filter setup that use replacable cartridges from McMaster-Carr and cobble up the fittings. It's just that the Magnefine filters are so convenient to use.

Fram Ultras filter 99.5% efficient at 20 microns and 80 % @5 microns, can you use a spin on filter like that? Otherwise Amsoil has bypass filters if the flow is low enough which filter much smaller particles. Also donaldson and fleet guard make some high efficiency filters. (Donaldson makes the Fram Ultra media and many others)

You can get a Donaldson P563288 Head. It has 1/2 NPT ports, 15psi bypass, and 2 1/8 NPT gauge ports on the upstream side. As you can guess, this will have way more flow than you need, but this is the smallest hydraulic setup they have.
If you google that number, I found several places that sell this head. I found it at one place for about $26.
You have a couple filter choices.
You can get a P565061. Cellulose media. Beta 2 (50%) of 5um.
I found it on amazon for about $10.
OR you can move up to a P560693 filter. Synthetic media, with a beta 1000(99.9%) of 9um. 5.35" long. $25. Should last a really long time, too.
There is also a P564357, which has the same filtration rating in a 7.87" long filter. $35
If you need even better, P564967 offers a beta 1000 of 5um. 5.35" long. $30

Last edited:
I agree the Donaldson setup is a great way to go. The only thing I would change is to get a head without the bypass. Your goal is filtration and there should be less concern with flow.

Originally Posted By: Fred_Garvin
I agree the Donaldson setup is a great way to go. The only thing I would change is to get a head without the bypass. Your goal is filtration and there should be less concern with flow.

P561136. Has 3/4NPT ports. I found it at a couple places for around $15.

Kestas,

I imagine all of the oil filter mfg. make mounting plates with NPT female fittings that you can add any brass hose fittings appropriate to your needs.

Here's Wix/NAPA 6 different base plates to meet your needs. Just choose one of their 5 or 10 micron hydraulic filters and you are good to go: http://www.wixfilters.com/Speciality/Conversion.aspx

Look at the bottom of the linked page. NAPA can usually get parts the same day from their local supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back