Need tires, OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 f150 fx4 w/ 275 55 20 tires that I will be replacing in the very near future. When I got the truck new I looked at tire prices just to see what a 20" tire costs. Then it was maybe around 150-160 ish each. Now that I actually need to replace them it seems like the cost has doubled. Looks like the going rate for the tires I'm looking at will be 250-280 ish. My question is will this be a temporary increase or this is the new norm for her on out? With alignment, install, manditory tpms, tax, road hazard and the extra pad pad pad its probably going to be close to 1500.00 bucks, sheesh!

I hear ya. When I picked up my Lucerne in 2018 I hated the Tiger Paws it came with so I priced some CS5's, they were around $89, now it's closer to $130.

There isn’t much of a savings to install yourself. The local Discount Tire charges $25/tire and includes lifetime rebalance and prorated road hazard.
I have to wonder when that price will go up, just like everything else.

Equipment for mounting tires can be cheap, at least from HF. The real cost is in balancing. I find it hard to believe that most would break even on savings.

Tire replacement costs is something I try to look at when car shopping. Nothing exotic for me.

I have a 2018 f150 fx4 w/ 275 55 20 tires that I will be replacing in the very near future. When I got the truck new I looked at tire prices just to see what a 20" tire costs. Then it was maybe around 150-160 ish each. Now that I actually need to replace them it seems like the cost has doubled. Looks like the going rate for the tires I'm looking at will be 250-280 ish. My question is will this be a temporary increase or this is the new norm for her on out? With alignment, install, manditory tpms, tax, road hazard and the extra pad pad pad its probably going to be close to 1500.00 bucks, sheesh!
Same size tire on my Z71. I went against my better judgment and got Goodyear Wrangler just like it came from the factory. So far after 20k miles they are quite and smooth. Saying that to say that Goodyear had a really nice sale and rebate that beat most anything Discount Tire sold….at least mainstream non-foreign manufacturers.

I assume an FX4 isn't used as a work truck, so I don't feel too sorry saying, you gotta a pay to play. With that said, I see Corsa tires for $120 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/corsa-highway-terrain-plus/p/42519

In this generation of truck, FX4 is not a trim level - its an option package available on all trim levels except the Limited (on 2018's anyways).

We have work speced XL trucks with the FX4 package - it nets an E-locker and some additional skid plates we find useful.

That being said, we aren't getting work trucks with 20's!

It'll eventually come down, if not before then when everything just collapses. :LOL: 🇺🇲

I paid nearly double from 1 1/2 years ago for my $65 tires on my Taurus a few months ago.

There isn’t much of a savings to install yourself. The local Discount Tire charges $25/tire and includes lifetime rebalance and prorated road hazard.

Yeah 10-4 on that but it seems like every year I buy tires for something. Trailers, boat trailer, camper etc.. Just easier to ship tires to my home and not fight with tire stores and their nonsense padding.

Bought the same size tires for the Tundra at Costco. Price included all the mounting and balancing.

Well worth the membership.
My local Costcos are incapable of balancing tires. I think it has something to do with the adapters used on their Coats balancers; the system isn't exactly idiot-proof (compared to Hunter's).

I have to wonder when that price will go up, just like everything else.

Equipment for mounting tires can be cheap, at least from HF. The real cost is in balancing. I find it hard to believe that most would break even on savings.

Tire replacement costs is something I try to look at when car shopping. Nothing exotic for me.

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've heard of shops quoting $50/ea for mounting/balancing tires not purchased from them.

I did experience a tire shop not wanting to install a set of carry-ins I mail ordered and this was years ago. "We don't do that". The multi bay shop was empty with the techs standing around.

I'm lucky to have a few shops nearby that will do carry-ins no problem. $25/each though. I'll gladly pay it.

I'm lucky to have a few shops nearby that will do carry-ins no problem. $25/each though. I'll gladly pay it.
Called my "new" garage that I've been using and they were ok with carry-ins. Said $90 to do all 4. I'll probably do that and an alignment, give them my business.

www.Walmart.com
There is a Cooper Tire ($180.00) and the General STX (same as HTS@ $167.00) well under $200.00-at least near my IP address. I just bought 4 ST trailer tires this way and it was painless.

This is the size my Silverado uses as well.

I see Starfire Solarus AP's (by Cooper tire) in this size for $137.12. through Wally online.

I have these in 265/70/17 on my 2019 Ram 1500 and love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back