Need tire opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I had an earlier post asking opinions on if I should change my tires considering the conditions and I decided that I do need to replace my rubber. I am tight on cash and am looking for a cheaper tire that is still a decent quality. I also shopped around and my local walmart offers the best deals. I have narrowed my choices down to Douglas all seasons (dirt cheap) Kelly Edge A/S, Goodyear Viva 3 (I know people aren't huge Goodyear fans but these tires look decent) and the Yokohama Avid Touring. I was hoping for people's opinions on these tires as I really can't afford much more than these choices. Thanks in advance! This is for my AWD Chevy Equinox.

I'd skip: Douglas all seasons (dirt cheap) Kelly Edge A/S, Goodyear Viva 3

Yoko's are decent tires but IMHO tend to have below average winter traction.

In your likely size range a decent tire for money is General ALTIMAX RT43 which Walmart does carry or can order. My sister like these on her RAV4 and loves them and the price.

I'd avoid the Wal-Mart only tires (Douglas and Viva 3). Simply unknown as to how they're built, to meet the price point that Wal-Mart demands.

The Avid Touring is long in the tooth... really long. It seems like it has been out there forever, and appears to be in phase out right now, since a newer version has been released. Better choices than what's probably a 10 year old design. Plus, it didn't do very well in TireRack testing.

The Kelly Edge tire is made by Goodyear, and is also sold by Goodyear dealers. It's a relatively new design, released just last year.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/401253/goodyear-reveals-two-new-kelly-edge-tires

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/kelly-edge-as

I'd give serious consideration to the Kelly Edge.

would be nice to know the vehicle you are putting it on.. not all tires are made in all sizes.

Originally Posted By: Rand
would be nice to know the vehicle you are putting it on.. not all tires are made in all sizes.

It is nice because I mentioned it in my original posting lol. It is my AWD Chevy Equinox, also in my signature.

I am kinda leaning towards the Kelly's myself. The tread pattern looks pretty nice and they aren't the cheapest tire option.

Wife bought a set of conti contact extreme, original asymmetric tread pattern for about $100 per tire off DTD eBay store late last year. Not the longest lasting tire, about 40-50k with awd, but it is solid performer. With rebate at time I think it was about $400 total after mounting.

The Goodyear Wal-Mart tires sold exclusively at Wal-Mart are still safe tires. They probably have older generation compounds and construction reflecting the savings. Like lacking on silica content.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

It is nice because I mentioned it in my original posting lol. It is my AWD Chevy Equinox, also in my signature.

I am kinda leaning towards the Kelly's myself. The tread pattern looks pretty nice and they aren't the cheapest tire option.

Whoops I plead posting before first cup of coffee. Somehow I missed the last line.

Still dont know if they are 16" or 17" wheels.
all 3 of these should be available in both sizes.

General altimax arctic rt43 are a well liked value option.

other options.
continential truecontact
firestone destination le2

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Whoops I plead posting before first cup of coffee. Somehow I missed the last line.

Still dont know if they are 16" or 17" wheels.
all 3 of these should be available in both sizes.

General altimax arctic rt43 are a well liked value option.

other options.
continential truecontact
firestone destination le2

haha, thanks! They are 235/65/16s for my Equinox.

I have heard good things about the generals but I need to price them out. I know tirerack loves them. The other two options I need to look into as well. Good ideas.

The Destination LE2 doesn't (unfortunately) have a lot of full depth sipes in the tread.

The end result is when you get to the last 1/3rd of tread, you're not left with a whole lot of anything.

s-l1600_zpsxdwwcjpr.jpg

Yoko Avids from discounttiredirect.com, and look into rebates if you use their credit card.

WM seems to be a dumping ground for surplus mainline tires-- GY Integrities last year. And of course the regular WM lineup like those Douglas Tourings.

If you have a week to think, keep your eye on sears. Search by your size. A cookie will follow your computer and nag you to buy. (The sales change daily.) When you buy, carry them out, and have them mounted at WM or your corner garage. (Sears has exorbitant fees.) Might have a chance at some Michelins.

For only a few dollars more per tire, you can get the Dunlop Signature II.

But out of the three you mentioned in the OP, my choice would b e Kelly.

General Altimax RT43's

They're $89 each on Tire Rack.

Discount tire doesn't show them on their website, but if you go into the store they can easily order them for you. That's what I did for my car in September.

Many tire threads on here gravitate to someone's favorite tire or brand versus what will work on your Equinox. If there's an Equinox forum on the web ( as I'm sure there is ), I might check to see if they have opinions on tires that might reflect on your listed options and potentially others that would be worth considering.

I have used the Yokohamas and been very pleased with them, other than they were not that great in snow.

Get Discount tire to beat WM's price.

Viva 3 is a replica of Assurance All Season, out of all your options, this tire will have the best snow traction. My tech has Kelly Edges on his Camry and lives in the boonies, said they did fine in the recent snow/ice we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back