Need Synthetic Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
And meet zero specifications and carry zero approvals. What a load, am I supposed to substitute their website fluff for an approval?

I'm so sick of these worthless companies that make claims unsupported by manufacturer certs and approvals. Put up or shut up.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Actually you are wrong. Many boutiques contain only IV/V and no I,II,III. Here is one of them:

MPT Thirty-K Full Synthetic High Performance Motor Oils are all comprised of 100% synthetic ester and polyalphaolefin basestocks with no highly refined petroleum (Group I, II or III) or viscosity modifiers. MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils are fortified with the finest additives available including extra zinc and phosphorous for anti-wear, as well as special friction modifiers such as molybdenum to ensure longer engine life, reduced heat and friction, and better fuel economy.

Most motor oil companies are reluctant to reveal the composition of their motor oils. We show the superior quality of MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils clearly in the technical data below. For example, please note the higher levels of zinc, phosphorous and molybdenum in our MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. These properties provide superior engine protection while helping to reduce heat, friction and wear. Additionally, The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) tests below were conducted by an independent laboratory and exhibit the high Total Base Number (TBN) for MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. The TBN indicates the oil or lubricants ability to suspend contaminants that can cause wear and reduce the corrosive effects of acids. MPT's high TBN combined with the naturally cleansing poly olester basestocks and proprietary additives allow MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils to be used for extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles.

Most synthetic motor oils evaporate and thin under high heat and high shear conditions. This is where the superior basestocks of MPT Thirty-K, MPT Motorcycle and MPT Racing Oil excel. These charts show how MPT Thirty-K, in this example with 5W30, beats the competition in evaporation loss and high temperature/high shear tests. These tests are true indicators of the ability of a motor oil to reduce heat, friction and wear in high performance engines.

With a naturally high detergency and dispersants, extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles are possible with MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. For engines subjected to severe driving conditions such as stop and go driving, frequent short trips, turbo/super chargers, and performance modifications, we recommend no more than 15,000 miles between oil changes. Oil filters should be changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Please note: MPT Thirty-K High Performance Motor Oils are formulated with a blend of ester and polyalphaolefin base stocks to achieve the proper viscosity. No viscosity modifier is added. During storage separation/settlement is expected. Please shake the container well before pouring.

Just pointing out the inaccuracy of the premise that ALL synthetic oils contain group I,II or III. Not an endorsement. Use what you want.

kschachn: Perhaps I was confused about the winter rating. I did not realize that the 0W-XX oil can be thicker than its 5W or 10W counterpart.

Currently, the only approved oil that I would consider is M1 5W50. 15W50 is listed in Owner's Manual chart below, though a brand name is not. I am sure the 15W50 on this chart refers to the older formulation of M1 15W50. But I notice that 5W50 is not shown on this chart:

[Linked Image]

I know you keep stating that some oils are approved and some are not and that I should use an oil on the approved list and I largely agree. But beyond that, I think that the M1 15W50 issue is in a bit of a gray area, b/c the owner's manual lists 15W50 and the outdated link I posted previously lists 15W50; albeit, an older formulation. Thus, logically it follows that the newer formulation of M1 15W50 could probably be substituted.

GMBoy: Even though M1 15W50 is not on the 229.3 Mercedes Approval list, I have indeed had good luck with it and I am inclined to switch back to it.

sloinker: Thanks for the MPT information. I thought that there must be at least a few fully synthetic oil that used only Group IV & V base stock. I do; however, agree with the other forum members that the separation/settling and the shake before using warning are highly suspect. + MPT is rather expensive.

PlmTac: Agreed.

DGXR: Thanks. I agree that performance is more important than the base stock, especially now that I have been schooled by the members here.

aquariuscsm: Good point. The old approvals, though outdated, are still valid but do not take the new oils and formulations into consideration.

Last edited:
Penrite 10-Tenths Premium 0W40
It's 100% PAO and Ester.
It carries the following specs
MANUFACTURER'S (OEM) APPROVALS & INDUSTRY LICENSES

MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40

INDUSTRY & MANUFACTURER'S PERFORMANCE LEVELS

ACEA A3/B4
API SN
API SN/CF
BMW LL-01
Ford M2C937-A
Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB 229.3.
MB 229.5.
Porsche A40
Renault RN 0700
Renault RN 0710
VW 502 00
VW 505 00

They also make a 10-Tenths 15W50, it's also 100% PAO and Ester, but with more ZDDP and less manufacturers specs.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Auto-Rx

I checked out their website and read some of the forum entries and it looks like an excellent product. Has anyone used it in a Mercedes M119 engine? Even though my engine is not suffering from sludge, perhaps it would benefit from a thorough cleaning since it consumes around 1-2 quarts during a 6,000 mile oil change interval and produces a puff of smoke (not blue smoke) from the tailpipe under hard acceleration while at speed.

Originally Posted by High_Noon
Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Auto-Rx

I checked out their website and read some of the forum entries and it looks like an excellent product. Has anyone used it in a Mercedes M119 engine? Even though my engine is not suffering from sludge, perhaps it would benefit from a thorough cleaning since it consumes around 1-2 quarts during a 6,000 mile oil change interval and produces a puff of smoke (not blue smoke) from the tailpipe under hard acceleration while at speed.

Lol. Are you sure you're new here?

Yes, why? Has Auto-RX been discussed here before? What was the verdict?

Probably a scam since I've never heard of it before.

Last edited:
SR5: Penrite looks interesting, but too difficult to source here in the US.

Yeah, shame it's too hard and expensive for you to get. The Penrite 10-Tenths 15W50 carries API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, MB 229.1 and VW 502/505 all in a Group IV / V base.

BTW to answer you question about motorcycle oils, because many bikes have a shared sump (gear box and engine use the same oil), they tend to have much higher ZDDP (zinc) for anti-wear in the gear box, plus they run more shear stable VII polymers to resist mechanical shear in the gear box.

Shear resistant VII (viscosity index improvers) are good, but they tend to be less efficient, so more VII are required. Or so I believe, talking to formulators here.

The extra ZDDP will be good at protecting your car engine (anti-wear agent), and it also preserves the oil (anti-oxidant), and it quenches LSPI events (in a GDTI engine), but if you are burning oil it will poison your exhaust cat quicker.

I have no problem with motorcycle oils in older cars, but not for a modern car. Just my 2 cents.

SR5: Thanks for the info on motorcycle oil. I didn't realize that motorcycle oil had extra ZDDP. I use Shell Rotella 10W40 in my '63 Studebaker R/2 Super Hawk due to the higher level of ZDDP in that oil.

Last edited:

Yes, why? Has Auto-RX been discussed here before? What was the verdict?

Probably a scam since I've never heard of it before.

Auto RX is a scam. If you're worried about sludge, go back to using Mobil 1, which will clean up any present. Since you used 15w-50 you can use that; or 0W-40 which carries numerous specs like Porsche A40, and Mercedes Benz 229.5. Or Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40, which is made specifically for Mercedes products and carries the 229.5 approval. Alternatively, you can use Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40 or 5w40; or Castrol Edge 0w40, all carry 229.5. Stop overthinking this: modern synthetic oils irrespective of specific base stocks from major brands are vastly superior to anything that existed in 1994, even Mobil 1 15w-50 which doesn't carry Mercedes approvals.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by tig1
aquariuscsm: Thanks for the reply. I am currently in El Paso, although I grew up in Dallas. I will be in Dallas soon for a few weeks.

The reason I switched from Mobil 1 15W50 is b/c it is not a true synthetic oil - it has a group III base stock.

The grp 3 thing is false. All M1 oils have a blend of base stock which includes esters and PAO and considered Grp 4. There are no oils with base stocks of PAO only. All are blends for better performance.

Is this actually true? Don't some oils contain only PAO's. Doesn't red Line and Amsoil among others sell Blends of IV/V

Isn't M1 oil a grp 3 Visom base stock with certain grades containing a splash of pao to get the pour point down?

That's not what the new SDS sheets show. The regular M1 line shows increasing use of Gas-to-liquid base-stock use, and the EP and AP line sometimes show 50-75% PAO. Additionally Alkylated Naphthalene (group 5) is used in almost all the blends.

Castrol GTX would be the best 10w40 in M119 engine
If toy have oil leaks ....
If not then Use Redline oil...
Visit 500eboard website you will find oil information... there guys having car with M119 engines

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Mobil 1 seems to be the cheapest and easiest to source, but is not fully synthetic.

By all definitions it IS synthetic. Only in your mind is it not.

Definitions co-opted big big oil advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back