Need opinions: 6" of my oil dipstick broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
off and "we think" is still sitting in the bend of the dipstick tube - can't seem to push it through the bend. May not be able to, 6" is a LOT of metal to work around a bend, and I'm thinking it may be too much to just assume it would easily fall into the pan without an issue.

We have worked for hours trying to break the bolt free that holds the dipstick tube - it's at a stupid angle and we can't get a true grip on it.

My mechanic has never seen this happen before and is willing to bet he can get to that bolt.

Problem is, he doesn't have time to work on it til Wednesday.

Is it "safe" to drive this rig, it's a 3.2L V6 Isuzu engine, with the 6" of dipstick stuck "possibly" in the dipstick tube.

Truth of it is, we don't know WHERE this broken piece is.

I have tried draining the oil and locating it through the drain hole - but to no avail, this drain hole is about 1/2" deep and you can't see inside at all.

Haven't turned the key since that happened. I can't afford to loose this engine.

I have had some great opinions from the Oil filter forum, but would like other opinions as well.

A piece of metal that large would never make it past the oil pickup screen, so there should be no danger of it getting sucked up. I think you're right, though, that it's still partially in the tube. The bottom of the dipstick piece is probably touching the bottom of the pan with the top in the bottom of the tube. If it hasn't moved with all your fussing, it probably won't move any time soon. If it does, I don't see how it could do anything more than sit harmlessly in the bottom of the pan.

I'm thinking that the length of dipstick is longer than the distance between the end of the dipstick tube and the surface of the oil pan. If this is the case than it would simply rest there ajar. Removing the tube would allow it to fall flat, leaving one to then retrieve it by dropping the pan.

Would it be easier and more thurough to drop the oil pan instead of fighting with the dipstick drain tube?

I don't think there's much to worry about with this piece sitting inside your engine until Wed., as I figure there's not enough oil velocity in the pan to sweep it up into anything even if it is "loose". I would however feel more comfortible with it in hand - things like this are fuel for the imagination.

Good luck.

Can you jam the top of the dipstick in so its O-ring is closing the dipstick tube in the usual fashion? Those things are usually under a vacuum and you don't want dust getting in. At WOT you might get some blowby OUT, which isn't good either as it can make a mess or fire.

Even jamming a golf tee in there would do some good.

I wouldn't try forcing the remaining piece of dipstick down the tube. But to get moving you could snip some of the broken dipstick off so that it could be inserted into the hole to seal it off. Running the engine won't be a problem. I expect your mechinic can get the whole tube out on Wednesday. Otherwise, he may have to drop the oil pan.

quote:

Originally posted by Ramblin Fever:

Is it "safe" to drive this rig, it's a 3.2L V6 Isuzu engine, with the 6" of dipstick stuck "possibly" in the dipstick tube.

it should be safe to run, the baffles in the oil pan should keep it away from any moving parts.

offtopic.gif
Figures it's on a 3.2.. those motors are horrible to work on... (I had one...) pray that your rear water crossover doesn't start leaking at the O ring to the upper radiator tube like mine did.. I fixed mine while doing the clutch in it.. otherwise you either have to remove the trans or remove the upper intake manifold (intake gasket set is $200) to even get near it.

leave it in the dipstick tube, it will never fall out of there. get a new dipstick and call it good. quit worrying about it. if it did come out it would lay in the pan.
44H

Get one of those industrial "pickle pullers" the bendy metal tube with the button that you can press and extend little fingers to "grab" things. Ugh, this explanation is terrible. Anyway, you can stick that in the dipstick hole, it ought to flex with the bends, and then youll either feel a stopping point where it touched the dipstick which fell to the bottom of the pan, or else where it is lodged in the tube. If youre lucky, the little mechanism can get a grip and then you can pull the rest back out.

Good luck!

JMH

[/QUOTE]it should be safe to run, the baffles in the oil pan should keep it away from any moving parts.

offtopic.gif
Figures it's on a 3.2.. those motors are horrible to work on... (I had one...) pray that your rear water crossover doesn't start leaking at the O ring to the upper radiator tube like mine did.. I fixed mine while doing the clutch in it.. otherwise you either have to remove the trans or remove the upper intake manifold (intake gasket set is $200) to even get near it. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I've heard of that O ring, and the trouble to get to it - hopefully, knocking on wood, . . well, I won't even say it. You can see where my luck has been in the last week
shocked.gif

Got the, turned out to be 4", of dipstick out today - came out of the bottom of the tube. All is well.

These engines are a
mad.gif
frown.gif
to work on, and I would love to have another one, but am leary too, as everyone cringes at these hummers. I won't touch much more then spark plugs, Pcv, belts, oil/filter, brakes, etc. the rest goes to my mechanic.

Don't even get me started on the moronic belt setup they put on those things (or at least on my '93). Since my sister now owns the stupid thing I had to change the alternator belt on it.. had to remove the other 2 belts, the fan, and 1/2 the shroud... it shouldn't be that difficult, but I say that alot re: isuzu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back