Need opinion: BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT

My in-laws have a condo here in Colorado Springs that they visit often during the summer (they live in Vegas, so summer here is their escape). In winter they come once or twice. They keep their 2009 Honda Pilot FWD here that I take care of.
Tires on Pilot are shoot. I want to get something new and was thinking CrossClimate 2, but Costco is out of them. Available is this BFG Advantage at $650 after discount for 245/65/R17.
It does have 3PMSF.
So, anyone has any experience with this tire in snow? All three of our vehicles have snow tires sets, so if it gets rough, they can take wife’s Tiguan. But, they often take our kids to daycare and school, and if there is some snow or quick change of weather (common here) I need decent tire for them.
So, any opinions?

There are several online tire stores that have many tires in stock, including the Michelin CrossClimate 2. Tire-Rack is one of those stores. If you compare prices of those online stores, be sure to include shipping cost. Some have very high shipping prices, and some are low.

The Honda dealer put a set ( all 4 ) of new BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT on my 2016 Honda CR-V before I bought it in February of 2020. I put 8 K miles on them since then. For my use they are very good tires. But most of my driving is at 35 to 45 MPH speeds with the windows up and the vehicles sound system playing my collection of music on a flash drive. They are noisy on the highway. Other than that I have no problem with them. There was a review on Tire-Rack where someone said those BFG tires did not track well on highways, but I have no problems with them, but I do not drive 85 MPH. The " Sport " means it is made to run well and even somewhat handle well in demanding conditions like winding roads in summer temperatures.

The CrossClimate2 is a better tire though some reviews say it does not handle well on winding roads, and most reviews say it is the best all season tire there is. Check out the review sections on the different online tire stores, and look on YouTube. Tire-Rack is known for very fast delivery like the next day or 2, but usually they just leave the tires on your porch and do not knock to let you know they are there. Fortunately tires are not a high theft item because there are sooooooo many different sizes. Be sure you have a local location that will install tires you bought online before you buy them. Expect to pay a premium for service if you did not buy the tires from them. And usually also you will not be eligible for perks like free rotation in the future if you did not buy the tires from them.

What ever you get, it would be wise to get the vehicle aligned at a place that has a Hunter alignment machine that measures front and back wheel alignment angles to 1/100 th of a degree. That is a very expensive machine, like $60,000 so expect to pay over $100 for an alignment from any place that has one. But that kind of precision is what these vehicles require for a proper alignment.

Last edited:
My in-laws have a condo here in Colorado Springs that they visit often during the summer (they live in Vegas, so summer here is their escape). In winter they come once or twice. They keep their 2009 Honda Pilot FWD here that I take care of.
Tires on Pilot are shoot. I want to get something new and was thinking CrossClimate 2, but Costco is out of them. Available is this BFG Advantage at $650 after discount for 245/65/R17.
It does have 3PMSF.
So, anyone has any experience with this tire in snow? All three of our vehicles have snow tires sets, so if it gets rough, they can take wife’s Tiguan. But, they often take our kids to daycare and school, and if there is some snow or quick change of weather (common here) I need decent tire for them.
So, any opinions?

I researched those for the 2013 equinox.. seems complaints are average to below wet traction and gets loud as they wear. For winter its above average for an all-season.

If you want the CC2's you should be able to special order them for delivery to your local costco.. about 5-8 days.

edit: added
I would look at:
General altimax 365 AW
Firestone weathergrip
Hankook Kinergy 4S2 X

over those BFG Advantage LT

What ever you get, it would be wise to get the vehicle aligned at a place that has a Hunter alignment machine that measures front and back wheel alignment angles to 1/100 th of a degree. That is a very expensive machine, like $60,000 so expect to pay over $100 for an alignment from any place that has one. But that kind of precision is what these vehicles require for a proper alignment.
I tend to subscribe to the theory that if the tires are all wearing evenly its better to leave it alone.

Last edited:
Yeah, CC2 is better tire definitely. Reason why I was going Costco is big discount ($150) and they are very good servicing tires.
In-Laws are slow, VERY slow drivers. That vehicle ain’t gonna see 85mph unless I take it for a spin.
If it was vehicle constantly in the use, I would only go Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone. I stick only to those three brands for every day use etc. (have Yokohama for track purposes on separate set of wheels for BMW).
These BFG look decent tread wise. I am not expecting to be on par Michelin, but would not like some bad surprises.

I researched those for the 2013 equinox.. seems complaints are average to below wet traction and gets loud as they wear. For winter its above average for an all-season.

If you want the CC2's you should be able to special order them for delivery to your local costco.. about 5-8 days.

I tend to subscribe to the theory that if the tires are all wearing evenly its better to leave it alone.
I can’t order online. I will stop by and see if they can order it.

I've had them on a 2015 Jeep Cherokee for a about 3 years now; about 40k miles on them. They're getting close to the wear bars. Probably will have to change them out next spring. The AWD system on this Cherokee chews up tires pretty fast, even with regular rotations, but I think BFG is full of shyte on their 70,000 mile rating for this tire.

They have a reasonably compliant ride. They are a good all season; jack of all trades, master of none. I like them more than the General RT43's I had on before. The sidewalls are stiffer than the Generals', have a better ride and are quieter.

We live in NE Kansas and don't get the snows like we used to in decades past, but they got us around well enough in 4-6 inches the last few years with the AWD. There were pretty good in the rain with no complaints of unusual hydroplaning, etc. Even though they are getting worn, they are staying fairly quiet as well.

Overall, pretty good tire and I might buy them again if the price is right, but I like to try different tires and we're getting ready to get rid of the Jeep, so I'm not real sure if I'll put them back on or not.

I can’t order online. I will stop by and see if they can order it.
Call local costco tire center and ask would probably work.. their website esp for tires is crap.. they go out of stock constantly but even the website says available for special order you just cant do it online. The tire website is almost as bad as their battery site.

We have the BFGs on our ‘15 crv. My wife really likes them. They are 3pmsf snow rated and handle better than they should, and seem a good all-arounder. It doesn’t snow here, but wet traction is probably described as better than most but not the absolute top.

in this category I’ve had personally preferable experience with the Yokohama geolandar GO15 and the continental terrain contact AT. The yoko is also 3pmsf.

For what it is worth, we had very little snow here last winter compared to what we use to get several decades ago. One day when we had about 4 inches of snow, I took my 4WD Honda CR-V EX with the BFGs to a local sore big parking lot that does not have any cement parking lot stones. And on purpose I drove at about 30 MPH and turned the wheel as much as one dares in a high vehicle like mine. I had complete control. In fact the only problem I had is I could not get the tires to really break loose and let me slide a lot to do some nice sliding doughnuts in the snow. I also tried tested to see how well it braked in the snow, and the traction is very good. Not as good as dedicated Bridgestone Blizzaks I had on previous vehicles, but very good for an all season. I like the amount of control these tires provide in the snow a lot. I have absolutely no need to have a dedicated winter set of tires any more, because of these tires.

For what it is worth, we had very little snow here last winter compared to what we use to get several decades ago. One day when we had about 4 inches of snow, I took my 4WD Honda CR-V EX with the BFGs to a local sore big parking lot that does not have any cement parking lot stones. And on purpose I drove at about 30 MPH and turned the wheel as much as one dares in a high vehicle like mine. I had complete control. In fact the only problem I had is I could not get the tires to really break loose and let me slide a lot to do some nice sliding doughnuts in the snow. I also tried tested to see how well it braked in the snow, and the traction is very good. Not as good as dedicated Bridgestone Blizzaks I had on previous vehicles, but very good for an all season. I like the amount of control these tires provide in the snow a lot. I have absolutely no need to have a dedicated winter set of tires any more, because of these tires.
That helps. Basically, I need decent snow tires if they get caught in something nasty, which is here always a possibility. Other than that, we have three vehicles on dedicated snows. They can always take my wife's Tiguan which is getting a fresh set of Blizzak's WS90 soon.

Call local costco tire center and ask would probably work.. their website esp for tires is crap.. they go out of stock constantly but even the website says available for special order you just cant do it online. The tire website is almost as bad as their battery site.
Usually, I would just order online. But their web site is out of stock recently more than usual, probably being affected by this supply chain issues.

With @edyvw ’s comments anchoring snow traction, I’d call these a win. They have been good on our crv in all other regards.
Thanx. Yeah, something decent if they get caught in some snow. Once they go through and gets bad, we have other options.
Appreciate everyone! I think I will get these and see.

Here they are!
This car (Honda Pilot) probably won’t make more than 5-7000 miles next 5yrs. So, wont be able to give you too much feedback. Maybe I put them on Sienna, will see.
So far good. Quite, comfortable, no surprises. I will try them in snow. This is FWD Pilot with ridiculous torque steer, so it will be interesting.
B51142C4-663B-449B-A1AF-7CC3FBA8437F.jpeg
A8618885-4462-4425-8A5D-EA533ADA0FB9.jpeg

We have them on our van and are very pleased with them. The van can now get out of the driveway (which slopes up towards the road) without struggling and my wife doesn’t have that “this is a death trap” feeling driving it anymore.

We have them on our van and are very pleased with them. The van can now get out of the driveway (which slopes up towards the road) without struggling and my wife doesn’t have that “this is a death trap” feeling driving it anymore.
Good to know. My in laws drive this when in town and haul my kids around. If it gets bad we have our cars on snows.

Back