Need oil recommendation for Toyota 4runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to BITOG. Thought this would be a worthy first post. We just purchased a 2004 Toyota 4runner, 4.7 V8 w/140,000 miles. No records from the previous owner, so basically starting fresh. The owners manual recommends 5W-30, API grade SL "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil. I live in south-central Montana at an elevation of about 3600 ft. We would be classified as easy drivers, but occasionally ,when I'm behind the wheel, A short full throttle pass might occur. The majority of the driving consists of a morning and evening commute of about 18 miles each way for nine months of the year. Occasional 2 mile + or - juant here in town. then a trip or three a month to a Big Town, about 80-90 Miles round trip. No known problems with the vehicle. I'd like to go with a synthetic if I could see even a slight gain in mpg. Been a Valvoline guy for a few decades, also am running Shaeffers 7000 Supreme in a '96 Buick Riveria. All that said, the Dealership has a pretty attractive oil service. Only thing is they are using Pennzoil. My only experience w/Pennz was in the mid-seventies and not good. Service guy says the latest Pennzoil is GTG now.
Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated!
Regards, Rick

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 would work well for you if you want a synthetic, otherwise Pennzoil's conventional yellow bottle is great stuff!

After you do some reading on BITOG, you will realize how good Pennzoil's products are.

Welcome to BITOG!

For the first change, i'd run pennzoil ultra and a wix or napa gold filter for 6-8 k miles.

It's full syn and it'll clean up an unknown engine internally really good.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
pennzoil platinum or ultra would be great oil for your toyota V8.

Last edited:
The pennzoil synthetics are good, perhaps another idea is mobil 1 hm. Until you know if it uses oil, keep a spare quart of oil with you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
For the first change, i'd run pennzoil ultra and a wix or napa gold filter for 6-8 k miles.

+1 provided there are no gasket leaks.

Thanks for the recommendations! At this time there are no leaky valve cover gaskets, no leaks of any kind,actually. What are the chances of a synthetic causing an oil leak on an engine w/this many miles?

Originally Posted By: mt4runner
Thanks for the recommendations! At this time there are no leaky valve cover gaskets, no leaks of any kind,actually. What are the chances of a synthetic causing an oil leak on an engine w/this many miles?

They don't cause it, they "could" expose one that was already there. Synthetic clean really well, if there was sludge plugging a leak, you'll find out after a few thousand.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind

+1 provided there are no gasket leaks.

+2!

welcome2.gif

If running a synthetic reveals a leak, what options besides replacing the leaking seal or gasket would I have?

Running a High Mileage synthetic with seal conditioners like Mobile 1 HM until you want to replace the gasket. Though if the leak is bad enough you'll just need to replace the gasket(s) anyway.

I recall some Toyota engines made in the last decade that would sludge up and plug *some* filters when ran over 5000k mi under certain conditions (initial AMSoil Eo for that application I believe). I'd say run M1 HM with an M1 filter change at 3K mi the first time then at 5k mi after that. UOA if you want.

I'm in a similar boat with a bought cheap/fleet '95 Ford Taurus that in the last 7 years wasn't driven much and has unknown deposits and possible leaks that PU/PP, M1EP etc might uncover, work around and begin to leak out. Current conventional oil looks fine and was last changed end of Feb only about 1200k mi ago. I'll be buying a 5qt jug of 5w30 M1 HM at WM for about $25 and putting an M1 filter on it shortly. Currently at 178k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back