Need oil recomendations, increased consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on the forum in a long time, please bear with me.

I have a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser with the 1FZFE engine. I was using Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck engine oil with good results; engine oil analysis were good and consumption was about one quart every 2700-3000 miles.

I then decided to flushed my engine (which had almost 200,000 miles on it) with the newer AMSOIL flush (supposed to have been improved/safer over an earlier version) before switching to Mobil 1 OW-40 European formula (I don't have a good rational for that so please don't beat me up).

The problem is this; after this flushing and then immediately switching to the Mobil 1 OW-40 oil my oil consumption increased dramatically, like one quart every 500 miles or less!!

So what does the forum think; is the increased consumption from the different oil, or due to the flush and maybe cleaning out something (piston rings, valve seals?). Note that this engine has used only Mobil 1 in it for at least the last five years.

Thank you

I'm unclear as to why you flushed the engine... I don't see how the 0W-40 oil would be causing the increased consumption, but I can certainly see how the flush could. I also don't see the need for the flush on an engine that quality oil has been used in.

I suppose your question is academic at this point. You likely did damage or at least exacerbated an existing problem with the flush.

Was interested in whether others have seen increased usage with the OW-40 Mobil 1 compared to some other Mobil 1 oils.

I actually have been using the HM 10W-40 as make up oil (2-3 quarts) and the oil consumption has decreased to about one quart every 1000 miles, still about double what it used to be.

Instead of trying out the Mobil 1 smorgasbord, why not switch back to what you were originally using (5w-40 TDT)? That way, we'll have an actual baseline to make an accurate assessment from.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Instead of trying out the Mobil 1 smorgasbord, why not switch back to what you were originally using (5w-40 TDT)? That way, we'll have an actual baseline to make an accurate assessment from.

This

Similar to a tranny with a million miles and some dude changes all the tranny fluid, it cleans to much, the new fluid is many generations ahead of the old and walla, it cleans out the very stuff that was keeping the tranny together,,just ask a tranny guy.

I'm hoping someone will chime in who has actually used the Mobil 1 0W-40 and could provide feedback on that particular oil ie: have they seen increased consumption also. Thanks

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Similar to a tranny with a million miles and some dude changes all the tranny fluid, it cleans to much, the new fluid is many generations ahead of the old and walla, it cleans out the very stuff that was keeping the tranny together,,just ask a tranny guy.

Walla? voila

Originally Posted By: Bob69
I'm hoping someone will chime in who has actually used the Mobil 1 0W-40 and could provide feedback on that particular oil ie: have they seen increased consumption also. Thanks

You really want the problem to be with the oil, but I don't think that is going to be the case. You can bandaid and try some HM oils, but the flush messed things up, removed too much. Your first step should be switching back to the oil you used before to eliminate variables. Perhaps your engine really does hate the 40wt. You'll never know by asking on the forum.

Another argument against high mileage flushes. That said, drive it a bit, there is a chance that some gunk near a seal (that insulated the seal from fresh oil) has been removed, and the seal will take a couple thousand miles to recondition and become pliable again, then will seal.

I haven't seen one instance of M1 0w40 causing leaks .

You've been using a high quality synthetic oil so there won't have been any deposits in there that the flush has released, it's the oil.

Switch back to the Mobil 5w-40 or use an API SJ,SL 10w-40 and monitor it.

I remember a Ferrari I was delivering parts to that had been on the recommended 5w-40 oil and then switched to Mobil 1 0w-40, it didn't work well. The Mobil rep was there as well and even he said I don't think it would be suitable but the tech tried it anyway. When he started it blue smoke started coming out of the exhaust pipe and never cleared, he drained the Mobil 1 out and put the 5w-40 back in and hey presto, no oil burning.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the opinion about harm of flush. So if somebody won't wash his body for a long time, it would be better to avoid future shower? Just curious: when shower starts to be harmful? After a week or a month? BTW, may be coil miners should not go to the bathroom at all? According to this topic this is dangerous for their health. LOL.

Bob69,
I would just wait for 2500-3000 miles. I have a feeling that your oil consumption should be decreased shortly. Mobil1 0W40 has high fluidity, so it should clean piston rings and oil dreinage.

Originally Posted By: timeau
I really enjoy the opinion about harm of flush. So if somebody won't wash his body for a long time, it would be better to avoid future shower? Just curious: when shower starts to be harmful? After a week or a month? BTW, may be coil miners should not go to the bathroom at all? According to this topic this is dangerous for their health. LOL.

Bob69,
I would just wait for 2500-3000 miles. I have a feeling that your oil consumption should be decreased shortly. Mobil1 0W40 has high fluidity, so it should clean piston rings and oil dreinage.

Dislodging the dirt from your butt probably won't clog up your nose and mouth...but I've been wrong before. You might have a lot.

Engine flushes on older engines can be like moving a blood clot around. All the freed up sludge and gunk can get places it doesn't belong, like your pickup. It can also uncover areas that weren't leaking in the past. There are many reasons why most (if not all) engine manufacturers don't recommend engine flushes.

Your analogy to cleaning the human body is ridiculous.

I have the same truck and have used M1 0W-40 for the past 10 years.

Never had any excessive consumption like that... but it does burn a little.

This vehicle is now parked and rarely driven, so I can't really calculate consumption anymore.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Your analogy to cleaning the human body is ridiculous.

No, this is a phobia of flushing oils is ridiculous. Same as the following logic is ridiculous too: "Amsoil makes excellent oils, but their flushings can hurt my engine". Do you think that their chemists are good in oil blending and SO stupid in flush fluid designing? Just child naivety...

Guys, don't want this thread to devolve into a food fight, but let's use logic.

This engine has used Mobil 1 of one type or another for the last 200,000 miles. The valve cover and oil pan were both off a few years ago and showed ZERO sludge, ZERO. Clean as a whistle. So the next question is why did I use AMSOIL's flush?? As I stated in my original post, no good reason (other than a baseline before switching to a different Mobil 1 oil).

So let's not get stuck with the whole argument that I "damaged" my engine with a flush. That seems pretty much impossible (running a high quality cleaner for 15 minutes while mixed with 8 quarts of high quality oil, at idle). Worst I could come up with is the valve seals were possibly cleaned up some, but again, there was no sludge in the engine to start with.

Heck, if it was possible (that the cleaner would damage the engine) then AMSOIL would have been sued by a few hundred thousand owners by now.

My main focus is on the oil. I have read, maybe on this web site, that others have noticed increased top end noise when they switched to the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil. I did that search when I also noticed increased tapping noises from the top end after the switch.

My own opinion, based on what I have seen with this engine, is that the increased consumption was due to the oil (0W-40) and was looking for confirmation, or not, from others.

I should mention, over the years the oil consumption has slowly increased from one quart every 5000 miles to one quart every 3000 miles. But the sudden increase in oil consumption to one quart in 500 miles is what surprised me.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Got to read the initial post; it went from one quart about every 3000 miles to one quart every 50 miles almost overnight after an oil change and a different lower viscosity oil.

There is one other possibility, the PCV system in this engine is known to occasionally suck up too much oil mist from the valve cover baffle. So may install a oil catch can to try to see if that is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back