Need oil recomendations, increased consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need "a chime in" from anyone here IMO you just need to switch back to the previous oil you were using .

Drop out the Mobil 1 0w-40 immediately, don't mess around, and put in the Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Monitor the consumption.

There is a bunch of old thoughts with differing additive chemistry etc. I would just switch back and happy motoring.

Last edited:
I was thinking of topping off with the 15W-50 but as I have about 5000 miles on this oil already (I usually go 8-10K), I decided to go back to the 5W-40 TDT Mobil 1 and see what happens. If my oil usage is still sky high then I'll have to maybe get a compression check done. The engine is not blowing any smoke, hot or cold, but it must be getting by the rings and/or the valve seals as it doesn't leak one drop.

Again this whole thing seems so unusual, such a dramatic increase in oil consumption after switching to a new oil

Originally Posted By: Bob69
I then decided to flushed my engine

Imo,this is something you should not have done.

I would try on the next few changes, try 10w40, then a mix 0f 10w40 and 20w50 until consumption gets to a limit that you are satisfied with. ALL engines use oil, period.

Very nice Landcruiser... Stay with the original 5W40 TDT oil and monitor it for a 5K OCI. PCV condition? Spark plugs? If it seems to run fine and does not smoke, I would give it a good hard run and then monitor the oil usage. Good luck.

I have used 0W40 in my Jag V12 and never had any issues with this oil. Many consider Mobil 1 0W40 Mobil's best oil... I would think that it would be a good oil for you to use in your Landcruiser.

No matter what I do, my 2005 buick lesabre uses one quart for every 3000 miles and I can live with that, although it is aggravating imho. Each hole on the dipstick represents 8 oz of oil to keep me in line, so I over fill the system by 1/2 quart. w I do write down my 1/2 quart overfill and date and mileage, yes I have run out of things to do,lol. PS, I have tried the 20w50 mix and still the same thing happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
No matter what I do, my 2005 buick lesabre uses one quart for every 3000 miles and I can live with that, although it is aggravating imho. Each hole on the dipstick represents 8 oz of oil to keep me in line, so I over fill the system by 1/2 quart. w I do write down my 1/2 quart overfill and date and mileage, yes I have run out of things to do,lol. PS, I have tried the 20w50 mix and still the same thing happens.

Maxlife 5W30 red bottle works very well in a GM 3800 engine. Most 3800 engines I know of, use around a quart every 5K-7K. Maxlife semi-syn may help with consumption. Try it for 2-3 OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Maxlife 5W30 red bottle works very well in a GM 3800 engine. Most 3800 engines I know of, use around a quart every 5K-7K. Maxlife semi-syn may help with consumption. Try it for 2-3 OCI's.
ok, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back