Need Oil Change Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Any M1 product easily does 10K OCI. I should know as I have been doing that for 40years.

Not under my driving conditions. EP and their newest offering might. Regular flavor I doubt, and AFE won't as per UOA data I had.

OP if you want to press an OCI, or you have any doubt get a UOA. What works for some of us doesn't always work for all of us.

Last edited:
Apologies OP for not answering your initial question. Out of your three options I would choose #2.

But if allowed to modify, Option #1 but farther than 2500 miles-- with all the highway, 5000 is not out of the auestion for ST.

Is the Versa engine supposed to stay away from dino, or was that a few years back?

Personally I would do 7000-7500 oci with Magnatec or Pennzoil. Fram Ultra every other oil change or a Wix, Napa Gold every change.

Last edited:
I would do a 5000 mile OCI with a UOA to see the numbers. Then figure out if you can stretch it out longer. I would also go with a fram ultra and keep it on for 2-5 OCI (up to 15,000 miles).

Get yourself a fumoto drain valve while your at it.

Mobil 1 EP & Fram Ultra, every 4 months ~12k miles. $28 for the EP and $9 for the filter = $111/year. There I just saved you 50%, and it didn't even take a 15 minute phone call.

If you care about warranty, SuperTech syn + fram tough guard for 5K, ~$25 = $175/year.

What is the oil fill capacity with the filter for the Versa? That could be a factor for the OCI's. From what I've read is that Nissan engines in general do not have large size oil sumps and filter capacities. This might necessitate more frequent oil and filter changes. Since you drive a lot of highway miles in a short time period it might be beneficial to get an UOA for the oil you want to use for the miles you drive and go from there. Your driving sounds like it would be easy on the oil in general.

Whimsey

I drive 3000 highway miles and a couple of short trips each month.
Should I do:
1. SuperTech oil + SuperTech filter every 1 month/2500 miles ~$210/year
2. Cheapest Dexos1 Gen2 oil + Fram Ultra filter every 2 months/5000 miles ~$210/year
3. Mobil Annual oil + Mobil filter every 3 months/10000 miles ~$240/year

If you're doing these yourself, I don't see how you can pay $210/yr.

You can buy 6 packs of Fram Ultra's or their clones on line for $6.50-7.00 each. $42/yr.
Pennzoil Plat on sale at WM $21/jug. Less $10 rebate. $11/5 qts. $66/yr.

I get $108/yr with 5 qt oil changes....or around $120 for 6 qt oil changes. There's always someone selling top synthetics for $12.50/jug after rebates (M1, PP, QSUD, etc.). And if you luck into an AAP/AZ clearance you can drop that oil price in half....or even FREE. And you can push the synthetic to 10K miles and cut the price in half since it's easy highway mileage.

If saving money is your desire, then start keeping up on the rebates and clearances via the Bitog Forum. $2/qt for synthetic oil should be your baseline going forward. It's ironic that quality synthetics on sale are indeed the best bang for the buck as a rule. No need to go conventional unless you're getting it for $1/qt.

Rebate and Promotions forum

I think all of your intervals are too short, out of your options I’d do #3 just because I’m climbing under the car 1/3 the number of times.

I’ll offer the following 2 suggestions:

4: Fram Ultra for 2 OCI of 10,000 miles each on a name brand premium oil (EG Mobil 1) (this is still quite conservative)
5: Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 AP for the full 20,000 miles.

This is essentially a new car with predominantly highway miles, as Patman says, that is precisely the kind or usage pattern that Mobil is targeting AP at.

Hello everyone, I really appreciate your help and suggestions! May I just reply to all of you in this post?:
First of all, the owner manual said API SN / ILSAC 5W-30 (did not mention conventional or synthetic) OR 10W-30 conventional. The interval suggested is 6 months/5000 miles for standard operation and more frequent change may be required if driven under severe conditions (did not mention how often should be changed). The capacity is 3.7 quarts with filter change.
And I am not sure if my engine is clean. Actually I regret having oil changes in the first 15k miles done at the dealer. The salesperson gave me three free oil changes when I bought the car but later I saw many people here doing a couple of oil changes during the break-in period. I don't know if my car breaks in properly indeed.
I love my Versa and I have also test driven the Note. They are super nice cars. And again thank you all and have a good night.

One more thing, thank you for pointing out the rebate offers but actually I have mixed feelings about that stuff. Pennzoil denied my rebate last year saying that I did not have the purchase date on my receipts but indeed the receipts got everything on it. I know rebates are tricky and so the rebates are bonus cash to me.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Just change it every 5k on dino SuperTech - especially with all your highway driving. Oil filter doesn't matter - SuperTech or cheap Fram is all you need.

I think I'll echo this.... Highway miles are easy on oil.

I've run plain ol' "dino oil" for 10,000 miles many times when driving over 100 miles a day.

There's the correct answer and then there's the most popular answer. The popular answer is to run the OCI for 10,000 miles with a long distance robust filter. The correct answer will get people flamed and that's why they won't speak out. People who like to keep a constant flow of fresh oil in their engines by changing the oil often are going underground and becoming a secret society.

If you are doing DIY oil changes, with your high annual mileage I think you're the perfect candidate for a Fumoto drain valve and for using a Fram Ultra filter for 3-4 intervals of 5,000 miles. They're now rated for 20K. This combo would be a real time saver.

As for oil, how about whatever name brand (or Supertech) is the cheapest that meets your car's specs?

Full Synthetic every 10k.

Fram Ultra every 20k.

Truth be told, you could do Mobil 1 EP every 15k and be perfectly fine. But with EP hitting the $12 mark on rebates, you could just buy two of those and one Fram Ultra. That would be 20,000 miles of protection for just over $30.

Your type driving is quite easy on the oil. Personally, I would do:

Synthetic every 10k + filter
or
Dino oil every 5k + filter

And this is probably overdoing it. A good argument could be made for increasing those intervals 50% (7.5k/15k). Change the oil filter each time. Brands are immaterial, buy what you get the best deal on as long as it has the current certification (SG or whatever).

It is a different animal but I drove/serviced Class 8 trucks for years. We used 50k change interval on dino oil and routinely got 1,000,000
miles on the engines.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: tig1
Any M1 product easily does 10K OCI. I should know as I have been doing that for 40years.

Not under my driving conditions. EP and their newest offering might. Regular flavor I doubt, and AFE won't as per UOA data I had.

OP if you want to press an OCI, or you have any doubt get a UOA. What works for some of us doesn't always work for all of us.

What data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back