need new power supply for older pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: brianl703
The next newest Antec I have is the Earthwatts 380, and that's been running for at least a year continuously.

I hope you'd get at least a year!

I've got 3 PCP&C supplies currently running 24/7 for over 6 yrs now. We just retired another 400 watt model after 11+ years 24/7, only because the ATX connections are now too obsolete for any more transplants. Higher upfront cost for sure. But a greater long-term value.

But I do appreciate that a lot of folks really like their Antecs.

I've also got a few PC Power and Cooling supplies that have been around for nearly 10 years and I've only replaced a couple for the exact same reason (wrong connectors for newer mboards). It is the ONLY brand I'll use even though they're usually priced at a premium. As far as cheapo Chinese supplies go....I tend to be the unlucky guy that friends/family call when their PC goes south or they're having trouble with parts they bought. I've seen a number of Antec and similar units that have failed. It's usually the cheesy sleeve bearing fan that goes and then the unit cooks itself. To make matters worse, they often can't provide anywhere near the advertised rail current so you end up spending more anyway since you need to "overengineer" with a much higher wattage supply to get the current you need.

I've replaced two Antec units in the past year...both 6 to 7 years old, and run almost 24/7 for both of their lives. Neither was a "top of the line" Antec unit..so I can live with that.

I have a TruePower480 in my desktop right now that's pushing 5-6 years old now too I believe. So far, so good. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I must admit, the new efficiency ratings of the newer supplies has me wanting to upgrade...but might as well wait until this one bites the dust.

Agree that everyone re-badge everyone else's power supply. I forgot about Seasonic, they are indeed great units that work for a long time. What I also had good luck with back in the days were Enlight, they tend to be good low cost unit that doesn't have exploding Chinese capacitors.

What is good this year may not be good next year, so always check the review from newegg to see who's good and who's bad.

Back in the day, Enlight made decent PSUs, and decent cases, too.
Well laid out, nice, heavy gauge steel, and not a meat slicer inside. Full hardware packs, and heavy stamped card slot blanks. We rolled dozens of socket 7 systems into those.

Even Seasonic will make poop if the designer specs poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back