Need new air compressor.

Looks to be a Wayne Pump, How did it perform before the hole appeared, How much oil did it consume?

Them old lumbering giants last seemingly forever as long as they don't ingest a bunch of dirt & Oil is kept in it.

Pump parts are difficult to find unlike vintage Champion, Kellogg-American, Saylor-Beall & Ingersoll-Rand.

So I would be looking for a 5HP with dual stage pump.

If you arent running multiple big air tools at same time. doubt you need a 7.5HP monster then.

I would be tempted by this Eaton model.. but would probably go with something not 2600$

Cheap end this campbell hausfeld 1200$

Of course if you dont even need that much air there seems to be alot of 3.7Hp 60gal for 800-1k

Last edited:
Looks to be a Wayne Pump, How did it perform before the hole appeared, How much oil did it consume?

Them old lumbering giants last seemingly forever as long as they don't ingest a bunch of dirt & Oil is kept in it.

Pump parts are difficult to find unlike vintage Champion, Kellogg-American, Saylor-Beall & Ingersoll-Rand.
It has always run fine and has no problems building pressure but I've been with her since 2005 and have lived here with her since 2007 and the oil has never been changed. I've checked it periodically and it's always full. She has no literature on this thing so we am not sure what type of oil it requires so we have always left the oil alone since it still looks decent. Her Grandfather was a welder so he probably used it way more than she has. He passed away in 2001 so it hasn't led a real hard life since. It just didn't get drained as much as it should have and finally developed enough rust inside to blow a hole in it.

So I would be looking for a 5HP with dual stage pump.

If you arent running multiple big air tools at same time. doubt you need a 7.5HP monster then.

I would be tempted by this Eaton model.. but would probably go with something not 2600$

Cheap end this campbell hausfeld 1200$

Of course if you dont even need that much air there seems to be alot of 3.7Hp 60gal for 800-1k
No, we don't run multiple air tools at one time. That Eaton model looks like a nice one with a good warranty. I have a 26 Gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor at a house that I own that my daughter lives in and it's been a decent compressor but it doesn't handle a lot of the air tools because I think it's only rated for 5.6 cfm @ 90 psi.

It has always run fine and has no problems building pressure but I've been with her since 2005 and have lived here with her since 2007 and the oil has never been changed. I've checked it periodically and it's always full. She has no literature on this thing so we am not sure what type of oil it requires so we have always left the oil alone since it still looks decent. Her Grandfather was a welder so he probably used it way more than she has. He passed away in 2001 so it hasn't led a real hard life since. It just didn't get drained as much as it should have and finally developed enough rust inside to blow a hole in it.

Most called for non-detergent SAE-30. If it stays full of oil & had decent recovery/pump up times.....Not much reason in throwing it away or scrapping it, That thing could run another 20 years probably lasting longer than anything in the $1000 new price category.

On the other hand.....I understand buying a new one for simplicity & turn around time. I just hate to see this old Iron get thrown away before it's time, Maybe re-tank it for your personnel home use.

I have a soft spot for old industrial compressors as reciprocating piston compressor technology hasn't improved much in the last 50 years, But quality sure has went down with all the offshoring & production cost cutting by the few manufacturers that still build in the US.

Quincy, Champion, & Saylor Beall still build a decent 5hp 80-Gallon unit.....But you're not getting 40 years out of one anymore either.

Your Chinese 5hp 80-gallon units like the Eaton/Polar-Air, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll-Rand, Husky, Kobalt, Harbor Freight, & Craftsman last @ 2-3 years in a busy auto repair garage. Some catastrophically fail, Some blow head gaskets & some need a head/valve assemblies. I'm sure they can last many years if you keep the duty cycle down.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Most called for non-detergent SAE-30. If it stays full of oil & had decent recovery/pump up times.....Not much reason in throwing it away or scrapping it, That thing could run another 20 years probably lasting longer than anything in the $1000 new price category.

On the other hand.....I understand buying a new one for simplicity & turn around time. I just hate to see this old Iron get thrown away before it's time, Maybe re-tank it for your personnel home use.

I have a soft spot for old industrial compressors as reciprocating piston compressor technology hasn't improved much in the last 50 years, But quality sure has went down with all the offshoring & production cost cutting by the few manufacturers that still build in the US.

Quincy, Champion, & Saylor Beall still build a decent 5hp 80-Gallon unit.....But you're not getting 40 years out of one anymore either.

Your Chinese 5hp 80-gallon units like the Eaton/Polar-Air, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll-Rand, Husky, Kobalt, Harbor Freight, & Craftsman last @ 2-3 years in a busy auto repair garage. Some catastrophically fail, Some blow head gaskets & some need a head/valve assemblies. I'm sure they can last many years if you keep the duty cycle down.

Thanks for the information. I don't think she would be against getting another tank for it. I guess we would have to find something on FB Market place or CL that would potentially work. I know pretty much nothing about compressors so I wouldn't know what I should be looking for.

Most name brand quality compressor will out last a homeowner with the use and hrs. they will put on it with very little maintenance. For a business or mfg using a piston type for 100% duty cycle you don’t see it anymore you would pic a screw type compressor for every reason you can think of. I’m in a industrial setting using 100 hp of air day in and out we ditched piston types 30 years ago. Now with availability with a all in one unit tank mounted with dryer down to 5 hp be a nice setup for any business or homeowne looking for 100% duty cycle.
Personally I run at home farm using it for Sandblasting painting and any other shop use possible with a 7.5hp 80 gallon CH compressor I have never run out of air for any use and have for 20 years runs like the day I bought it as most will for any homeowner using it intermittently. If I was the OP I would pic a quality unit probably Champion I would pic a 7.5hp 80 gallon unit take care of it and probably last you and the kids.

Reactions: wtd
Back