Need new air compressor.

wtd

The air compressor on my fiancé's farm recently blew a hole in the bottom and she is looking for a new one. The current one is old and is probably a 120 gallon or larger. It's one of the horizontal ones that her grandfather had installed many years ago.

She doesn't really need one quite that big but wants to get a 60 or 80 gallon one. What is a good reliable brand to buy these days? I've looked at a couple of Ingersoll Rand 60 and 80 gallon ones and some Dewalt 60 Gallon ones. The IR ones had motors that were made in India and I wasn't sure how reliable they would be.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

Expected use? Constant high-volume applications (grinding/sanding) or more along the lines of homeowner, intermittent low-volume (Tires/Nailers/Etc)?

Sanding/grinding/impact wrenches/air ratchets and other tools for working on the vehicles, brush hogs, and tractors as well as airing up tires and other smaller stuff. She definitely wants one with a belt driven 230 or 240 volt motor. She wants something that is well made and reliable if that is even possible these days.

What's your budget? Some very reliable units are still made for a high price. A used industrial compressor can be had for cheap if you can wait for the right deal.

The pumps on the newer Ingersoll rand compressors that are made in india are junk.
I was wondering about that. I had always heard that IR was a good brand to get but when I saw "made in India" on the motor, that got me wondering.

What's your budget? Some very reliable units are still made for a high price. A used industrial compressor can be had for cheap if you can wait for the right deal.
She doesn't really have one. She is willing to spend the money to get a good one.

Sanding/grinding/impact wrenches/air ratchets and other tools for working on the vehicles, brush hogs, and tractors as well as airing up tires and other smaller stuff. She definitely wants one with a belt driven 230 or 240 volt motor. She wants something that is well made and reliable if that is even possible these days.
Single or 3 phase?

Here is a single phase one. Made in Ohio. Nidec/US Motor branded drive motor (mexico with usa and international parts). No idea where pump is cast. Pump does have ball valve to make oil changes easy

Reactions: wtd
Why not buy a new pressure vessel......If the Pump & Motor on the old are in good shape that is.

You can likely fit the Pump & Motor on a vertical 80 gallon tank, Probably need some shorter belts, Modify the Shroud to fit, A new Check Valve as the old one is likely seized solid, And slight rerouting of the discharge line.

What brand compressor is it? Model number? Horsepower?

Why not buy a new pressure vessel......If the Pump & Motor on the old are in good shape that is.

You can likely fit the Pump & Motor on a vertical 80 gallon tank, Probably need some shorter belts, Modify the Shroud to fit, A new Check Valve as the old one is likely seized solid, And slight rerouting of the discharge line.

What brand compressor is it? Model number? Horsepower?
I have thought about that as well. The pump and motor still seem to work fine but there has been no maintenance on it for years. It is a two belt system and I'm not sure what brand it is. I will try to see if I can find out tomorrow. It's probably at least from the 70's.

Here are some pictures of her current compressor. I couldn't make out too much on the tags since they were partially painted over or unreadable. I was able to read "Westinghouse" on the electric motor as far as name goes. I couldn't find a brand name of the compressor itself.

ruseyVDl.jpg

RIQjxCjl.jpg

LU2LCjLl.jpg

0JLNPGNl.jpg

Back