Need ideas, OIL FILTER WILL NOT COME OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel strap style filter remover. Take a sheet of sandpaper and fold it over so it is gritty on both sides, then wrap this around the oil filter. Now put the steel strap filter remover over the filter/sandpaper and reef on it. It should come off.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Last year I bought a special oil filter tool that has three pivoting arms that clamp on the filter as you try to torque it off. It worked really well for an odd sized filter I had to tackle.

It's similar to the one on the left, but had sharp edges to grip the filter instead of soft vinyl.
http://www.ctatools.com/oilfilter.html

I've seen a few variations of this (which I think you're referring to)

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

Im guessing you use a wrench to tighten the filter... I normally just put them on hand tight. Half the time i can remove them by hand also.

A strap wrench should give you enuf grip to crush the filter. If that doesnt get it off then you got big problems.

mareakin, I don't think that glue in the cup wrench will provide any results for you. I have an oversized set of channel locks that will remove any filter. You may look into buying a pair. It's a very handy tool to have. You should look to see if any oil has leaked out already, if not then crank the car and see if there is a leak or loss of oil pressure. If no loss or leak, drive it to a shop and have them remove it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Last year I bought a special oil filter tool that has three pivoting arms that clamp on the filter as you try to torque it off. It worked really well for an odd sized filter I had to tackle.

It's similar to the one on the left, but had sharp edges to grip the filter instead of soft vinyl.

Yes! I use these at work all the time. We call it the "Claw." Have not had a filter that fits in it resist it.

Soak the area where the gasket is with a good penetrating fluid and then use a pair of big adjustable pliers to turn the filter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Use the claw with a 3/8" ratchet and drive extension to get it off. I've seen these take even deformed filters off if the three arms move independently of each other. They sell them at Napa.

At this point I would NOT drive it. Most likely you've damaged the filter to the point where you will have a significant enough drop in oil pressure to cause engine damage.

If the three claw doesn't work, then cold chisel to the baseplate is about as good as you will get.

Make sure that there's no o-ring/gasket left on the mounting face.

This brings chills to my spine. I had the exact thing happen to me on my first oil change on my truck. I don’t have channel locks but I did have a pretty big set of pliers. I ended up cracking the filter and oil was dripping. I bought two types of filter wrench and all they did was spin. I was so [censored].

Luck for me a buddy of mine had the belt type of filter remover with ribs that grabbed the filter, he had it off in a jiffy. I’m going to change my oil again tomorrow and I’m hoping for an easier filter removal. I bought the same type of filer remover. But I too only hand tighten.

I remember one time I was really in a bind trying to take an oil filter off after one of the rivets failed on a band wrench which made it not grip well at all. Corragulated cardboard works as an excellent shim in band wrenches that are slightly too large FYI.

I have a very big pair of Channel Lock Pliers, and was able to get a few filters off for friends over the years with these. As long as I was able to grab and crush the filter with them I was able to twist the filter off. Or as Shannow said as a last resort a chisel will work, but only as a last resort.

When it was time to take the factory oil filter off of the vibe, it wouldn't bulge. I tried using both hands to turn it. I tried a filter wrench, it kept slipping off. I put a paper towel over the filter, put the filter wrench on top of that to create a seal, it worked and turned the filter right off. now getting the oil filter off of the filter wrench is another story!

Maybe someone has already said this, but all you really need to do is put a paper towel or thin rag between the cup filter wrench and the filter to stop the slipping. If you still can't get it off, then try tightening it a bit more and then try to have it off again.

Edit: Or the post right above mine said exactly the same thing. :) Paper towel is the way to go. To get it out of the cup just hit it with a hammer (the filter).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
mareakin, I don't think that glue in the cup wrench will provide any results for you. I have an oversized set of channel locks that will remove any filter. You may look into buying a pair. It's a very handy tool to have. You should look to see if any oil has leaked out already, if not then crank the car and see if there is a leak or loss of oil pressure. If no loss or leak, drive it to a shop and have them remove it.

I bought my 16'' Channellocks about 1970 and used them for all sorts of things. I think it took over 20 years to wise up and start using them on oil filters. Duh!

Did you oil the filter gasket when you put this filter on?

For the future, HEAT is your friend on oil changes. Filters always come off easier when the engine and oil are nice and hot.

Many parts stores carry a channel lock type filter wrench made just for oil filters. Get one and use a Heat gun on low setting or a hair dryer to warm the area up good around the filter seal before trying with the wrench.

Many years ago had a roommate that always insisted on changing his oil cold. I lost track of how many times he had the stuck oil filter issue.

Last edited:
Op said filter deformed so torque applied to the top will only worsen this. Need to grab the base with pliers or what you will.You should be able to see if a gasket is present, or feel out with finger. If none that maybe the problem, friction jamming between filter metal base and oil filter metal mount. Also likely crossthreaded and if you get it off maybe should replace the thread on piece on the engine to be safe. With all the force being used on the part allready good idea to change it anyway.

The "Claw" shown previously is the only way to go, i have one at work also and we all refer to it as the "claw", Ive never seen a filter it wouldnt remove

I use a metal band filter wrench to get mine off. ON the boys saturn the filter is in a awkward place and I once had the filter just about twisted in two before it came loose. I've heard of people taking a hammer and chisel and use it to start to turn the filter lose. Even if you tow it to a garage there is no promise that they will stand behind any damage that might be done in getting it off. Just take your time and take a break when you get too frustrated.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Its very cold out and metal contracts in the cold. If you have a blowtorch i'd try to heat up the top of the filter, let the metal threads heat up a bit and expand, and see if it will unscrew then.

You may just have to take it to a local autoshop and let them deal with it. Too; if anything breaks, its on there dime.

This is a totally unrealistic and unreasonable position. Shops can only take responsibility for things under their control i.e. for their mistakes. The only sensible position for a shop to take in this situation is - We will get it off and take all reasonable precautions to avoid collateral damage, but if any damage does occur, you will be paying for it.

I will occasionally run into customers like these -- anything that happens is the fault of the person working on the problem and he will have to pay for it. I can usually spot these people in advance and let them know that I cannot guarantee against damage. Sometimes we cannot agree and then the person no longer remains my customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back