Need Help With First battery Powered Impact Wrench : 3/8" or 1/2" ?

As the title states - I need help buying the best value impact wrench for me (3/8" or 1/2" ?) ... I currently mostly work with 10mm to 21mm sockets in 3/8" drive (manual Craftsmen socket wrench) .
*What I find time consuming for oil and transmission maintenance are all the 10mm cover bolt / screws used to secure the under panel of my Hyundai Kia vehicles BEFORE you can even access the oil pan or transmission bottom ... Same goes for the 10mm bolt / screws used to secure the air duct dam just to get to the Throttle Body for cleaning or to spray intake valve cleaner into . *Since I already have 3/8" drive sockets I suppose that is the size battery powered impact wrench I need ? Which brand / model have you had good luck with for the types of jobs I describe above - but could also work for bigger jobs if required ? Thanks in advance !

Others will probably have more insightful thoughts, but for all those applications you list, I would go with a smaller 1/4" hex impact driver with a 3/8" square socket adapter. You may have a drill/driver combo already that will do it.

Then, I'd go with a bigger 1/2" impact wrench to loosen the bigger nuts, like lug nuts, suspension bolts, etc.

I have a Milwaukee M18 Fuel high-torque impact wrench. Has all the power one will ever need for almost any consumer vehicle (like a car, not a bulldozer) but its heavy.

You could look and find out the highest torque required for the stuff you take apart and add 50%.

If you are on your back and holding the torque wrench above your head then a 3/8" if it will do the job.

How about a pneumatic, they are lighter? Needs compressor I know.

The fact that you didn't mention suspension leads me to believe 3/8 but in all honesty you could do the fasteners with a 1/4 and it would be much handier. If you get a good 3/8 it can probably do everything you want and then some.

I think Milwaukee makes the best impact drivers, they seem to be a lot more advanced than Dewalt and the batteries are close to the same price as Dewalt.

I'd advise you look past the tool you want now and see what other tools you would want in the future that uses the same battery, then come back and purchase the impact in the starter kit so you set yourself up for further purchases.

I've used Ryobi for the longest time. They have a 1/2 impact that handles most DIY garage work. They just released a 3/8 impact. And like the other post said, get a drill driver that can handle a socket bit if that's all you're really looking for. Not to mention all the other Ryobi home power tools the 1 battery can fit into.

I now use M12 and M18 tools. Starts to get pricey but boy do they do the work for you.

I went with the 18V Ridgid from Homedepot, because of their lifetime warranty.

It has no problem with out nuts.

WAY too heavy and cumbersome for simple, smaller fasteners, though.

I bought a Porter-Cable PCC640B 20v impact that has a 1/4" quick change hex. Bought a Porter because it worked with the Black and Decker batteries I already have (with a small mod to the tool).
I bought a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" adapter set (Black and Decker).
I broke the 1/2" adapter (still only has a 1/4" shaft) the first time I used it removing a driveshaft.

If I were to get another one, I would just get a fixed 3/8" (that is what probably 90% of what I use anyway) drive and use adapters if I need to use 1/4" or 1/2" sockets (or use a cheater bar for 1/2" to break loose like I do now).

I used to have the IR 20v 1/2 impact which was awesome (but pricey), and have since upgraded to the Dewalt 20V 1/2". It is much cheaper and has the same power.

For smaller tasks, I use the 1/4" 12v Bosch setup because it's light and compact.

Between the two, haven't encountered a bolt or nut I can't get free. Including axle nuts, stuck wheel studs, etc.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
Others will probably have more insightful thoughts, but for all those applications you list, I would go with a smaller 1/4" hex impact driver with a 3/8" square socket adapter. You may have a drill/driver combo already that will do it.

Then, I'd go with a bigger 1/2" impact wrench to loosen the bigger nuts, like lug nuts, suspension bolts, etc.

I'm with you on this...

*I appreciate the replies - looks like a 18v Ryobi 1/4" Hex Impact Driver with a 1/4" to 3/" adapter will take care of most of my needs for now ... It should have enough power to get me 26 lbs. of torque for my oil pan drain plug + speed up removal / installation of all those pesky under body panel 10m hex screws !

As others have said look at your overall needs for power tools and possibly OPE. Best to get many tools on same battery. Then you can buy "bare tools" rather than a kit which has tool, battery & charger.

I think Ryobi tools are below the Milwaukee and Dewalt but people buy them for the warranty.

Although most of my tools are Milwaukee M18, I do have one Ryobi 18V cordless chain saw. I wanted a small chain saw for one hand. Milwaukee did not have one when I got the Ryobi.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*I appreciate the replies - looks like a 18v Ryobi 1/4" Hex Impact Driver with a 1/4" to 3/" adapter will take care of most of my needs for now ... It should have enough power to get me 26 lbs. of torque for my oil pan drain plug + speed up removal / installation of all those pesky under body panel 10m hex screws !

Pick them all up and check them out. I have three 1/4" Hex Impacts: 18v Ryobi, 20v Dewalt, and 12v Milwaukee. I almost always use the Dewalt. It is fairly light and is very well-balanced. It just feels best in my hand and also has plenty of power.

I was at Home Depot last weekend and they had a Makita brushless with battery and charger for $99. I thought that was a smoking deal but another impact driver is the last thing I need.

If you have the available funds, here is a nice kit to start with:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...ttery-Charger-and-Bag-R9633SBN/305658534

Includes: (1) Drill/Driver, (1) Impact Driver (1/4" hex), (1) Impact Wrench(1/2"), (1) Angle Grinder, (1) Torch Light, (1) 2.0 Ah Battery, (1) 4.0 Ah Battery, (1) 18-Volt Charger, (2) driving bits, (4) belt hooks with screws, (1) auxiliary handle, (1) grinder wheel, (1) wrench, (1) contractor's bag, and operator's manuals

The nice thing about Rigid is the lifetime warranty on both the tools and the batteries. Since batteries lose life with every charge, they become an expensive consumable. With the lifetime warranty, when it goes bad, bring it back to HD, and get a new one for free instead of paying $90+ for one. Same with the tool. When you burn a motor up , bring it in, they will give you a replacement. The only catch is having to register each piece on their site with-in 30 days.

For what Im reading, Id go with a small 12V 3/8 drive unit. Some can do around 200 ft-lb, but they wont, in reality, break seized parts.

But for your needs, theyre great!

*What I find time consuming for oil and transmission maintenance are all the 10mm cover bolt / screws used to secure the under panel of my Hyundai Kia vehicles BEFORE you can even access the oil pan or transmission bottom ... Same goes for the 10mm bolt / screws used to secure the air duct dam just to get to the Throttle Body

1/4" drive being lighter will be much more comfortable to use on repetitive tasks, not to mention give better access in tight spaces. I have the Ingersoll Rand line including this 12V model. Once you try them, you won't buy anything else. They also have a 20V version with 165 ft. lb. of torque but that is overkill for 10mm socket bolts.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
*What I find time consuming for oil and transmission maintenance are all the 10mm cover bolt / screws used to secure the under panel of my Hyundai Kia vehicles BEFORE you can even access the oil pan or transmission bottom ... Same goes for the 10mm bolt / screws used to secure the air duct dam just to get to the Throttle Body

1/4" drive being lighter will be much more comfortable to use on repetitive tasks, not to mention give better access in tight spaces. I have the Ingersoll Rand line including this 12V model. Once you try them, you won't buy anything else. They also have a 20V version with 165 ft. lb. of torque but that is overkill for 10mm socket bolts.

[Linked Image]

Dude the M12 impact is half the size of that. The 12v tools that have a horizontal battery like a 18/20v seem stupid once you use a M12 version without the battery in your way.

Not sure of the M12 but the IR is about 5 inches front to back. I never had a problem with the battery location since the business end is on the opposite side, and it stays upright when you put it down so you can easily reach for it the next time you use it. To each his own.

Just got the Harbor Freight Earthquake XT 3/8 inch drive electric ratchet, is what they think they call it, and I love it, $99 with coupon. You can moving at a slower speed so if you just snugging stuff up you can keep an eye on it, impacts are great, but I think this electric ratchet type is more useful for the mostly lighter maintenance one may be doing.

On taking stuff off I'd suggest just get up corded 1/2 inch electric ratchet and use that when you need to, probably won't really need to a lot except for lug nuts. And if you're really getting into some tough stuff, get the air tools I guess it's probably the next step up from there.

Walmart is also got the 3/8 inch drive Hyper Tough brand impact ratchet and I think it's about $40, I would go for that one because It's pretty lightweight and maneuverable. I compare it to that Genesis from fleet farm I have, another 3/8 drive which is slightly bigger and heavier and I just wish I would have got the one from Walmart, though they're both gonna be pretty equivalent for the most part.

My post might be geared for the budget limited, Good luck with whatever you do.

I have a few of the Kobalt 24V brushless cordless power tools, including their 1/4" hex impact driver, which I use adapters to convert it to 3/8 or 1/2". Does 95% of fasteners I come across in automotive and household applications. Won't get lug nuts off, or anything requiring an obscene amount of torque, but it's great for most auto fasteners.

I chose the Kobalt brands because of price, reviews, and the fact that their batteries are very reasonably priced. At the time, you could pick up 1.5 amp hour batteries for $10 each, I bought 5 of them. 2ah batteries were $20, 4ah $40 and 5ah were $50. Really can't beat that. Have nothing but good things to say about the performance of the tools. Have a hammer drill, 1/4" hex impact, 1/2" impact, 5" angle grinder and circular saw, all have been fantastic. I think the starter kit with drill, impact driver, battery & charger is around $100 if you can find it on sale, or go on Ebay and spend $0.99 on a Lowes $20 off $100 coupon.

Back