need help with choosing tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been very happy with the Yokohamas that I've purchased. I'd say go with those for the money the work really well.

IMHO, Falkens have the look without the performance. Thats the point of those. Cheap for guys that the image of performance without actually getting it. I see lots of vehicles w/ huge rims and Falkens. FWIW I've never seen a track car on Falkens.

quote:

Originally posted by gr8gatzby:
comfort is goal #1. curvy mountain roads will be travelled extensively, even minor squeeling at acceptable speeds around the turns is unacceptable.

me thinks i've settled on the Yokohama AVID V4S 205/55. this is not set in stone, but they seem to be the best bang for the buck. any experiences with these tires....

Why are you going to a 55 series and keeping the width the same? You are going to lose comfort and your speedo and odometer will be off by 6.3%. As mentioned above, a 215/60(1.3% off) or 225/60(.5% off) would be a much better choice if departing from stock series.

I would consider the Kumho ASX to be a better bang for the buck tire than the Yoko V4S.

Is this the SE?

The 205/55 is the right profile if that's the case.

If your decision is all about max performance AND comfort AND all-season use, then the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is the best of breed. But you will PAY dearly for that caliber of tire. I run these on an R and they are THAT good.

But I agree with Vader, between the Yoko and Kumho, the latter is the better value. I'd still take the Conti or Exalto over either on an XC, which isn't really tuned for sport-level handling.

You can get the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S in that size. I'd have a hard time picking between that one and the Kumho ASX, which is almost half the price.

i would highly recommend the Yoko Avid H4S. i have had them on my civic for about 15k now and i love them! the only thing i dont like is their snow traction. aside from that, an excellent tire.

quote:

Originally posted by Nick29:

quote:

I've got the Falken 512s on my SpecV. IMO, it's a great tire. Very sticky, very good feedback, great handling

compared to what?

It's a love it or hate it tire and it's comments like his that make me wonder if the constructon specs were updated at some point and some people get a squirmy 512s while others get a stiffer sidewalled 512. Either way, the tossup is just not worth it in my book.

ended up with some all season Yoko's(60k mi). very happy with my Discount Tires experience in Concord, NC. $91 per tire + $11 mount/balance + $12 replacement warranty = $501 for all 4. the way i've been destroying tires lately i figured i couldnt go wrong with the warranty option.

ALL vibration is gone from the steering wheel now. h4ll my fuel economy as even increased about 2%.

thank you all for the multitude of input!

The Falken Ziek 512 is NOT a HP tire. If you want HP or UHP the Falken 451 is what you want. You get what you pay for in life. No experiance with the Yoko's, still would have gotten the BFG Traction TA as a bare minimum. Of course cost is cost and getting the super car tires evades many of our budgets. I feel the UHP tires haved saved my life and insurance premiums from wrecks on many occasions. The OEMs have nearly costed me my life vice versa. 50-100$ extra per tire with a cost-benefit analysis of my life is not a bad deal.

For 205/55/16

Top$$$

GY F1 GSD3 (made in Germany AA/A)
** Pole Position S-03 (AA/A)
MN Pilot Exalto A/S (H rated, A/A)

Mid$$

BFG Traction TA (V rated version,AA/A)

** = Bridgestone, abbreviated B-S which the site just auto censored
smile.gif

i ran the traction t/a's for around 50k, then blizzaks, now im on my avid h4s's. i would take the avids over the traction t/a's any day. the avids are much better in wet weather. the traction t/a's didnt handle standing water well, i would hydroplane frequently. recently in new england we've gotten a lot of rain that i did a lot of driving in. the avid's performance was top notch. lots of standing water at high speeds, and no steering wheel jerk or anything. just overall excellent performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back