215-70-16 or 225-65-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have a Nissan rogue and the factory size is 215-70-16 and there are not a lot of tire options. There are the options in the factory size from tirerack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Nissan&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Rogue+FWD&autoModClar=S&width=215%2F&ratio=70&diameter=16&sortCode=45500&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=All. However discount tire gives the 225-65-16 as an optional size and there seem to be better tire options as well these are the options in this size from tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=225%2F&ratio=65&diameter=16

So in the 65 series I can get the Michelin primacy mxv4 in the 70 series the best tire seems to be a bridgestone dueller h/l Ecopia or the Continental cross contact lx20 with ecoplus and I have read the reviews on that tire and they seem great. good price, but it is an S rated tire...factory is H rated. What do you guys think? I do not need tires now but I will probably around 6 months from now. I am open to all suggestions. I live in Florida so its hot and rains a lot. I am open to all suggestions. TIA

Very good that you are starting your search early. You will get opinions of all kinds and they'll be very good opinions, I suspect!

Keep in mind that you need to set a criteria for what climate you live in, your particular driving style or other drivers in the family and, what are you looking for your tires to do beyond what they're doing now??? The tires you listed above are all probably very good but, narrow down your specific likes/dislikes in tires...e.g.

I want more in a tire than that they're just, round & black! Handling is low(er) but, not low on my priority list. I want quiet, good riding & handling. But, mainly I want good foul weather traction and hydroplaning resistance. Tire life is also low for me as I never get the rated miles anywaaaaaay!

I always tell people..."If you like what's on the vehicle now, get'em again!" You already know how they perform!
laugh.gif
If not, what are the things that you don't like and work on improving those atributes
smile.gif

What about tire life(treadwear rating). You may want a longer wearing tire so they don't melt away in the FL heat during the summer months!

Last edited:
In addition to my above comments:

The Primacy MXV 4 is a very good tire! It would probably handle a bit better in a "65" series than a "70" series but, you may never feel it! You'll want astetics as well so, look for the size that is also pleasing to the eye!

Do you want lower/wider or taller/narrower? Remember, you have to live with'em for some time!

Also keep in mind that if you step down in speed rating from OE, your installer may refuse to install the new tires...just a thought!

Last edited:
Thanks Char Baby I was hoping you would chime in. The factory tire is a Continental 4x4 contact. I am happy with the tire other than the noise on certain roads is very loud and I have had 4 nails in these set of tires within 30K miles.....not sure if I can blame the tire for that or if its just the way things are. But I have never had that many nails in my life...so I dont know. I would rate wet traction as a priority....along with straight line performance and ability to keep a good balance. I had an old Mercedes that was sensitive to wheel balance and Yokos seemed to hold a balance better than any other for me. Durability is probably next. I just dont want to buy tires often. I drive 3 days a week 10 miles each way to work in mixed stop and go and long city stretches. Then at least one day I drive 80 miles each way to go mountain biking which is all highway. As far as looks are concerned I really dont care all that much. Its a nissan rogue which is not that best looking car to me by any stretch....but I do like the wheel protection given by a 70 series....not sure a 65 is much less.....I have bent a rim on a 60 series however. Fuel mileage is another concern. So yeah.....sorry to jump around.

Ok I forgot one thing.....the legality of going to a lower speed rated tire...and is there any legality issue with changing between these sizes?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Ok I forgot one thing.....the legality of going to a lower speed rated tire...and is there any legality issue with changing between these sizes?

I'm not sure! I don't think so but, it may depend on the shop that's installin'em! Good luck and if I can help further, PM me!

I know you said 215/70 -16 or 225/65 -16, but I have a Saturn VUE and the standard tire sizes are 215/60 - 16 or 235/65 -16.

I know there is a rule for changing tire sizes,and I'm not sure that this fits. One thing you want to check is the overall diameter, which is usually stated on Tirerack.

I don't think there is anything illegal about changing tire sizes, but you should realize it might affect your speedometer reading.

Also I might mention I ordered Continental ContiProContact ( I think that is the name. I don't know why they have such confusing names for their tires) from Walmart and then had them install them. I think they are S rated but I have had them a couple of years and I like them just fine. They might not be quite as good in snow as the factory Bridgestone Duelers, but they are quieter and have lots of sipes so pretty good traction in rain and light snow.

Another tire I am seriously looking into and I just read about it in another thread is the General Alitmax RT43

Many shops will not install tires with a lower speed rating than what was originally fitted. For better or for worse, that's a simple fact. Shop around prior to purchasing if you would like to install T-rated tires.

Most shops will install tires of a different size as long as the load rating of the new size is at least as high as the load rating of the original size. The original tires have a load rating of 99. As long as you stick with replacement tires that have a load rating of 99, you should be okay there as far as changing tire sizes goes.

We just put Primacy MXV4s on our Acura MDX and they're a great match for that car. P235/65R17 103T size for us. Smooth and quiet, and excellent in light snow and water evacuation. I also like the very smooth and progressive shoulder profile.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Many shops will not install tires with a lower speed rating than what was originally fitted. For better or for worse, that's a simple fact. Shop around prior to purchasing if you would like to install T-rated tires.

Most shops will install tires of a different size as long as the load rating of the new size is at least as high as the load rating of the original size. The original tires have a load rating of 99. As long as you stick with replacement tires that have a load rating of 99, you should be okay there as far as changing tire sizes goes.

We just put Primacy MXV4s on our Acura MDX and they're a great match for that car. P235/65R17 103T size for us. Smooth and quiet, and excellent in light snow and water evacuation. I also like the very smooth and progressive shoulder profile.

I thought is was Latitudes that you put on the MDX according to another post.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...MDX#Post3241705

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back