Need help finding new V-6 Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, after looking at some mid-sized trucks over the past week in anticipation of replacing our Durango with a Dakota or something similar, I have formed another opinion on this.

Suzuki sells an Equator truck which might as well be a rebadged Nissan Frontier. 4.0 engine, Extended or Crew cabs, and they are competitively priced. You also get Suzuki's 7 year 100K powertrain warranty. Knowing this, it would be the ideal truck to get.

The Mitsubishi Raider is a rebadged Dakota with a mere 5 year 60K warranty. The Dodge gets the lifetime powertrain warranty (and transferable in New York State if you read the laws!) No sense getting the Raider.

The Colorado and Canyon trucks are cramped even in crew cab form. I wouldn't consider that or a Ranger for family use. But a Ranger is a GOOD deal if you can keep your pen out of the options list. The 2.3 SOHC engine delivers great mileage and isn't sluggish enough for me to notice. The gearing is short enough that when you say jump, it says how high.

Toyota and Nissan have their trucks and I'm waiting for someone to rebadge the Toyota pickups. Honda Ridgelines are...I won't say it but it rhymes with bay.

You want to really impress the Greenies? Get an old Corvair Rampside pickup like Jay Leno. Then put a 24hp or so garden tractor engine out back and enjoy 55mph cruising at 55mpg.

My friend got the Raider for one legit reason....price. All things being either up to opinions or something subjective...all the pickups he was considering would have sufficed his purpose. I voted overwhelmingly in favor of the Ridgeline (I am a previous owner of one and found it's capabilities and function PERFECT for my needs). My friend is a penny-pincher and doesn't much care about anything else when it comes to transportation. He wanted new, a decent warranty, and a very low price. He got exactly what he was looking for. The Mitsu would not have been my choice....but he's the one making the payments.
As far as 'green' goes.....I am a very 'green' citizen. Why just the other day I burned up a VERY green, old plastic lawn chair in my bonfire. I made sure the plastic was green so as not to harm mother earth.

andrewg said:
Is it really the same vehicle as a Dodge Dakota? I didn't know that. [/quote
Not to mention the Raider has been discontinued. I dont know the exact number of Raiders sold but I beleive it to be only several thousand total. But 11,000 is dirt cheap if it is brand new.

Originally Posted By: occupant

But a Ranger is a GOOD deal if you can keep your pen out of the options list. The 2.3 SOHC engine delivers great mileage and isn't sluggish enough for me to notice. The gearing is short enough that when you say jump, it says how high.

That's DOHC, not SOHC.
thumbsup2.gif

That's is, if you're referring to mid-2001+ 4 cyls. 2001 and older are SOHC.

I never knew that you could get a v8 in the Colorado for 09. That in the reg cab short bed, zq9 sport package and the manual tranny would be a winner if they ever saw one!

Originally Posted By: andrewg

As far as 'green' goes.....I am a very 'green' citizen. Why just the other day I burned up a VERY green, old plastic lawn chair in my bonfire. I made sure the plastic was green so as not to harm mother earth.

and you stood over the smoke and inhaled it

after all if it's good enough for mother earth it's good enuff for you

yuk yuk

gotta go dump some oil down the drain..BRB

Originally Posted By: zoomzoomlx

I never knew that you could get a v8 in the Colorado for 09. That in the reg cab short bed, zq9 sport package and the manual tranny would be a winner if they ever saw one!

I think they might only be available in a crew cab..maybe reg cab in 201? the mileage difference would be negligible from the 5 cyl

Saw my friends new Raider for the first time. Gotta tell ya folks....one UGLY truck. My friend is a great guy, but man he sure has odd taste in a pickup.
Check out this photo.....http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/mitsubishi/raider/ls_extended_cab_pickup/1858/photos/exterior/front_driver_side_view.html
It looks so odd in person. He's got the extended cab, two wheel drive version. The front end is very strange looking and the whole truk looks very long and just plain unattractive.
Only my opinion though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Only my opinion though.

I'd concur.

I saw one in Miami Beach Saturday...I have to agree.

But as long as he is happy I guess thats all that matters.

Saw my friends new Raider for the first time. Gotta tell ya folks....one UGLY truck. My friend is a great guy, but man he sure has odd taste in a pickup.
Check out this photo.....http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/mitsubishi/raider/ls_extended_cab_pickup/1858/photos/exterior/front_driver_side_view.html
It looks so odd in person. He's got the extended cab, two wheel drive version. The front end is very strange looking and the whole truk looks very long and just plain unattractive.
Only my opinion though.

They are definitely ugly. I think Mitsubishi just kind of threw the front clip together without really trying to make it look good with the existing Dakota styling cues. Even the Dakota has somewhat odd styling though.

However, mechanically it should be a very good truck if cared for. I like driving '05+ Dakotas...I just don't like looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back