Need help finding new V-6 Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an odd thing about full-size pickup guys. Anything LESS than a V-8 full size pickup, is either worthy of laughing at or is somehow inferior in a masculine way. A rational discussion about the subject always ends up with the large pickup fancier insulting or slighting the other point of view with negative innuendo. I just can't figure it out. Then when you call them on it.....the usual response is...'you're taking this to personally'. The truly remarkable thing is that 99.9% of those attacking smaller frame pickups, especially the Ridgeline (probably because it's Japanese owned), is that they've not even owned one before. It's like politics I guess....left or right but no individual thought or sound reasoning goes into it.
It would be nice if civility was more common than wisecracks.
Oh well.

I'm pretty sure that there are thousands of happy owners of Tacoma, Tundra, Ridgeline, Ranger, F150/250/350, Silverado, Ram Trucks/Pick-ups and etc. out there. In our family, we have 06 F150 double cab, 08 Tacoma double cab, 08 Ram1500 double cab and 07 Dakota. All of them are satisfied and proud owners, not measuring which one has bigger tires and/or more powerful engine.

If it serve its purpose, then thats it. Be happy.

PS. My brother-in-law is considering getting a used Ridgeline for a great price or a new 4Runner.

Originally Posted By: Loopie
I'm pretty sure that there are thousands of happy owners of Tacoma, Tundra, Ridgeline, Ranger, F150/250/350, Silverado, Ram Trucks/Pick-ups and etc. out there. In our family, we have 06 F150 double cab, 08 Tacoma double cab, 08 Ram1500 double cab and 07 Dakota. All of them are satisfied and proud owners, not measuring which one has bigger tires and/or more powerful engine.

If it serve its purpose, then thats it. Be happy.
Loopie,
Well put! I like all sizes of pickups and believe that all can serve the purpose intended....from little four bangers to V-8's and beyond. Tying ones masculinity or ego into a vehicle can blind ones ability towards common sense sometimes. But....I do own a Mustang GT with three inch pipes!! I do enjoy my little Ranger though.

PS. My brother-in-law is considering getting a used Ridgeline for a great price or a new 4Runner.

Loopie,
Well put! I like all sizes of pickups and believe that all can serve the purpose intended....from little four bangers to V-8's and beyond. Tying ones masculinity or ego into a vehicle can blind ones ability towards common sense sometimes. But....I do own a Mustang GT with three inch pipes!! I do enjoy my little Ranger though.
Oops! Screwed up the post a bit....sorry about adding my comment into the quotation of your post!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's an odd thing about full-size pickup guys. Anything LESS than a V-8 full size pickup, is either worthy of laughing at or is somehow inferior in a masculine way. A rational discussion about the subject always ends up with the large pickup fancier insulting or slighting the other point of view with negative innuendo. I just can't figure it out. Then when you call them on it.....the usual response is...'you're taking this to personally'. The truly remarkable thing is that 99.9% of those attacking smaller frame pickups, especially the Ridgeline (probably because it's Japanese owned), is that they've not even owned one before. It's like politics I guess....left or right but no individual thought or sound reasoning goes into it.
It would be nice if civility was more common than wisecracks.
Oh well.

My last two trucks are Japanese.Best I have had since 1983.
I don't need to tow 10k so I have been looking for smaller.
If I don't have a helpful opinion I do not post.
For the price range you stated there have been a lot of low mileage Ridgelines @ Carmax lately.

Last edited:
I never equated a ridgeline with masculinity or lack of. YOU have stated all that [censored] NOT me. I never said a single thing about that. Please get that correct. You are the one with the village people "masculinity" facination not me.

It sounds to me you are insecure with your vehicle defending things that were NEVER said.

I called it an accord (which it originated from) and you start with the "masculine, maucho, big bad v8" garbage.

Just get it right and be honest.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I never equated a ridgeline with masculinity or lack of. YOU have stated all that [censored] NOT me. I never said a single thing about that. Please get that correct. You are the one with the village people "masculinity" facination not me.

It sounds to me you are insecure with your vehicle defending things that were NEVER said.

I called it an accord (which it originated from) and you start with the "masculine, maucho, big bad v8" garbage.

Just get it right and be honest.

Milwaukee,
You are correct...you never stated directly that a pickup is related towards ones masculinity. But in defense I never said that YOU said that. I was merely lumping together your opinions about smaller pickups together with a sometimes prevailing attitude that anything other than a full size pickup is a choice of whimpy men. In all honesty you must admit that many do feel this way and express it in so many words.
But yes sir, you did make comments that can only be described as rude, uncivil, and based on nothing more than false assumptions. For instance, saying that choosing a V-6 pickup is somehow only to be 'trendy and green'. Rubbish and dead wrong. Firstly, I am a hard-core conservative and even the word 'green' makes me want to vomit something green. Secondly, many V-6 pickups are perfectly suited for the vast majority of truck owners needs and buying more truck than you need is a foolish choice perhaps based on peer pressure (such as your own diatribe). You also thought you would 'add' to the discussion by calling smaller pickups 'fake'? What does that mean? Fake? I'll bet even my little Ford Ranger has hauled more total poundage than 80% of 'real' truck owners. Lastly, and perhaps the most silly of your outlandish claims.....the Ridgeline IS NOT based on the Accord. This is simply and totally false! (talk about a lack of honesty!) More to the point, and FACTUAL is that the two vehicles the Ridgeline gets it's heritage from is the Pilot and the Odyssey. Nothing to do with the Accord. It's like saying an F150 is a Crown Vic with the top cut off.
Perhaps in the future and to prevent further mucking up of my original thread....it would be best to PM me any further replies.
Have a great day.

The interesting thing about pickups is that the market is too competitive to really screw up. The manufacturers know this and put a lot of effort into their pickups. As a result, no matter what pickup you choose, you are probably going to end up with a reliable and capable vehicle. However, pickup owners are some of the most brand/model loyal out there, and we do tend to look for reasons to put down the other brands and models.

It all comes down to personal preference. A lot of people don't want a Ranger because of the way they ride, interior room, etc. On the other hand, I really can't imagine not owning one. I've driven most makes and models of pickup out there and for me, nothing else will do for a daily driver. I'm sure others feel the same about their pickups, whether they drive a Ridgeline or a Super Duty.

I stand corrected. The ridgeline is a real truck. I saw one on the way home and it had those rubber nuts on it.

This is just too difficult. You ignore things I said (why a v6 instead of a v8) and go on about what looks maucho and what not. It would be much easier for you to just read and comprehend instead of taking phantom offense to things.

A v6 IS STUPID when it makes less power and gets the same or worse mileage. I have said this already in my first reply to you and you didn't follow.

You state you are a conservative but you act like a liberal news reporter. You lump me in with others that don't share my views, you ignore what you wish, and then you attack bits and pieces while taking offense to a little minor ribbing like "fake truck" or calling your car an "accord".

Nothing personal was never intended but it seems you took it that way and I'm sorry it went that way.
Carry on. I give up.

Now, back to the original topic of my thread....
My friend finally found himself a new V-6 pickup. After going out this past weekend and test driving a couple (Sport trac and Suzuki Equator) he wasn't overly impressed. However, when seeing an already low price on a Mitsubishi Raider he walked into the dealership and decided to see how low he could get the salesman to go. After several minutes he got the price down to $17k from about $20k but decided that it was just not time to make the purchase just yet and walked off the lot. Within two days he returned to the dealer and offered them $13k for it out the door or he would walk away (thinking that it would rise from here). Well, the dealer said we will not make a dime off this (yeah right) but he would sell it for $13,700....tax, license....out the door. My friend got it! It's got basically everything he wanted except that it's not the four door version but the extended cab. Six speed manual, V-6, standard bed etc. Pretty basic but I think he got a great price on it. I think it's either a full 5 or 6 year warranty too. He told me that price was really his main consideration in the end as the Sport Trac was almost $30k and the Suzuki a bit less than that so he couldn't resist the deal on the Mitsubishi. He went online and checked book price on what he got and said it was $20k.
I guess the Raider is really a Dodge dakota then? Is it a very good pickup in terms of reliability? Any mechanical issues?
Anyway, that's it...thanks for the help to those that contributed in a positive way to my posting.

Well you can't really beat $13,700 out the door for a new pickup. Plus mitsubishi will be around for the warranty and dodge parts will be easy to find after the warranty.
May not be the "best" smaller pickup ever made but $10k in his pocket buys alot of stuff...

Its funny that you should post your friend bought this - I'd never even HEARD of the 'Misubishi Raider' pickup before this thread. They're not sold in Canada, and I had no idea what hey looked like - had to look up a picture of it on google!

That is a good price on a mid-sized truck - not too big, and will last for years to come!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Its funny that you should post your friend bought this - I'd never even HEARD of the 'Misubishi Raider' pickup before this thread. They're not sold in Canada, and I had no idea what hey looked like - had to look up a picture of it on google!

That is a good price on a mid-sized truck - not too big, and will last for years to come!

Addy,
That makes two of us. Odd looking truck but hey, he likes it I guess. I'm sure it will last him many years as he is apt to take care of things.

Very few of these things are on the road in New York. I've seen one around town, and it is the same guy driving the same truck every time lol.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
For that price I'd say the Raider was a great buy. With good maintenance and care it should last as long as any other pickup.

I hope so. I'm not a fan of Dodge mechanicals but perhaps this one will last him a long time. I think in the end he was more concerned about the bottom line (price) than any particular vehicle. It will be interesting to see how well his new truck holds up.

If I wanted a full size pickup, it would be a late 80s F-150. That was their best body style, IMO. I'm sure that opinion will be hated on, but I love angular vehicles. My Dakota does everything I want it to do and I like it's styling as well. In my eyes, trucks really went down hill when they got all 'bubbly' looking. I do like the tailgate on the new F-150 - whoever came up with that needs a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back